Options

I went to a job interview but don't want the job?

BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
Forum Member
They offered me a second interview. I said I was interested but as soon as I left I thought about it and didn't feel happy. I would be doing 12 hour shifts in a hotel and less money than I do now. I'm very tall and they asked me "do you think with your size you would fit in" and said some clients can be intimidated. I assured them they would find me a pleasure to talk to. He said he would call me but I don't really want it now and would rather just ignore it. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i would phone and decline if you`re sure you don`t want to take it, if only because you might encounter the same interviewer at another job elsewhere a way down the line. it`s good manners and good practise.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Just decline the interview when they ring, with a "Thank you for the interest and opportunity, but I am considering other options at the minute"

It's as easy as that.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I was looking for a new job last year I went to a few interviews for jobs that I wasn't especially interested in and wasn't sure if I would accept an offer mainly for the purpose of interview practice. I had been in the same job for 13 years so it had been a long time since I'd had any real interviews. In the end it was useful for when the interview for the job I really wanted came along - and I got it.

However, if you are 100% sure you don't want the job then just be honest as it will save wasting their and your time.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
    and heaven knows I'm miserable now
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Just be honest. The long shifts for less money are a perfectly valid reason not to take the job.

You never know, if they really like you they may offer you a better package.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I agree with the others about declining. I appled for a job recently that was advertised as 8:30-5:00 mon-fri and it sounded great. In the interview they actually revealed that they are soon running on saturdays too, and next year expanding to sundays! So if i got the job i would be expected to work weekends and overtime if the clinics were running behind schedule, so could be there until 6 or 7 pm!

They also told me about their policies of staff not bringing any personal issues to work with them and not discussing private matters with work collegues if it was going to affect their work eg if you had upsetting news!

It sounded so bloody awful that im glad i didnt get the job!
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    i would phone and decline if you`re sure you don`t want to take it, if only because you might encounter the same interviewer at another job elsewhere a way down the line. it`s good manners and good practise.
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Just decline the interview when they ring, with a "Thank you for the interest and opportunity, but I am considering other options at the minute"

It's as easy as that.

Both of these. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Oftentimes it won't be until the interview that you find out more about the job that enables you to make a decision.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better declining now than actually starting it and realising you made a huge error and leaving in the first few days as I have done on 2 occasions.

1 was before lunchtime on the first day actually.:o
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    BigNipper wrote: »
    They offered me a second interview. I said I was interested but as soon as I left I thought about it and didn't feel happy. I would be doing 12 hour shifts in a hotel and less money than I do now. I'm very tall and they asked me "do you think with your size you would fit in" and said some clients can be intimidated. I assured them they would find me a pleasure to talk to. He said he would call me but I don't really want it now and would rather just ignore it. What do you think?
    If you were unemployed then I would advise you to take it as it's better than nothing. However, as you are already employed and on more money and better hours with no questions about your height, I'd just politely let them know you've thought about it and don't want to take it further.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone and say to them. The fact you don't want their shitty job due to the hours and wages might make them think again about what they're offering people.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would wait and see if you get offered the position then reconsider.

If you aren't bothered, but they are, you may be able to get some improvements in the package that would make it worthwhile. But if not, then you can decline anyway.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Just politely decline the interview. The only way it would be tricky was if you were claiming jsa and the job centre found out.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

It's as easy as that.

Exactly this. All it takes is a couple of minutes. What's the point of ignoring their phone calls or just not showing up?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Both of these. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind. Oftentimes it won't be until the interview that you find out more about the job that enables you to make a decision.

That's right. Just remember that an interview is a two way process. It's only only for them to find out if they want you but for you to decide if you want to work there. Even if they offer you the job you don't have to take it (although if you are on unemployment benefits it may be in your interests to do so)
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been for many interviews which I could not wait to get away from and never see the building again!
    Once had a four hour intetview. It was terrible and extremely stressful. They were cross examining me, had me do literacy as well as competenacy tests. Then when I thought I could get a break, I asked to use the loo, but only for the person who was interviewing me to have a loo break too at the same friggin time!...only two urinals and a cubicle....obviously I went into the cubicle, thus looking like I was taking a dump! Bloody awful.
    The train journey home was blissful relief with the knowledge that I was never ever going back there again!
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget that an interview works both ways, you're assessing their suitability as well as them assessing yours. You were interested in the job initially, found out more about it (including their strange attitude to height) and you've decided it's not for you. You don't have to accept any job that's offered.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't sound like they'll offer it you anyway with their bizarre height discrimination policy.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can decline it but be polite.

Nothing stopping you going to the second interview either if you think you want some extra interview experience.

When I applied for the job I'm currently in, I was applying for other jobs as well obviously as I was only just ending a post.

I had the interview for my current job on the Monday and accepted the post offer by Monday afternoon, then dropped off an application for another job on the Tuesday and still went to the interview even if I wasn't sure I would take that job if offered.
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotels are awful to work for..In my experience.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only agree with others. If you don't what the job then going along to the second interview is a waste of everyones time. Just call them and thank them for their time but say you've come to a decision that it isn't the right role for you. They'd rather you be honest than waste their time
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. If you don't feel the job is for you then just hang fire. If they offer you a second interview then decline...simples
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    If You Font Want It Then No One Is Forcing You To Do It Just Dont Turn Up
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigNipper wrote: »

I don't think I would want to work for someone who asks such impertinent questions at interview.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tayorous wrote: »
    If You Font Want It Then No One Is Forcing You To Do It Just Dont Turn Up

Apart from the bad English this is bad advice. The correct advice is to tell them politely that you don't want the job, just not turning up is very poor form and would jeopardize any possible future employment with them.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Better declining now than actually starting it and realising you made a huge error and leaving in the first few days as I have done on 2 occasions.

1 was before lunchtime on the first day actually.:o

i left one after 90 minutes :kitty: