Options

Tivo - Will my internet make a difference?

RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seeing as its all the rage to have tivo threads all over the place :D

Currently on 10 MEG, hoping to get a Tivo box will it have a bearing on the operation of the box that by current standards my connection is not the biggest?

Will the box have its own supply?

Will it need a net connection to get the best from the box?

Does it get its own supply?

Will increasing my package (oh err missus ;) ) gain me anything of immediate benefit or is this something that matters down the line?

All of these questions were asked of me today in work (they know I have a S1 Tivo) but to be fair I was unsure of the correct answers to most of the internet related queries.

Any one got any info on the net side of things :)

Raven

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    The Tivo box will have its own 10Meg connection. It will not affect your existing internet at all.
    I believe it will come down the same cable as the TV programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that mate. :)
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tivo box will have its own 10Meg connection. It will not affect your existing internet at all.
    I believe it will come down the same cable as the TV programmes.

But the internet already comes down the same cable as the TV so I'm not sure what they are getting at by saying its separate?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I'm not really an expert, but have had cable internet since the blueyounder 512k days, and as far as I have worked out internet and TV comes down the same line in to your house (at a total amount which im not sure of).

Then your cable modem - in conjunction with Virgin Media's network switches etc sets the download/upload speed which you can use.

So working on that, I guess that the Tivo box will have a 10meg config file / virgin media network setting which will only take the extra 10meg from the total coming in to you house. Your internet will ot be effected as it is just like having a "second" cable modem in your house.

I could be completely wrong, and sorry if I am but this is the way I have always thought about it at least.... for example I have stayed in the same house since 1998 where I have been updated (with a few modem changes) Starting at 512k (2001) > 1meg (2002-2003 I think) > 4Meg >10Meg > 20Meg(2006/7 I think) and I havent had to have an engineer around to update anything except from a cable modem change! there must filtering going on to cap the service amount you have paid for against the "true uncapped amount" that comes in to you house before it touches the cable modem / tv box.

I hope this helps - unless im completely wrong then im sorry.:confused:
    Si
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that does sound about right. So as long as teh total bandwidth coming down the cable is greater than the speed you're paying for (50Mb in my case) then it won't affect you BB speed.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    sim116s wrote: »
    I'm not really an expert, but have had cable internet since the blueyounder 512k days, and as far as I have worked out internet and TV comes down the same line in to your house (at a total amount which im not sure of).

Then your cable modem - in conjunction with Virgin Media's network switches etc sets the download/upload speed which you can use.

So working on that, I guess that the Tivo box will have a 10meg config file / virgin media network setting which will only take the extra 10meg from the total coming in to you house. Your internet will ot be effected as it is just like having a "second" cable modem in your house.

I could be completely wrong, and sorry if I am but this is the way I have always thought about it at least.... for example I have stayed in the same house since 1998 where I have been updated (with a few modem changes) Starting at 512k (2001) > 1meg (2002-2003 I think) > 4Meg >10Meg > 20Meg(2006/7 I think) and I havent had to have an engineer around to update anything except from a cable modem change! there must filtering going on to cap the service amount you have paid for against the "true uncapped amount" that comes in to you house before it touches the cable modem / tv box.

I hope this helps - unless im completely wrong then im sorry.:confused:
    Si

Sorry, but......your wrong.

Its a dedicated 10mb connection - completely separate from your existing connection. It doesn't go through your cable modem or router. The 10mb of bandwidth isn't taken from your existing broadband connection and it isn't STMed.

Yeah, its going through the same cable, but its using different frequencies from any existing broadband connection. Think of the Tivo broadband connection as a bus lane, one to be used by your Tivo only and optimized for streaming video.

Or, to put it another way - if you get Tivo and you're not a Virgin broadband customer, then the Tivo will still come with its own broadband connection. As it happens, I added info on this topic on my Tivo blog last night: :p

http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2010/12/dedicated-broadband-connection-for.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Yeah, its going through the same cable, but its using different frequencies from any existing broadband connection. Think of the Tivo broadband connection as a bus lane, one to be used by your Tivo only and optimized for streaming video.

If anyone is still having a 'problem' picturing the TiVo broadband connection have a look at page/slide 21 from the Virgin Media Investor Day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Sorry, but......your wrong.

Its a dedicated 10mb connection - completely separate from your existing connection. It doesn't go through your cable modem or router. The 10mb of bandwidth isn't taken from your existing broadband connection and it isn't STMed.

Or, to put it another way - if you get Tivo and you're not a Virgin broadband customer, then the Tivo will still come with its own broadband connection. As it happens, I added info on this topic on my Tivo blog last night: :p

http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2010/12/dedicated-broadband-connection-for.html

Ah makes more sense, I knew it was something like that! its the frequencies I dont understand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    > its the frequencies I dont understand.

Think different TV channels because that is more or less what they are. The coax can carry loads of them (just like a TV aerial downlead can).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, getting a feel for it now. :)

Raven