Tivo developers with very small "d"

JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
Forum Member
According to the new update Tivo has now learned not to record the same padding several times using multiple tuners <<instead>> of starting other recordings on time

Rocket science it aint but V+ l;earned that lesson over 2 years ago so why has it took Tivo sooooooo long

Shame for the 3 Tivo owners that pretended duplicate padding was a great idea :rolleyes: - for you guys - it's gone i'm afraid :D

but what the lord giveth with one hand, he takes away with another

New update also includes "forced padding" so tuner clashes are much more likely (probably about 10 times more likely)

Duh!!! or what

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I totally follow the above Jethro, but presume its not good.
    Just wish the broadcasters would all just start their progs at the right bloomin time.

I know I WILL run into problems due to the amount I record around the same time. I've tried even setting it to record 1min early and it complains that I already have stuff recording. Guess I should really start to look to +1 hr channels or repeats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    According to the new update Tivo has now learned not to record the same padding several times using multiple tuners <<instead>> of starting other recordings on time

Rocket science it aint but V+ l;earned that lesson over 2 years ago so why has it took Tivo sooooooo long

Shame for the 3 Tivo owners that pretended duplicate padding was a great idea :rolleyes: - for you guys - it's gone i'm afraid :D

but what the lord giveth with one hand, he takes away with another

New update also includes "forced padding" so tuner clashes are much more likely (probably about 10 times more likely)

Duh!!! or what

You can still select your own padding when you set a series link.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand it either. What do you mean by duplicate padding Jethro?
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbcdesign wrote: »

let's say you're recording two programs on BBC 1 back to back one on at 8pm till 9pm and one from 9pm till 10 pm

you have 1 min before and 4 mins after as the default, so two tuners will be used at 8:59pm till 9:04pm when the entire thing could have been recorded using one tuner
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    You can still select your own padding when you set a series link.

Actually you can’t. When setting a programme to record or a series link you have three options - Record This Episode – Express Series Link- and Explore This Show. Using either of the first two results sets it up with the default recording options; there is no Options button available at this point. The only way to change the padding say is to go into My Shows and modify it from there.

However if you select Explore This Show there is a direct route which will enable you to set up the recording/series link with you own choice of recording options.

--John
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    JHM wrote: »
    Actually you can’t. When setting a programme to record or a series link you have three options - Record This Episode – Express Series Link- and Explore This Show. Using either of the first two results sets it up with the default recording options; there is no Options button available at this point. The only way to change the padding say is to go into My Shows and modify it from there.

However if you select Explore This Show there is a direct route which will enable you to set up the recording/series link with you own choice of recording options.

--John

Hi John, I was talking about the 'explore this show' page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    let's say you're recording two programs on BBC 1 back to back one on at 8pm till 9pm and one from 9pm till 10 pm

you have 1 min before and 4 mins after as the default, so two tuners will be used at 8:59pm till 9:04pm when the entire thing could have been recorded using one tuner

So the update now results in tivo using a single tuner to record consecutive shows on the same channel? or does TiVo still use multiple tuners?
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,306
    Forum Member
    In instances where padding causes a clash the padding will be clipped, not the start of the subsequent recording.

It will clip the padding from the programme of lowest priority. So if you know that one channel is more likely to air off-schedule then set recordings for that channel at a higher priority.

Nick Ontiveros
    TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/New-Tivo-Update/td-p/774663/page/3
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Blame the people who complained about not having it. I was perfectly happy without it.
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Not sure I totally follow the above Jethro....
    Don't worry. It's just Jethro being his usual patronising self :)
    dannylau wrote: »

Which, of course, would defeat the entire purpose of adding the padding in the first place. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the update now results in tivo using a single tuner to record consecutive shows on the same channel? or does TiVo still use multiple tuners?

So can anybody answer this?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Which, of course, would defeat the entire purpose of adding the padding in the first place.
    Depends how it is done. My PVR can share padding between back to back recordings on the same channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blame the people who complained about not having it. I was perfectly happy without it.

Sorry but that's just not true. It's not them that's wrong and it's not you that's wrong. It's bad requirements gathering.

The developers should have implemented a user changeable default in this release, then implemented smarter padding (which the S1 TiVo could manage, as I'm sure you know carl).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Hi John, I was talking about the 'explore this show' page.

Whoops – sorry about that, I thought you were referring to the main window where you set up your recordings.

--John
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member

not a problem anymore but many a cause of cropped recordings was where a programme starts ITV 9:00 - 10:00 and next program starts ITV 10:00 - 11:00 and other program starts BBC 10:00 - 11:00

not a problem until you add padding and you'll see that even with 3 tuners you're all out of tuners and programmes are gonna get cropped

for a better explanation check my 2 cents near the bottom
    Forum Member
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    ..(which the S1 TiVo could manage, as I'm sure you know carl).
    I do, but the comparison is not really valid because an un-modified unit couldn't do it. :)

not a problem anymore but many a cause of cropped recordings was where a programme starts ITV 9:00 - 10:00 and next program starts ITV 10:00 - 11:00 and other program starts BBC 10:00 - 11:00

not a problem until you add padding...[/URL]
    So switch off the cropping function and have Tivo record the next-available showing of one of the programmes. Simple.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member

As per V+, the Tivo is now smart enough to drop one set of overlapping padding so it only needs one tuner to record consecutive recordings - hooraaaaaaaaaaayyy

like i say - shame for those 3 guys that 'claimed' they wanted to rcord the same thing twice :D

but the rest of us will be happier
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like i say - shame for those 3 guys that 'claimed' they wanted to rcord the same thing twice :D

Wanting to record the same thing twice is one thing but mine records the same thing twice by its own, due probably to the EPG being shite. Last time was with Terra Nova, and yes I have it set to NEW only.
  • bamindybamindy Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Why should we really need padding in this day and age? We had videos 20 years ago that knew a programme was starting a little later and held off recording until it did.

Surely if you want to record a programme, the central systems should send a signal down to the box to say it's all ok, go ahead and record and send another signal when the programme finishes if it over-runs???

No doubt there will be a technical reason this can't be done... :rolleyes:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    There is a people reason why the technical solution to do this keeps cocking up.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    bamindy wrote: »
    Why should we really need padding in this day and age? We had videos 20 years ago that knew a programme was starting a little later and held off recording until it did.

Surely if you want to record a programme, the central systems should send a signal down to the box to say it's all ok, go ahead and record and send another signal when the programme finishes if it over-runs???

it does it by timewatching, essentially it's a glorified automatic timer. however there IS a system but Virgin haven't implemented it. It's called a Dynamic EPG.

each channel sends the whole EPG data (usually) and a live now and next data. Freeview+ and sky+ monitor the now and next, BBC and a few others WILL update that now and next on the fly live when they know a recording is going over schedule.

VM however uses custom guide data formatted for both V+ and Tivo and that comes from it's central head end. I am not sure if it pumps out now and next but if it did, the box would have to be told to track it. if it didn't then you'd have to implement it but that could be costly and time consuming.

TBH I ain't worried about loosing a few mins. to be this long without Digital Cable TV I'll be more than happy to just get the channels I want :D. Luckily this will be within the next few weeks according to their website. I think Harefield is almost completed since West End is done, just seen a few vans within Harefield it'self now so looks to be on target for the 29th. those who are on the Woolston and Bursledon exchanges can go ahead with it already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per V+, the Tivo is now smart enough to drop one set of overlapping padding so it only needs one tuner to record consecutive recordings - hooraaaaaaaaaaayyy

but the rest of us will be happier

Thanks Jethro for clarifying that. Great news that is!
    Forum Member
    bamindy wrote: »
    Yes. It was called PDC. And it was fine when everyone only had access to four or five channels. Now there are around 1,000 in total available across (mainly) three completely separate platforms (Satellite, cable and BT Vision)
    There is indeed. I just explained it to you.

however there IS a system but Virgin haven't implemented it. It's called a Dynamic EPG.
    It's not that they haven't; simply that they can't due to the reason you mentioned. ie because their EPG is out-sourced; and currently to different companies for the V+ and Tivo.
    Forum Member
    like i say - shame for those 3 guys that 'claimed' they wanted to record the same thing twice :D
    Nice spin there again, Jethro :rolleyes:

It's not about recording the same thing twice but about having enough padding at the start and end to catch the whole programme and not have the end off the first programme chopped...
    Forum Member
    ...off the first recording and put onto the start of the second.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Yes. It was called PDC. And it was fine when everyone only had access to four or five channels. Now there are around 1,000 in total available across (mainly) three completely separate platforms (Satellite, cable and BT Vision)

There is indeed. I just explained it to you.

It's not that they haven't; simply that they can't due to the reason you mentioned. ie because their EPG is out-sourced; and currently to different companies for the V+ and Tivo.

They can if they implemented now and next data that gets sent down the DVB compliant route.

so they could still have outsourced epg's but utilize the now and next data from DVB-C therefore accurate. but it's no biggie. :) it's how sky+, freesat+ and freeview+ do it.