Sky's catch up has shows missing compared to web site players

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I go on bbc iplayer for the proms eg and it's on bbc iplayer on the website version but sky's catch up doesn't have it

This happened across sky's 4od and itv why can't we all have the same catch up content

Sky and other digital platforms say relax just catch up but when we go to catch up it's not there when we want to watch it

Strange

Comments

• leelleel Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    That thread does not explain why episodes on the web version of the bbc iplayer do not appear until much later on the sky version
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment my bbc iplayer on sky doesn't have content for Monday etc but I gather there has been issues
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_w wrote: »
    I go on bbc iplayer for the proms eg and it's on bbc iplayer on the website version but sky's catch up doesn't have it

This happened across sky's 4od and itv why can't we all have the same catch up content

Sky and other digital platforms say relax just catch up but when we go to catch up it's not there when we want to watch it

Strange

I suspect in many cases it's rights issues. The broadcaster might have rights for streaming, but as Sky's implementation works via progressive download this may fall outside the wording of some of the contracts. So the agreement would need to be amended before the content could be offered.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leel wrote: »
    That thread does not explain why episodes on the web version of the bbc iplayer do not appear until much later on the sky version

Sky's catch-up is NOT a streaming service like the other services and all programmes need recoding to Sky's progressive download system (which eliminates most of the "buffering please wait" problems people with slower web connections suffer with the other systems). This recoding takes time.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky's catch-up is NOT a streaming service like the other services and all programmes need recoding to Sky's progressive download system (which eliminates most of the "buffering please wait" problems people with slower web connections suffer with the other systems). This recoding takes time.

It should be all automated though. It seems to rely on someone pushing a button at the moment? The reason I think that is the times vary so much.

It can be done quickly though. ITV usually manage to have the soaps up on Sky's catch up within 15/20 minutes of the end of broadcast.

Once they're sent from the broadcaster it should take seconds for them to be on Sky's servers. They'll be using some big bandwidth pipes between them.

What they should really do is make sure the programmes are on Sky's servers before they're even broadcast, then the second the programme ends they appear in customers catch up section. It really shouldn't be that difficult. They seem to make a meal out of something that should be pretty easy and fully automated.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I find it's not very consistent at times, some days content is available very quickly, others it can take days.

Seems to be the same programmes that affect me, take last two series of The Graham Norton Show for example, episode availability was very hit and miss, on one occasion I ended up watching via other means.

Even with this minor shortcoming I wouldn't be without it.
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I find it's not very consistent at times, some days content is available very quickly, others it can take days. .

If indeed it ever appears at all! I agree it is the inconsistency of it all that causes so much frustration >:(.
  • ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    were foxs on catch up ?
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    ken190 wrote: »
    were foxs on catch up ?

This channel disappeared last year, once in March, then after a short return disappeared again in July as far a I can remember.

Programmes are still available on a catch up basis but only via box sets /new series- very strange affair.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member

It removes all the buffering - and works better than any other system - pity more don't do it that way :D

I don't see why it would particularly need recoding?, or even if it did that it would take much time at all? - certainly no longer than things take to appear on catch-up anyway. If it's not there, it's because the BBC either don't want it there, or haven't bothered to place it there (yet!) :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It removes all the buffering - and works better than any other system - pity more don't do it that way :D
    Not always. It may not technically be buffering but at times the download can become available but after a few minutes watching a message comes up that you have reached the download limit and to backup and then have to wait for more of the programme to download. On a slow night this can be a couple of hours.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    It says it's available when it calculates that if the present download speed is maintained, playing it from the start in real time will never catch up with the download.
    If that is happening, your download speed must be dropping off after the programme has been declared to be available.
    :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    It says it's available when it calculates that if the present download speed is maintained, playing it from the start in real time will never catch up with the download.
    If that is happening, your download speed must be dropping off after the programme has been declared to be available.

Exactly - I wonder if someone else in the house is using the bandwidth?, or just the fact of the contention ratios?.