UFC Discussion Thread

Comments

• Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dana certainly likes to keep Bones happy though awarding him the 50 grand for fight of the night which was laughable
    the 2 rounds of Felder v Castillo was a far more entertaining battle.. Felder looks to have a bright future on that performance
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Jones fails drug test for cocaine, but they're not stripping him of the title because it's not a PED. I'd imagine Nick Diaz, who was banned for a year over pot, won't be impressed by that decision!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Total disgrace they finish lesser fighter careers for smoking weed yet Jones hooked on Coke and nothing said or done

the UFC needs to get some consistency in the punishments personally I would ban all drug takers for life
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Its because Jones is the golden boy and the money maker for Dana, if Jones had say lost the belt to Cormier I think they would have been bigger repercussions, but it seems as if there is one rule for one and another rule for all the rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another scenario I cannot get my head round is Conor McGregor getting a title shot if he beats Dennis Siver
    since when has Siver ever been anything but a mediocre journeyman at best
    knocked out countless times and he is the way to the title

Mcgregor stopped in the 1st round twice and he is the future of MMA
    I think not
    a reminder of his wrestling skills
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjwIZhT5hg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNSkuZKMXk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Its because Jones is the golden boy and the money maker for Dana, if Jones had say lost the belt to Cormier I think they would have been bigger repercussions, but it seems as if there is one rule for one and another rule for all the rest.

Weed is considered to have painkilling properties useful in MMA, and is therefore a performance enhancing drug, and cocaine isn't, strangely enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another scenario I cannot get my head round is Conor McGregor getting a title shot if he beats Dennis Siver

I think not

It's rumoured they've already provisionally booked the Aviva stadium in Dublin for a date at the end of May, so they better hope he beats Siver. (And that's the reason McGregor gets the shot- $$$$$$$)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    A Total disgrace they finish lesser fighter careers for smoking weed yet Jones hooked on Coke and nothing said or done

the UFC needs to get some consistency in the punishments personally I would ban all drug takers for life

I'm disappointed by this as well, they should definitely strip Jones of his title, by not doing so means they have a drug taking World Champ, and i thought Dana White was all for cleaning up the image of the UFC.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member

I think not

Not really sure what point you're trying to make by posting a video of a fight McGregor had over four years ago. You could have done the same with Silva when he lost a couple way before he came to the UFC and became arguably the greatest fighter in the history of MMA. Not putting McGregor on that level but he's a completely different fighter to what he was back then.

Don't get why so many have such an issue with this potential title fight. It'll be an explosive fight if it happens. Aldo has already beaten Edgar, Lamas and Mendes. Bermudez just lost to Lamas. Poirier lost to McGregor. Lentz? Not sure anybody wants to see that one. Swanson just lost to Edgar. The reality is that if McGregor beats Siver then this title fight actually makes complete sense and will also do by an absolute distance the best business out of any title fight in the Featherweight division.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Jon Jones fails drug test for cocaine, but they're not stripping him of the title because it's not a PED. I'd imagine Nick Diaz, who was banned for a year over pot, won't be impressed by that decision!

imagine if it was floyd mayweather.

boxing would be ripped to absolute shreds!

UFC drug policy is a joke!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Aldo has already beaten Edgar, Lamas and Mendes. Bermudez just lost to Lamas. Poirier lost to McGregor. Lentz? Not sure anybody wants to see that one. Swanson just lost to Edgar. The reality is that if McGregor beats Siver then this title fight actually makes complete sense and will also do by an absolute distance the best business out of any title fight in the Featherweight division.

Aldo has beaten them Mcgregor has beaten no one of note Siver as a final showdown for a title fight is a total joke - the list of fighters you quote would all beat Conor... he just cannot wrestle and he has not done anything that deserves a title shot and Dennis Sever would also not beat anyone of the top elite guys

and I will say hear and now if Aldo takes Mcgregor down it wont last the first round just far too many tools in the bag
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge UFC fan and of MMA in general, love the old PRIDE stuff too.
    It's joint at the top of my favourite sports list next to football.

Was lucky enough to go to see BJ Penn VS Nick Diaz in Vegas a few years back and can't wait to go again.

At the moment i'm considering my bet for Sunday night's show.
    Normally I put £15 on about six fights and try to pick at least one underdog in the betting.
    Other than Conor McGregor and Uriah Hall, i'm still yet to finalize my picks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Interesting fight on Sunday, Conor McGregor seems to be the real deal, he looks so fluid with excellent reflexes, his punching style reminds me of Prince Naseem. His antics are a bit cringy but it makes it entertaining i suppose, i can't wait for his Aldo fight now.

I thought the Benson Henderson and Donald Cerrone was going to be a really good fight but it was a bit flat imo.

Uriah Hall looks like an excellent fighter, can't wait to see him in some really big fights this year, he seemed like a nice guy as well when he was in the Ultimate Fighter.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great from connor, standard fighters dont have a chance.

by standard i mean those who of course are talented and work hard in gym and learn lots of disciplines, but maybe lack that natural ability or confidence to just let it flow completley in the cage.

aldo vs mcgregor would be a tough call, ill back the notorious one though.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Great performance but he's got his work seriously cut out against Aldo. For me the only way I see him winning is through a flash style KO, Aldo is a completely different beast to anybody McGregor has ever faced. Personally expect Aldo to win this and it really could be in brutal fashion too, McGregor seriously needs to work on his stand up defence because if he goes in as open as he has in recent fights then he'll be punished for it.

One hell of a fight though. Whatever the result the build up is going to be immense and personally can't see anything but a great fight too, two good styles that will make for something special.

Thought Benson won the fight against Cowboy, think the expression on Cerrones face said it all. Still not overly convinced by Hall, has those moments of brilliance but he's unbelievably inconsistent and they really need to get him in there with better opposition, Gastelum is still the star of that season and the one with a real shot at doing something special in this division, Woodley next for him which is a massive fight.

Spencer robbed by the judges too. Pendred looked awful, 30-27 on two judges scorecards, embarrassing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UFC just signed 40 year old CroCop, presumably to stop Bellator MMA getting him.

Does anyone really care to see him get KO'd again in the Octagon?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/20/7862117/ufc-brings-back-mma-legend-mirko-cro-cop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Great performance but he's got his work seriously cut out against Aldo. For me the only way I see him winning is through a flash style KO, Aldo is a completely different beast to anybody McGregor has ever faced. Personally expect Aldo to win this and it really could be in brutal fashion too, McGregor seriously needs to work on his stand up defence because if he goes in as open as he has in recent fights then he'll be punished for it.

One hell of a fight though. Whatever the result the build up is going to be immense and personally can't see anything but a great fight too, two good styles that will make for something special.

Thought Benson won the fight against Cowboy, think the expression on Cerrones face said it all. Still not overly convinced by Hall, has those moments of brilliance but he's unbelievably inconsistent and they really need to get him in there with better opposition, Gastelum is still the star of that season and the one with a real shot at doing something special in this division, Woodley next for him which is a massive fight.

Spencer robbed by the judges too. Pendred looked awful, 30-27 on two judges scorecards, embarrassing.

pretty much agree with every word of the above
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got round to watching Connor, exciting fighter.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one else watched the Swedish shindig?

A few good fights I thought with Rumble just destroying the great Swedish hope.

Also was it just me, or couldn't BT or whomever it was make up their mind which commentator feed to use, as at one stage we could hear both the European and the American ones!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also was it just me, or couldn't BT or whomever it was make up their mind which commentator feed to use, as at one stage we could hear both the European and the American ones!

the commentating was very poor hearing both Rogan and Dan Hardy was poor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rumble Johnson looked shockingly good, he was like a freight train in the fight.

I saw nothing wrong with the stoppage in the Andy Ogle-Amirkhani fight. When a guy single legs the referee you know he's just been knocked senseless.
    The Hendo-Mousasi stoppage i'm not so sure, I think that could have been allowed to go a bit longer.

I'm excited now because i'll be going to UFC Scotland in July :)
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Just watched both the McGregor vs. Siver and Gustafsson vs. Johnson fights.

I'm still not sure on Conor McGregor, I've only seen him fight a few times and against 'lower' opponents, it will be interesting when he meets Aldo. Tell you what McGregor loves the sound of his own voice.

The Hendo fight was a strange one, personally I think it should have continued.

Johnson is a beast, that will be a good match if he meets Jon Jones.

The audio was really poor as other have said.

Looking forward to Silva vs. Diaz, I know Silva is coming back from his injury and loss but I expect him to win, though I am biased as you know my views on Diaz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think McGregor is extremely talented and Dustin Poirier is no joke as a fighter, in fact he's one of the best, and Conor put him away with no trouble.
    Aldo tho is another thing altogether, it will be a very interesting fight and the hype train leading up to it should guarentee a lot of PPV buys for the UFC.

Just think, Johnson got poked in the eye and won. What will Jon Jones' tactic be now?? ;-)

Silva-Diaz I can't wait either. It's going 5 rounds that's for sure, neither fighter is getting submitted or knocked out. They could fight for 5 hours and that still wouldn't happen.
    I love Diaz but if Silva is anywhere close to his best then he should take the decision.
  • WhoknowWhoknow Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Huge ufc fan, went to LA few years ago up see it, fantastic!!

Now they are on way the hydro in Glagow on 18th July, UFC Fight night 73. Woohoo (I'm from Scotland!)

Can't wait for silva v Diaz nxt week!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoknow wrote: »
    Huge ufc fan, went to LA few years ago up see it, fantastic!!

Now they are on way the hydro in Glagow on 18th July, UFC Fight night 73. Woohoo (I'm from Scotland!)

Can't wait for silva v Diaz nxt week!!

Yeah I went to Vegas for Penn VS Diaz and it was just awesome.

Aiming for Glasgow too. My mate paid £220 for a ticket for the Sweden show and that was a floor seat about six rows from the front, you'd have to pay about $1000 for that in Vegas so hopefully the price of the Scotland tickets will be around the same.