Options

Do you ever get jealous of friends?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
Forum Member
✭✭
Really don't know whats up with me today. Am meeting my friend for a meal tonight but for some reaons not looking forward to it. I work hard in a demanding full-time job and am married and although don't own own property rent a nice little apartment and go on holidays and mnage my finances so that am not always broke yet I feel a bit bitter about my friend she has a detached 4 bedroom,married with two gorgeous young children,has two cars and works part-time. I hate feeling like this it really is not me at all heaven forbid I start falling into this feeling inadequate stage where I feel I have to have everything perfect like they do in the adverts. I don't want to be materialistic but my friend is so maybe that is the issue maybe I don't want to hear about how perfect her life is anymore lol. It's not just my friend though really I get fed up when I hear about anyone who can afford a nice big house,flashcars etc.
Anyway moan over will get back to working hard again!

Comments

• Options
    stinkymousestinkymouse Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.My sister has a big 4 bedroomed detached house,hes an accountant,nice cars,and they have just spent £850 on a priivate number plate for there new car,and have expensive holidays abroad....but im not a bit jealous,in fact the opposite,we love our 1940s 3 bedroomed end terrest house,my wife loves her little R reg clio and i have a crappy excort,but it gets us to devon and blackpool very year so who cares ,we are probably happier than them,im not at all materialistic,we eat well and have a good life.....id rather be an honest working class hero than a rich snoopy materialistic person,most are not as happy...just be gratefull your not blind or handicapped or living in ethiopia....they dont even have houses over there,just tents,and they have to drink muddy water and dont eat:eek:
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    bondgirl1 wrote: »
    Really don't know whats up with me today. Am meeting my friend for a meal tonight but for some reaons not looking forward to it. I work hard in a demanding full-time job and am married and although don't own own property rent a nice little apartment and go on holidays and mnage my finances so that am not always broke yet I feel a bit bitter about my friend she has a detached 4 bedroom,married with two gorgeous young children,has two cars and works part-time. I hate feeling like this it really is not me at all heaven forbid I start falling into this feeling inadequate stage where I feel I have to have everything perfect like they do in the adverts. I don't want to be materialistic but my friend is so maybe that is the issue maybe I don't want to hear about how perfect her life is anymore lol. It's not just my friend though really I get fed up when I hear about anyone who can afford a nice big house,flashcars etc.
    Anyway moan over will get back to working hard again!

I understand bondgirl. But, first of all, money doesn't make you happy. Friends and family, a fulfilling job and enjoying your free time makes you happy. And the people who constantly bang on about their brilliant lives can only be doing it out of some feelings of insecurity. Genuinely happy, contented people are more interested in living these great lives than telling other people about them.

Second of all, you don't say how she is able to afford all this on a part time job. Is her husband very well off? Have her parents donated a lot of cash? Maybe she can't afford it at all and she is completely maxed out from a credit point of view?
    In any of these situations, you have nothing to be envious about. Take pride in the fact that you have got where you are on your own merit. And congratulate yourself on being sensible enough not to get into a large amount of debt.

I sympathise on the house front, big time, I can't afford one either. However, looks like a price crash might be coming our way. Besides I'd far prefer to have a small flat and a good quality of life than crippling myself with a huge mortgage on a macmansion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right of course you are. Just feeling sorry for myself. Probably January blues. Thanks for putting it in perspective a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a solicitor and he has been working in the same job for years so has built up a decent salary. I feel a bit ungrateful now though I have a loving and supportive family and a husband who loves me very much. I still get to go out and go on holidays so it's not that bad lol.
  • Options
    Emerald InnsEmerald Inns Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it Gore Vidal who said "Every time a friend succeeds a little something in me dies".

I think he had a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's perfectly normal to get down about these things every now and again, like you say, January Blues. But spring is on the way :)

It's weird though, you don't know what problems people might have, even though on the surface of it everything looks fine and dandy.

There was a girl I went to school with, I only knew her vaguely as she was in the year below me, but she was incredibly beautiful, talented and always seemed to have lots of friends. I don't remember envying her, exactly, but I thought of her as someone who was very lucky and blessed. Of course, being a teenager, I was utterly convinced that I was the only person in the world who had problems.

I found out years later that she had been dealing with a traumatic and quite scary medical issue at the time. My own problems were pathetic in comparison, yet I thought she was the luckiest girl alive.

Life can be strange
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes cos they get to hang out with me... and I'm great :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah this is normal and quite healthy - as long as the bit of jealousy you feel doesn't over ride your happiness for them or affect them. My sister is jealous of me and my life even though she has a nicer flat and earns more and I feel as though I can never tell her when good things have happened. I end up putting a spin on them as though I'm a bit annoyed or something... dont' let it get to that stage and it's fine)
  • Options
    RaytopsRaytops Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That quote from the the inimitable Mr Vidal is spot on.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I don't tend to feel jealous of friends. I'm generally really chuffed for them when they're doing well and if I'm a bit down hearing that they're doing well cheers me up.
  • Options
    BingedrinkerBingedrinker Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Least you get holidays Bondgirl, I haven't had a holiday for 2 years! (get the violins out). I really couldn't afford one this year either with my mortgage and everything. My friends go on 2 or 3 holidays a year and one's about to go travelling for a year. I couldn't care less though really, had enough holidays to last me a lifetime so it's time to get the finances into order.

I know what you mean about feeling a bit jealous, but I'd call it envious. There are probably aspects of your life that she is envious off so go to dinner, have a good catch up and relax!
  • Options
    Ulysses31Ulysses31 Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besides I'd far prefer to have a small flat and a good quality of life than crippling myself with a huge mortgage on a macmansion.

We have all those things :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ulysses31 wrote: »
    We have all those things :)

Well lucky you :D:D

Maybe you could invite us all round for dinner one day ;)
  • Options
    *Liam**Liam* Posts: 4,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do.We are all about 17-19 and I feel like a old man now as I have to syay in most nights now. I was always jealous of my mates as a kid- aways felt like they were better off in life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Grass isn't always greener on the other side...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, your not wrong for thinking that.

I often find that the people with the most money deserve it or have worked for it the least. I work my arse off eighteen, yes EIGHTEEN hours a day and can barely rub two pennies together, my aunt hasn't worked in twelve years and still manages at least two month-long holidays a year.

Not fair I tell thee, not fair at all. :(
  • Options
    shazznayshazznay Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Its not jealousy as such, its envy. You would'nt be human if you didn't feel that at times. I have friends who have made fortunes on their properties, others who have been left fortunes through inheritence and others who have really good pension deals. I have none of those, and yes at times it does make me feel a bit resentful. My closest friend died 2 years ago, she had all of those things but it meant nothing when she died. I am sure she would have traded everything in just to be on the planet for a few years longer but it wasn't to be.! But, I have a comfortable life. I have food on the table, a car, {ancient} and a decent place to live.
    I often think, "why not me?" but that is just the way it is. if it was any different, you would have other problems to deal with.