Do you still send cards?

2»

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I do still send cards - I think it shows a personal touch and a bit of thought to receive a nice card and a handwritten message inside.

Like.

To (insert first name)

Card printed message.

From/love (insert my name).

That's all they'll be going to get. Frankly, I've always been too lazy to write letters and I certainly don't do messages in a Christmas card, unless it's my (new) contact details.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    How big/heavy are the cards you send? Unless you have a massive family and a colossal circle of friends it's a first class stamp each.

Maybe I should have said a 'small fortune'.

I send about 20 out. That's £12-80 in stamps. To me, that's a lot money for what you get, as around here anyway, the Royal Mail is circling the drain in terms of delivery times. Recently, I had a letter delivered from an address in the centre of town. It took a week to get here. :o They could have delivered it by hand in about 20 minutes.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I send cards but I only have 3 friends so it only costs about £27 in stamps.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I send cards but I only have 3 friends so it only costs about £27 in stamps.

Have stamps gone up to £9 each , then?
  • LuckyPierreLuckyPierre Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »

Nearly.
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I send Christmas cards to Close Family ,the wider Family and Neighbours ,I send Birthday Cards to close family only..
  • MissD1MissD1 Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only send them to my close family, ie parents and siblings, and a couple of close friends.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always send birthday cards to family and friends. For local friends at Christmas I purchase our local Scouts stamps, which are much cheaper. For my near neighbours, I post them through the doors myself.
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still send birthday cards but I have cut out Xmas cards except for close family and people who have moved away so I enclose a family update with the card. I stopped doing Xmas cards when I realised most of the ones I got from people I was in regular contact with I was bearly reading - just a waste of time, money and effort. Instead I post on Facebook mid November to explain that I won't be sending cards but will be making a donation to charity instead.

My kids think cards are pointless as do their friends, so I would imagine over the next 20 years they will become a thing of the past.
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »

Yes they have.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I send about 50 and receive roughly the same.

I like it. Don't care if it's a waste of money, it's a tradition, and I like all the colourful (non-bill!) envelopes landing on the doormat.

Cards also look nice strung up with the other christmas decorations.
    Some people do send them very early though eg my aunt, whose card always arrives on Decemeber 1st or thereabout.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I send Christmas cards to my close family, the extended family stopped a while back. A few to friends and also the neighbours. Birthday cards really only for immediate family.

I hate writing out the cards but always think its nice to receive some and for me it is not a waste of money
  • digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    I still send birthday cards but I have cut out Xmas cards except for close family and people who have moved away so I enclose a family update with the card. I stopped doing Xmas cards when I realised most of the ones I got from people I was in regular contact with I was bearly reading - just a waste of time, money and effort. Instead I post on Facebook mid November to explain that I won't be sending cards but will be making a donation to charity instead.

My kids think cards are pointless as do their friends, so I would imagine over the next 20 years they will become a thing of the past.

I insist my Kids send thank you cards for Birthday presents or any acts of generosity they receive through the year and also thank you cards for any Christmas presents if they didn't actually get to thank the giver in person. I don't let them of with texts either.
  • Snuffkin88Snuffkin88 Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    digit al wrote: »
    I insist my Kids send thank you cards for Birthday presents or any acts of generosity they receive through the year and also thank you cards for any Christmas presents if they didn't actually get to thank the giver in person. I don't let them of with texts either.

I'm glad other people still do this.
    I think it's important to make that extra little bit of effort to say thankyou in a card to show appreciation. I always make sure I send Thankyou cards for any birthday gifts i receive too as well as my children.

Speaking of thankyou cards, I had two friends who never sent out thank you cards for their wedding presents, which I have to say I found incredibly rude, since a group of us had spent a lot of time deliberating over what to get & we never received any kind of thanks. Whilst the other friend actually said "oh I'd save money & wouldn't send thankyou cards out" which I was gobsmacked at!
    Considering how much money people spend to attend some weddings, it just seems the haigh of rudeness to not say thankyou at all.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I send family birthday cards (and some have cheques inside) and about 20 Christmas cards. I also send thank you cards after Christmas ..... not that I get any back.
  • LuckyPierreLuckyPierre Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Yes. I send family birthday cards (and some have cheques inside) and about 20 Christmas cards. I also send thank you cards after Christmas ..... not that I get any back.
    Perhaps not, but you're the better man/female man for doing it.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I send birthday cards regularly, but Christmas cards just to friends, people in the same social groups or in reply to people at work for example.