Options

Get More Potter with Pottermore (Official Thread)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Chihiro94 = RiverThorn154
    nuttytigger = MoonstoneMarauder22
    GARETH197901 = AurorSand49
    badcompany3004 = CharmStorm88
    lordoftime = MarauderHex125
    MangoMoon = DragonDawn25
    eduble = QuestRook102
    Pixxy = PurpleThorn127
    Mikay = FelicisEcho <--- No number was listed in thread
    VioletSummers = SpiritCharm120
    gorsewaygirl = HawthornPhoenix77
    deadlypepperpot = MarauderQuest60
    firefly221 = DustBronze162
    BcUhTrTeEdRCUP = UnicornGold10
    Scottish_Girl = RoseHex145
    Emms = WombatFlame80
    Vicky2424 = DreamQueen71
    Scout35 - MoonMoonstone17
    Stick_Of_Rock = SilverWizard115
    lisa02 = HeartRune88
    Clever Chich = HazelSky4
    Akane Tendo = MidnightFlame131
    Jo-em = SpiritUnicorn178
    Starduat013 = StarDawn93
    UncleKevo = MoonBlade164
    Spanner82 = CentaurSkull64
    aiysha = CrimsonMarauder66
    Stuart567 = ScarletCrimson63
    Psychosis = MidnightChaser41
    AmbzLove = HowlSeer61
    Lord Voldemort = CloakGlow151
    puppetangel = KnightDawn148
    Nick_Dk = SkyDust99
    Katanderson = QuaffleStrike110
    xNATILLYx = ShadowStar94
    *Elle*90 = MistKey67
    digiperson = HeartWolf52
    ROWLING2010 = PumpkinHazel115
    wildbenji64 = CloakWing168
    Letham= MidnightHex143
    Wildphantom! = FeatherLumos10
    Leaby = RainSilver7
    nonjmes = Strikegold78
    eeyore79 – CastleScarlet197
    MartyMac123 = IceLumos87
    grooveykaty = FireboltStorm69
    GondolinGirl = WolfsbaneMarauder78
    PixieJinx52
    RosePixie20
    Plant_Pie = SeerCauldron52
    Candyepic = PhoenixIce101
    VirtuousDream = PatronusPumpkin184
    Mw0390 = CloakNettle131
    PinkPrincess = Wildmagic202
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    As i still haven't recieved my email i decided to update the list that lisa02 had started.

*waiting sucks*
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^
    Fab. :)

Interesting that pottermore are so inundated with enquiries that they've found the time to email me to tell me they're inundated with enquiries. It was probably an automated email but come on, this is poor form. No actual advice except to hint me towards the help pages which lets be honest if were helpful I'd needn't have bothered emailing them anyway

But never mind. I can brew potions now!!!! :D
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean you can't read the instructions if that is the case I have written the instructions below:
    Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,
    Two of us will help you, whichever you would find,
    One among us seven will let you move ahead,
    Another will transport the drinker back instead,
    Two among our number hold only nettle wine,
    Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line.
    Choose, unless you wish to stay here for evermore,
    To help you in your choice, we give you these clues four:
    First, however slyly the poison tries to hide
    You will always find some on nettle wine’s left side;
    Second, different are those who stand at either end,
    But if you would move onwards, neither is your friend;
    Third, as you see clearly, all are different size,
    Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;
    Fourth, the second left and the second on the right
    Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight.

Edit: Actually I just understood you mean you can't get rid of the message on the screen? So the close button isn't working? Strange...

there is literally no close button there for me,and its so frustrating that im so close but yet so far away from the end of the book because of it
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I think I may have to rethink my previous hard lined stance over the usefulness of Firefox in potion making.

After a few days of musing over my apparent uselessness in brewing potions (nothing I tried worked) I came to the conclusion that something must have been missing. I had no way of heating my cauldron.

After watching a video tutorial on Youtube my suspicions were confirmed. In Internet Explorer (I'm yet to test other browsers) the buttons needed for heating suddenly and magically appeared and for the first time (okay it took one or two exploded cauldrons) I managed to successfully brew a potion. Go me! :D

I'll definitely get in touch with Pottermore about this one. I just need a bit more practice in what to do to keep the cauldron from overheating! :)

I still cant stop my cauldron overheating!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Watch the instructions. You have to keep it in-between the 2 bars for a certain number of seconds. Once that's done, usually that's when you wave your wand.
  • Options
    PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is literally no close button there for me,and its so frustrating that im so close but yet so far away from the end of the book because of it

Have you tried clicking the potions without opening the instructions? Or are the instructions stuck on even when you redo the "moment"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As LordofTime said just keep it between the two markers. The Sleeping Draught has a very small margin at the beginning but you just keep turning it on and off over and over for 30 seconds.

I like the potions but I do think that the wait between the first and second half is too long. I mean 1 hour 40 minutes is a long wait. Granted you have an 1 hour 35 minute extra just in case you get busy. But I think 45 minutes longest would have been better.

I am sure there is a reason for it, but still think it is too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I may have to rethink my previous hard lined stance over the usefulness of Firefox in potion making.

After a few days of musing over my apparent uselessness in brewing potions (nothing I tried worked) I came to the conclusion that something must have been missing. I had no way of heating my cauldron.

After watching a video tutorial on Youtube my suspicions were confirmed. In Internet Explorer (I'm yet to test other browsers) the buttons needed for heating suddenly and magically appeared and for the first time (okay it took one or two exploded cauldrons) I managed to successfully brew a potion. Go me! :D

I'll definitely get in touch with Pottermore about this one. I just need a bit more practice in what to do to keep the cauldron from overheating! :)

I would say the heating buttons appear on Firefox for me so I think Pottermore has it in for you :) (also appear on Chrome, IE and Safari) I am testing everything using the different browsers - I am a beta tester after all I need to do a thorough testing.
  • Options
    *Elle*90*Elle*90 Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um...I mixed my numbers up on my username, lol. Stupid. It's actually MistKey178, so....my mistake.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried clicking the potions without opening the instructions? Or are the instructions stuck on even when you redo the "moment"

you can click the parchment,the potions or even the background and it does not a thing,its the same in Chrome and in Internet Explorer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a lot of fun with the common antidote potion :D

I keep putting too much mistletoe berries in and running out of Bezoars which if I carry on like this will see me run out of my galleons.

I don't think Snape has noticed yet though. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say the heating buttons appear on Firefox for me so I think Pottermore has it in for you :) (also appear on Chrome, IE and Safari) I am testing everything using the different browsers - I am a beta tester after all I need to do a thorough testing.

I've never used IE more often than I have in the last 6 hours. ;)

Having tested Pottermore on Opera, Chrome and IE, they all seem to work fine. The heatng buttons, and for spells it actually shows the name of the spell too. And the flash artwork displays seamlessly. Firefox on the other hand (which I consider to be a great browser) seems to be left behind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never used IE more often than I have in the last 6 hours. ;)

Having tested Pottermore on Opera, Chrome and IE, they all seem to work fine. The heatng buttons, and for spells it actually shows the name of the spell too. And the flash artwork displays seamlessly. Firefox on the other hand (which I consider to be a great browser) seems to be left behind.

That is strange, as my firefox doesn't have a problem at all, the spells have their names. When you say the buttons are not there do you mean they are not at the bottom of the cauldron or do you mean you have to scroll down?

I have the latest Firefox version though if that makes a difference?

I have to say it does work well on all the browsers but I have not seen a reason to dismiss a browser yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Firefox 6 which I believe is the latest. I recently updated. I'm on Windows.

There's no buttons at all which means the brew just comes to a natural end after i finish putting the ingredients in. I'm not sure what else could affect it.

Actually... I've just performed a little experiment of my own. I increased the viewport size on Firefox.... Voila! Heating buttons back, spell name visible on spells and it all slots in naturally.

My browser display was a little too small. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Firefox 6 which I believe is the latest. I recently updated. I'm on Windows.

There's no buttons at all which means the brew just comes to a natural end after i finish putting the ingredients in. I'm not sure what else could affect it.

Actually... I've just performed a little experiment of my own. I increased the viewport size on Firefox.... Voila! Heating buttons back, spell name visible on spells and it all slots in naturally.

My browser display was a little too small. :o

So if you scrolled down the page the buttons would have been there?

The buttons on mine are at the bottom of the page but I scroll down (so the menu bar at top isn't visible) as I like the potions at the centre of screen.

Well it is nice to know that Firefox is not failing completely :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you scrolled down the page the buttons would have been there?

The buttons on mine are at the bottom of the page but I scroll down (so the menu bar at top isn't visible) as I like the potions at the centre of screen.

Well it is nice to know that Firefox is not failing completely :)

No they just weren't visible. I think for the text size I was viewing it at the browser just decided it wasn't worth rendering. But this fix keeps up I'll be going back to Firefox. Right now it's my browser of choice. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potions! Aaargh. :eek::eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potions! Aaargh. :eek::eek::D

Having problems with them? :) The only thing that makes me go Aaargh about potions is the time it takes. 100 minutes just seems excessive. But I am sure there is reasoning for it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having problems with them? :) The only thing that makes me go Aaargh about potions is the time it takes. 100 minutes just seems excessive. But I am sure there is reasoning for it :)

I'm hoping the brewing times will go down. :)

The biggest problem I have is brewing my ingredients.
    • 1) I put ingredients in the cauldron that I should be crushing
    • 2) I put ingredients I should be crushing in the cauldron
    • 3) I overheat my cauldron
    • 4) When I manage to brew I spill ingredients putting 2 much in.
    • 5) I stir the cauldron the wrong way. Or too many times
    • 6) I panic because the egg timer goes out too quickly when I;m finishing the potion

:D

I'm brewing the forgettfullness potion for the 4th time today :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping the brewing times will go down. :)

The biggest problem I have is brewing my ingredients.
    • 1) I put ingredients in the cauldron that I should be crushing
    • 2) I put ingredients I should be crushing in the cauldron
    • 3) I overheat my cauldron
    • 4) When I manage to brew I spill ingredients putting 2 much in.
    • 5) I stir the cauldron the wrong way. Or too many times
    • 6) I panic because the egg timer goes out too quickly when I;m finishing the potion

:D

I'm brewing the forgettfullness potion for the 4th time today :p

I wrote down all the instructions for the potions, so I have them sat in front of me when doing to potion. This would probably solve most of your problems I think?

With the bottles just hold the very tip of the bottle so the movement is less unstable, and place on the edge of the cauldron/mortar so it is resting on it so it makes the pouring easier to control.

I really shouldn't be helping I am Slytherin after all :) .... but I am a Slytherin with a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just try to do it slowly so the movements are more natural. I think it's supposed to mimic how you would actually add seasoning to a pan. I have very flabby hands with my Dyspraxia anyway so I'm probably about as good at potions as Neville Longbottom. :D
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    Getting a lot better with the potions. Also been experimenting as I've found some browsers to be a lot better than others.

Also been practising spells which are a lot easier!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a lot better with the potions. Also been experimenting as I've found some browsers to be a lot better than others.

Also been practising spells which are a lot easier!

With the spells I think there needs to be a back button. Instead of going to the duel page, because when I want to practice I will be wanting to do it more than once so an option to restart would be handy.

It would be nice to have the duels back up and running as how are we meant to test it before its official opening if it isn't there.

I would also suggest that more "new information" need to be added to the philosopher's stone story, as well as more things to do in some of the moments (as some moments have nothing for you to do and although I love the imagery there does need to be something else to be "interactive")

I would say more tasks need to be added too as once the story is complete dueling and potions will start to become repetitive and pottermore will lose its shine slightly. Wizard Chess, Gobstones, Exploding Snap, Quidditch practice, tasks from different lessons such as charms. Just tasks to keep pottermore fresh.

I am sure there is something else that I am missing, if I remember it I will add it possibly :)

None of these are complaints just suggestions that after I have been testing feel would add some more to the site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in detention with Snape.

I cannot do these potions right. :D This last one was a much better brew actually. I think I accidently slipped a pinch of Mistletoe Berries in the cauldron so it wasn't exactly right. Bummer. :p

If I could just get passed the 7th Chapter... :( I'm sure they'll be more things to do than spell and potions practice. None of us even have the honour of duelling each other for House Points.

Anyway the thing I'm looking forward to most is doing a Patronus charm. :) Most of us have our wands and house sorting. I wonder if we'll have our own Corporeal Patronuses. :)