Wreck It Ralph Edited For UK Release

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
Nick Grimshaw replaces Tim Mertens in the UK release, but why?

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe because many Brits have no idea who Tim Mertens is so its changed for someone more accessible to the UK audience.

They did the same with some Shrek voices didn't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I have no idea who either is. Either way the film was still poor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Maybe because many Brits have no idea who Tim Mertens is so its changed for someone more accessible to the UK audience.

I know the agent Harv in cars was revoiced for the UK release by Jeremy Clarkson, the US release it was Jeremy Piven, so it's not the first time.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Yeah, in Shrek 2 I think, they changed one of the Ugly Sisters' voices from Larry King to Jonathan Ross and Kate Thornton (X Factor host at that point) was a reporter :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Andi Peters did the voice of a baggage handler in Toy Story 2 or 3. UK only.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to do a lot of British dubbing for UK airings now when they never bothered before. Max and Ruby is a good example and the puppets in Lazy Town, they only done that in the main Lazy Town show which is why they sound different in Lazy Town extra.

I think British people got sick of American dialect everywhere and teaching kids bad habits.

Why is the film poor anyway?
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evilclive wrote: »
    Andi Peters did the voice of a baggage handler in Toy Story 2 or 3. UK only.

I saw a programme about that, he went to the place that made it in the USA and had to go back to the UK to record his line because he did not have a green card to work in the USA.

I don't know why they would go to all that trouble only to use ANOTHER voice for other non-UK English releases.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I have no idea who either is. Either way the film was still poor

Nick Grimshaw does the breakfast show on Radio 1.

He has a very weird voice making him stand out from the rest of the film.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't know why they bother for voice cameos. It does seem pointless.
  • One UnitedOne United Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've never understood why they do this. I would prefer it if they just left the regular voice in as I usually recognise most of them anyway.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    I guess the idea is Nick Grimshaw and fellow Radio One celebs talk about his cameo quite a bit whilst on air, getting lots of on air promotion for the movie which it wouldn't otherwise have got.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Yeah, in Shrek 2 I think, they changed one of the Ugly Sisters' voices from Larry King to Jonathan Ross and Kate Thornton (X Factor host at that point) was a reporter :)

A subtle change was made in Shrek 2, where a headbutt was replaced with a karate chop (to obtain a PG rather than a 12), so presumably the voice edits were made then...
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Shrek 2 was a U, not a PG in the UK :)
    Andi Peters certainly went to a lot of trouble to record one line as "Baggage Handler No.1" in Toy Story 2, was getting a new voice for one line really necessary? :o
    Forum Member
    Shrek 2 was a U, not a PG in the UK :)

I wasn't sure whether it got a U or PG, but they did remove a headbutt to make sure they wouldn't get a 12...
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem with that one though was that the character was based on and voiced by Joan Rivers doing her Fashion Police bit. The new voice then was completely mismatched to the character.

I don't really mind them over dubbing for local audiences as for the most part its a non specific character, but the Rivers/Thornton one was really annoying.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrek features a headbutt anyway so why wasn't it allowed in Shrek 2?

As far as I can remember, Andi Peters was doing a documentary for Channel 4/T4 on Toy Story 2 and they surprised him whilst recording to say that they would like to offer him a line in the movie, so perhaps that's why they went to a lot of effort even though the recording had to be done in the UK and sent to the US.
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Shrek features a headbutt anyway so why wasn't it allowed in Shrek 2?

I've never seen a headbutt in Shrek, so chances are either there isn't one or it's in the background somewhere so the BBFC decided it wasn't worth worrying about.

The reason headbutts shown without consequence gain a 12 is because it's deemed to be an accessible form of violence, that is fairly easy for children to enact, so unless it's shown with consequence to the perpetrator it gets a 12.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they also do that for Cars. Were they used the voices of Jeremy Clarkson in the UK version.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donkey headbutts one of the guards in the first Shrek, watch from 0:35 onwards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSFt2SyVXF4

I'm also pretty sure Shrek does it later in the film as well when he's wearing a helmet from a suit of armour and fighting off guards too. It might be Fiona I'm thinking of, but I've definitely seen more than 1 headbutt in the Shrek films.
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »

Isn't he a belgian Cyclist?

Rather him than the other guy...
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he a belgian Cyclist?
    Rather him than the other guy...
    There is a Belgian cyclist with the same name, but in this is the one that did the voice over:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0581580/

It's a small role, being portrayed by someone who isn't that well known. Recasting with someone who is known and in the public eye right now is a good tactic for publicising the movie.
    Forum Member
    They seem to do a lot of British dubbing for UK airings now when they never bothered before. Max and Ruby is a good example and the puppets in Lazy Town, they only done that in the main Lazy Town show which is why they sound different in Lazy Town extra.

I think British people got sick of American dialect everywhere and teaching kids bad habits.

Why is the film poor anyway?

I just found the story plodding and uninteresting. The story was predictable, there was no surprises and the humour was unfunny. The main female lead wasn't likable and the main male lead was hard to like and so it was hard to engage with it. If you compare this to someone like Toy Story where you liked Woody, Buzz and the other character.
    I saw the film on Friday and I can't even remember the name of the characters. That shows it failed to imprint on me.

This film reminds me a lot of Space Chimps. The premise is good, you see the film and you are left a bit "meh" and indifferent.

IMO better use could have been used of known and real games characters to at least make people think I used to play that game. Using unknown characters created for the movie again leaves you not having a recognition moment.
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Nick Grimshaw does the breakfast show on Radio 1.

He has a very weird voice making him stand out from the rest of the film.

Thanks for telling me who he is. I've not listened to Radio 1 in almost 30 years. I think Mike Read may have been doing the breakfast show then, but I could be wrong as I didn't listen to it.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Thanks for telling me who he is. I've not listened to Radio 1 in almost 30 years. I think Mike Read may have been doing the breakfast show then, but I could be wrong as I didn't listen to it.

Not much people do listen to Radio 1 it's target audience is over 30s.

BBC do not have a station for 16 - 24 year olds.
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Not much people do listen to Radio 1 it's target audience is over 30s.

BBC do not have a station for 16 - 24 year olds.

It is? I still wouldn't listen and i'm a few years off 50 now. I gave up listening to the radio the same time I gave up listening too and following the chart when I was 16.

I've not bought a chart single since Tom Hark by The Piranhas, back in 1980. and an album in almost 10 years.