blackish e4 pace

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just in case anyone was wondering, season one ends next thursday and they go straight in to season two starting on friday
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good news. It's starting to find its feet, the additon of Dre's mother is a good one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catching up on a few recent eps. The one with his sister (played by Raven-Simone) was surprisingly good.

And (I'm not starting a new thread for it) anyone catch that other sitcom E4's been advertising? 'Young & Hungry'

My word its dreadful. It plays out like one of those awful tween sitcoms that The Disney Channel has been reduced to show. I know its a Freeform show (and not primetime ABC) but honestly I expected better from the Mouse's TV arm.

rant over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up on a few recent eps. The one with his sister (played by Raven-Simone) was surprisingly good.

And (I'm not starting a new thread for it) anyone catch that other sitcom E4's been advertising? 'Young & Hungry'

My word its dreadful. It plays out like one of those awful tween sitcoms that The Disney Channel has been reduced to show. I know its a Freeform show (and not primetime ABC) but honestly I expected better from the Mouse's TV arm.

rant over.

Funnily enough, i'm just about to watch the one with Raven-Simone.

I've seen the trailers for Young and Hungry and I think the fact it's scheduled for early afternoon put me off, although I see it's been renewed for a fifth season in the US.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young and Hungry is pretty lame. The first season is actually rather good but it becomes clear what the show is really about by the end of the first season and throughout the seasons that follow. And that is the will they/won't they between her and her boss. It's become terribly tiresome and i never finished the second season. I feel television sitcoms have come too far in this day and age to have a show become reliant on something like that.

I disagree that it plays out like a tween sitcom from Disney, as the show is filled with many subtle sex jokes and doesn't shy away from delving into sexuality every now and then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, i'm just about to watch the one with Raven-Simone.
    I hoped it lived up to the small amount of hype I gave it. :D
    I've seen the trailers for Young and Hungry and I think the fact it's scheduled for early afternoon put me off, although I see it's been renewed for a fifth season in the US.
    How they managed that I do not know.
    Young and Hungry is pretty lame. The first season is actually rather good but it becomes clear what the show is really about by the end of the first season and throughout the seasons that follow. And that is the will they/won't they between her and her boss. It's become terribly tiresome and i never finished the second season. I feel television sitcoms have come too far in this day and age to have a show become reliant on something like that.
    Sounds like they're basically going down the same path as Melissa & Joey. (Which was far superior).
    I disagree that it plays out like a tween sitcom from Disney, as the show is filled with many subtle sex jokes and doesn't shy away from delving into sexuality every now and then.
    Sure, it does have that - I won't argue there. However it still comes across as very "safe" which is why I compared it to a tween sitcom. Such things as their use of "Oh my damn" rather than the usual phrase.

Plus the canned laughter .... ugggh... there was one part where Josh said to the fiancee "what are you doing here?" - cue fits of hysterics from the can. It wasn't even a punchline, he was just asking a question.

Shame though, as Emily Osment is qutie good. So too is Jonathan Sadowski - who was in the brilliant 'Stuff My Dad Says'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see what you mean Ludwig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Thanks. :) And I may criticise it, but I appricate that not everyone likes the same. I gave it another go - I did try and watch the episode with the Bingo Caller. Very cringy.

Anyway, back to the other show! That epsiode "Pops Pops Pops" was really good. Certainly something away from the run of the mill that most sitcoms are in these days.

And I loved all the detail they put into it, with the sets and costumes. The only real think I'd pick out was the use of modern music over the jazz that it was supposed to be.
    Regardless, 4/5 for that episode alone.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The final episode of season 1 was brilliant. The 1920's flashback was so clever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The final episode of season 1 was brilliant. The 1920's flashback was so clever.

Yeah, I did like that. And to rope in the guest stars that they did was pretty impressive as well.

I'm almost completely caught up with E4 pace at the moment.

I didn't twig on that Deon Cole, who plays Charlie, is also in Angie Tribeca.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I did like that. And to rope in the guest stars that they did was pretty impressive as well.

I'm almost completely caught up with E4 pace at the moment.

I didn't twig on that Deon Cole, who plays Charlie, is also in Angie Tribeca.

Really? I recognised him straight away. He is very funny. I'm just starting S2 now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I recognised him straight away. He is very funny. I'm just starting S2 now.

It's probably because it's been quite a while since I actually watched Angie Tribeca though so i'd forgotten about him.

It'll be quite sad when E4 catch up with US pace in Season 3 though. I'm really enjoying getting new episodes every day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 2 is really where I felt the show became more comfortable in its self and consistent.

I also felt Tracee Ellis Ross was finally given decent material to act from at last

Look out for some great guest spots from Tyra Banks and Wanda Sykes. Raven Symone also returns late in the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 2 is really where I felt the show became more comfortable in its self and consistent.

I also felt Tracee Ellis Ross was finally given decent material to act from at last

Look out for some great guest spots from Tyra Banks and Wanda Sykes. Raven Symone also returns late in the season.

I've just got to the Wanda Sykes episodes actually. I gather she's only "recurring" at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of her in that role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got to the Wanda Sykes episodes actually. I gather she's only "recurring" at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of her in that role.

So far, she has returned for one episode in season 3. She's one of the characters who is best seen every now and then. I don't think she would work as a regular, as it would feel too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Does Wanda Sykes play her sister?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Wanda Sykes play her sister?

No. I don't want to say who she plays as it is a bit of spoiler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. I don't want to say who she plays as it is a bit of spoiler.

ok. I thought she could play her sister as their hairstyles match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got to the Daphne episodes. Wanda is a great additon to the cast.

And, until I saw her on the Ellen show, I had no idea that Tracee Ellis Ross (Rainbow) was Diana Ross' daughter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look at week beginning the 12th of december and blackish isn't on the E4 schedule so i'd assume it'll be off for christmas now, and it'll stop on episode 16.

I imagine they'll continue with season 2 each night when they come back but then it'll go to weekly when they hopefully start season 3.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch this on and off as I'm finding the comedy a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it's alright and sometimes it's overdone that it can appear to be desperate.
    Someone posted that they found the lead character annoying, I'm guessing they were referring to Dre and yeah I can see why they felt that way. The older son is just too weird which was occasionally replicated by his mum in being kooky although in the latter episodes less so and more sane.

The twins seem sweet and are playing their roles like Franklin Mumford from My Wife 'n' Kids and but he did it better and funnier IMO.
    All that said I so agree with this. This was done very well - and the family appeared sane at the time too! :D

Glad to hear that.
    Just got to the Daphne episodes. Wanda is a great additon to the cast.

And, until I saw her on the Ellen show, I had no idea that Tracee Ellis Ross (Rainbow) was Diana Ross' daughter.
    Me neither!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched "Hope" and wow. a staggeringly good episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually wasn't keen on Hope. There was something about it that just didn't sit right with me. And all these months later since i saw it, i still can't put into words why. But it won a lot of acclaim and it was the episode submitted that led to the show picking up a nomination for best comedy at the emmys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually wasn't keen on Hope. There was something about it that just didn't sit right with me. And all these months later since i saw it, i still can't put into words why. But it won a lot of acclaim and it was the episode submitted that led to the show picking up a nomination for best comedy at the emmys.

For me, I thought the balance between the sitcom side and "the message" was pretty much spot on - but - I can certainly see how it may have come across as a bit preachy i suppose.

Either way, i loved it. I think the only other sitcom that had managed to get to me to that level before is "Scrubs"
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not on my planner now..is it having a mid season break?