Options

Should there be an NHS type service for car repairs?

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
I think so. With cuts being made to public transport all the time, people who work ad hoc shifts are finding it increasingly hard to get to work. There are lots of people on minimum / low wages whos jobs are actually essential to the functioning of society (retail, care, cleaners, binmen etc). If they couldn't get to work for a week, society would crumble.

There are lots of them already on the roads driving cars in unroadworthy condition because of the repair bills. You can get cheaper cars which are cheap to tax and insure and are economical on fuel. However, 3 months later end up being stung by a £500+ repair bill. Garages aren't exactly known for their fair, honest pricing and communication.

Not only are they essential for getting to work. Isolated businesses (you know, honest hardworking people who can't afford a city centre or shopping mall location) like countryside inns rely on people with cars to stay afloat.

So, to help low wage people get to work, help isolated businesses, help save the life of patients at the mercy of a nurse with a broken down car, or an elderly lady at the mercy of a low paid carer in winter who needs her car, would you be happy paying around £8 a month and not having to worry about car repairs again?

At least its just mechanics and their bosses, not NHS managers etc.

http://i.imgur.com/undefined.jpg < it might help people like her get a car or money off a car too.

Comments

• Options
    stone tapestone tape Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    No, public transport is there to transport the people. We want less cars on the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stone tape wrote: »
    No, public transport is there to transport the people. We want less cars on the road.

It needs to be free though. Its been trialled in a city I forget the name of, but, it works well. Also need buses going everywhere at least once an hour. No little forgotten towns cut off.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so. With cuts being made to public transport all the time, people who work ad hoc shifts are finding it increasingly hard to get to work. There are lots of people on minimum / low wages whos jobs are actually essential to the functioning of society (retail, care, cleaners, binmen etc). If they couldn't get to work for a week, society would crumble.

There are lots of them already on the roads driving cars in unroadworthy condition because of the repair bills. You can get cheaper cars which are cheap to tax and insure and are economical on fuel. However, 3 months later end up being stung by a £500+ repair bill. Garages aren't exactly known for their fair, honest pricing and communication.

Not only are they essential for getting to work. Isolated businesses (you know, honest hardworking people who can't afford a city centre or shopping mall location) like countryside inns rely on people with cars to stay afloat.

So, to help low wage people get to work, help isolated businesses, help save the life of patients at the mercy of a nurse with a broken down car, or an elderly lady at the mercy of a low paid carer in winter who needs her car, would you be happy paying around £8 a month and not having to worry about car repairs again?

http://i.imgur.com/undefined.jpg < it might help people like her get a car or money off a car too.

Primary care for my motor should be free. I pay my road tax!!
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was "an NHS-type service" then:
    a) you'd have to register with one particular garage
    b) money would be taken out of your wage-packet without a by-your-leave
    c) booking an appointment would be from 9 to 9.30, on a Monday, and the line would be permanently engaged
    d) if you ever got through you wouldn't be talking to an actual expert on cars
    e) if they ever got round to looking at your car it would be to fix ONE, and only one problem
    f) given all the above they'd act like they were doing you a huge favour, rather than giving you what you've already paid them for, several times over

Etc.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because anything that is free at the point of use if abused to the hilt.

If you can afford to run a car in the UK in 2016, you should be able afford a warranty for it too.
  • Options
    That usernameThat username Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    No, isn't it up to the bosses to make sure they hire people who can get to work?
    stone tape wrote: »

How do the public transport employees to get to work.

I used to work for an agency and work most days in different places, used to be able to claim tax return for petrol and car repair, but then the government decided my place of employment is the agency not where i am working.

Yet MPs continue to get expenses >:( (:confused: >:(
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    c) booking an appointment would be from 9 to 9.30, on a Monday, and the line would be permanently engaged
    e) if they ever got round to looking at your car it would be to fix ONE, and only one problem
    f) given all the above they'd act like they were doing you a huge favour, rather than giving you what you've already paid them for, several times over

Etc.

Plus, given how people and the media react to providing health services for smokers/obese people, there would be outrage if someone chose to drive a very expensive car that cost a lot to repair, and people who drove recklessly, etc etc.
  • Options
    stone tapestone tape Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    No, isn't it up to the bosses to make sure they hire people who can get to work?

How do the public transport employees to get to work.

I used to work for an agency and work most days in different places, used to be able to claim tax return for petrol and car repair, but then the government decided my place of employment is the agency not where i am working.

Yet MPs continue to get expenses >:( (:confused: >:(

Im not talking about banning cars from the road, but we want less of them on the road.

Individual companies may offer support for those that need to get to work.

I don't think MP's should get any expenses.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Plus, given how people and the media react to providing health services for smokers/obese people, there would be outrage if someone chose to drive a very expensive car that cost a lot to repair, and people who drove recklessly, etc etc.

Or similarly people who chose to save money and buy and old banger knowing the tax payer would subsidise keeping it on the road.
  • Options
    GusGusGusGus Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Etc.

And your appointment would be for weeks or months ahead, and when you got there you would spend most of the day waiting to be seen
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Never.

NHS-type would mean everyone paying for it amd as I've never owned a car in my life, hell will freeze over before I'd pay towards the upkeep of cars belonging to people who think they're above using public transport.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member

You have to be joking!!!!:o I work for the NHS and as a district nurse am a essential car user. I have my own car. I get paid 56p per mile when using my car for work and that's it.......as NHS workers have to pay for their own car maintenance and repair, your suggestion is simply pie in the sky.
    :(
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    Never.

NHS-type would mean everyone paying for it amd as I've never owned a car in my life, hell will freeze over before I'd pay towards the upkeep of cars belonging to people who think they're above using public transport.
    You already pay for it. It's called company cars.
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I feel there should be a massive clampdown and spot checks of unroadworthy vehicles. Too many people skip servicing and general checks and rely on the MOT. A tyre passing an MOT could be perished, splitting and balding and a week later could be failing on the outer lane of the motorway. If you can't afford or pay for the upkeep...find alternative transport.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctorb wrote: »
    Personally I feel there should be a massive clampdown and spot checks of unroadworthy vehicles. Too many people skip servicing and general checks and rely on the MOT. A tyre passing an MOT could be perished, splitting and balding and a week later could be failing on the outer lane of the motorway. If you can't afford or pay for the upkeep...find alternative transport.

It can be cheaper to lease or PCP a new car in the market today than buy an old banger and you can even put a servicing pack in the deal to make it an easy to afford monthly payment.

Especially for small economical cars. The other benefit of a newer car besides them being safer and giving the driver more peace of mind is they are generally a lot more efficient which could end up in you paying a lot less on fuel.

If you buy the cheapest car you can off ebay with an MOT then you have to budget for repairs, servicing and a lot more fuel.

Total car ownership over the time you intend to keep a car is the key.
  • Options
    GusGusGusGus Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public transport is a joke, I live on a major bus route where buses sail by regularly with just one or two passengers on board
    Heavily subsidised by the LA, ie tax payers, it would be cheaper to provide each of those passengers with a taxi each
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paying £8 a month would mean 96 quid a year which pretty much would be used up after an hour or two's worth of looking at the problem never mind parts and the time to fit them.

What happens when you've got a custom built car and there is no part for it as it was built and designed ground up to be a one off?
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    If I rang the mechanic I'd get a sour old hag on the phone, who'd tell me that there's no way the mechanic could see my car for at least a fortnight - unless it was urgent of course, in which case the mechanic would call me on the telephone at some point during that day, and invariably tell me that I should go to Halfords to buy something or other, and try that, and if the car was no better in ten days I should ring up one of the harridans on his reception desk, and begin the whole process again. Eventually my car would become so badly broken down, that I'd have to call the RAC to tow me to an NHS emergency garage, where it would be left in a parking bay and ignored, until it was eventually written off and taken to the scrap yard.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    The NHS regional spares distribution centres, car garages, and spares pharmacies would sell on batches of the most desperately needed spares for certain rare mechanical failures, for personal profit on the (black) market, having made this legal beforehand, and then offer the car owners 2 substitutes that they knew were useless.

After 3 or 4 years of intermittent supplies and complaints finally too many to be ignored, a couple of the London newspapers would run an article hinting at corruption. Some concerned MPs would back the call for an investigation.

They’d then set up an independent NHS commission chaired by Lord Croesus, Baroness Gullible, and Sir Tarquin Backhander. These eminent worthies would examine all the evidence (gathered from everyone except the car owners affected), and after 18 months deliberation at the taxpayers’ expense, decide the substitutes were every bit as good as the original.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, there are more important things to spend money on. If you can't afford to run a car, get off the road.
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to be free though. Its been trialled in a city I forget the name of, but, it works well. Also need buses going everywhere at least once an hour. No little forgotten towns cut off.

The C Train in downtown Calgary is free within the city limits. Just hop on and hop off. Brilliant service.

http://www.visitcalgary.com/visitor-information/getting-around-calgary/public-transportation
  • Options
    BobtheBoldBobtheBold Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would only work if their was a NHS for the insurance as well,its bonkers that legally you have to pay for private insurance yet all the garages / courts stick their noses in the trough once the insurance company writes off a car - which is then repaired cheap and sold on.
    It would also stop the fraud claims if the local plod investigated each accident fully .
  • Options
    Forum Member

Etc.

Most of this already happens, except you can use any garage and extra faults are sometimes invented. Poor reasons.
    WinterLily wrote: »
    You have to be joking!!!!:o I work for the NHS and as a district nurse am a essential car user. I have my own car. I get paid 56p per mile when using my car for work and that's it.......as NHS workers have to pay for their own car maintenance and repair, your suggestion is simply pie in the sky.
    :(

You warm my heart. You fight to serve your country and you aren't bothered about the costs incurred. You prove there is more to life than money and put some FM's to shame.
    GusGus wrote: »
    Public transport is a joke, I live on a major bus route where buses sail by regularly with just one or two passengers on board
    Heavily subsidised by the LA, ie tax payers, it would be cheaper to provide each of those passengers with a taxi each

Another reason to plough ahead with this! Imagine if road gritters were optional, paid for privately by people who wanted their road clear.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Imagine if road gritters were optional, paid for privately by people who wanted their road clear.

Yeah. Just imagine half of the people on the street being willing to pay and the other half not.

What do you get? 'Lightly salted'? :D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it do not need to be free, but it needs to be at a decent price, in large cities, public transport is not too bad, but around here it is awful. i could get the bus and back to another city for about a fiver more than what I would pay to get to my own city centre and back. Also that other city got better shops.