Data/Battery Usage on Galaxy S3 mini.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
Forum Member
✭✭
I have 1GB data on my plan which I hardly use. I was 20 days into my month and still had 930MB left.

Yesterday I got the text from O2 saying I have nearly used all my data which I believe you recieve when you have used 750MB. 10 Minutes later I was told all my data had gone.

My phone was also warm and the battery was draining very quickly.

I've since found the screen that tells you how much battery has been used by each app since my last full charge but didn't know at the time.

I was under the impression that when you hold the home button down, then press the 'bin' icon, that stops most usage in the background?

Is there anything I can view on my phone that tells me what data is being currently downloaded and by what?

Apart from the odd new game the only thing I used differently yesterday was the FM Radio. But I struggled to get a decent signal so turned it off after 10 mins so I can't see it being that.

I just need to find out now, before my contract months starts again in case my 1GB drains in a day!

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcidVenus wrote: »
    I have 1GB data on my plan which I hardly use. I was 20 days into my month and still had 930MB left.

Yesterday I got the text from O2 saying I have nearly used all my data which I believe you recieve when you have used 750MB. 10 Minutes later I was told all my data had gone.

My phone was also warm and the battery was draining very quickly.

I've since found the screen that tells you how much battery has been used by each app since my last full charge but didn't know at the time.

I was under the impression that when you hold the home button down, then press the 'bin' icon, that stops most usage in the background?

Is there anything I can view on my phone that tells me what data is being currently downloaded and by what?

Apart from the odd new game the only thing I used differently yesterday was the FM Radio. But I struggled to get a decent signal so turned it off after 10 mins so I can't see it being that.

I just need to find out now, before my contract months starts again in case my 1GB drains in a day!

You can see what app used the data by going into settings and then data.

Settings >Data usage

Find the app, then you can decide what to do, uninstall, change settings etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that. Feel a little stupid not finding that before.
    Turns out it was Napster using over 800MB.

I tried downloading a playlist connected to WiFi but the app sometimes doesn't work and I have to reinstall it. I didn't have time for that so I closed the app down using the method described in my first post and assumed that was the end of it.

Thing is there are no songs downloaded so god knows what the usage was.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcidVenus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Feel a little stupid not finding that before.
    Turns out it was Napster using over 800MB.

I tried downloading a playlist connected to WiFi but the app sometimes doesn't work and I have to reinstall it. I didn't have time for that so I closed the app down using the method described in my first post and assumed that was the end of it.

Thing is there are no songs downloaded so god knows what the usage was.

Closing the app that way closes the app, but some applications have the permission of using 'background data', news widgets, email applications etc can all then keep up to date in the background. Maybe it uses that, lucky O2 don't charge for data once you go over or you could have had a big bill!

You can control which apps are allowed to use background data in that same settings section, you can also have the phone warn you when you hit a certain limit and stop using more data at a certain point too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I am lucky! I think every app I install I'll turn background data off because it doesn't include WiFi. I'm connected often enough to wifi for my apps to update.