5*/HDR weirdness

2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I noticed Dirty Dancing was on 5* last week. It was about half an hour into it when I saw it, so I set it to record on 5*+1 by pressing record on the EPG.

It was a split recording (some entertainment news thing in the middle), and it picked up the second half OK.

But here's the really weird thing: the same film was on several times last week, and despite not asking for a series recording (pressing record doesn't give you that option on the HDR - you have to press OK instead - and why would you series record a film anyway?!), the HDR decided to record every single showing of Dirty Dancing that week!!!!

So I now have four copies of Dirty Dancing. Well, obviously I don't, because I deleted two, and the last one failed because the HDD was full - but still, it amazes me how such a simple thing can go wrong.

Do you regular channel five viewers suffer this kind of weirdness often?

Cheers,
David.

P.S. the picture quality isn't great, is it?

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 haven't a clue how to use crids :eek:.

Take the lunchtime soaps (Neighbours and Home & Away), they share a common series crid with the advance showings on 5* in the early evening. As a result if you set up a series reservation on these you get the two recorded the first day at lunchtime when you want them and the same day it picks up the early evening showings of the next episode on 5* (when you might have other stuff set to record) and stays there. Only way is to use a manual weekday repeating reservation.

They did the same with the first episode of Dallas, the weekend edited repeat also recorded.

Obviously the split recording picked up the other showings as a continuation of the split because of incompetence.

And yes picture quality on satellite is dire, two many channels on one transponder, Freeview is better.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Graham - I thought you'd mention Neighbours ;).

I doubt Freeview is the better option for me - 5* is on a COM mux which we don't get. ;) But it's interesting to hear that at least some channels look better on Freeview (for those who can receive them) - five seems more interested in spending money on programming than picture quality, which I guess is a justifiable choice, but I can't help feeling that a noticeably better picture could be delivered for a comparatively small cost. When it gets to the point that I think "I'll just get this on DVD for a couple of quid rather than watch this blocky mess", they've gone too far for me, but I'm not normal ;)

They don't seem to want to spend the money to sort out CRIDs, but as a commercial broadcaster, I'm not surprised they have a somewhat difficult relationship with a technology that primarily makes PVRs work well.

Cheers,
    David.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    Thanks Graham - I thought you'd mention Neighbours ;)..

It's for SHMBO :D,

The extra cost to be fair is not insignificant, they need another transponder. Hey but any channel that insists on sticking a dog in a 4:3 frame on a 16:9 picture clearly has no interest in us more sophisticated viewers :D. :D

Once told by Channel 5 I was visually illiterate when complaining about their dog, large, zero transparency and in a position that in some shots appears dead centre in a actors forehead. :eek:

What's visually illiterate :confused:

They don't even understand English :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's visually illiterate :confused:

:(

They think that can only read Braille, perhaps, & therefore are confused when you are claiming to see dogs !

Remember "Life is a bitch & then you die" &
    " jollity is but a distraction not a cure" :eek:

If you want the full philosophical discussion, see

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=150 "pls delete this thread"

David