Ripper Street

Comments

• clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumilad wrote: »
    Well yes and no.

This deal was obviously on the cards way before the show was 'axed'. They needed to mirror what has happened in US (on demand service revives axed show). Why risk that with an axed show when you can strike a deal with a station to axe a show and create a lot of publicity around it.

That's not to say the beeb wouldn't have axed as the costs of the show might have been too much but you don't create a PR campaign around the axing of the show like the Beeb did round Ripper Street having not already been in talk over the viability of a deal like this.

The decision was made before the axing, the public reaction to the campaign would have been what sealed the deal.

I'm sure you speak the truth but I will continue to tell myself it's all down to the bad tempered tweets I sent to the BBC! :D
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Why this deal annoys me is because in television the difficult task is in finding a programme that the public can bear to watch.

The actual production of it is child's play by comparison.

Just think how many programmes fail. It's risky and expensive to develop a programme, take it to production, and then air it and see if the public will like it enough.

So the BBC has done all the hard risky stuff and Amazon swan in and do the easy thing, production.

Don't tell me that Amazon "came to the rescue", this is an experiment by the BBC.

You might as well say you're annoyed with capitalism, then.
    I don't think anyone would be naive enough to think that Amazon "came to the rescue" for us poor little souls who love Ripper - obviously they're in it for the money. That's what commercial businesses do, and something that Amazon is particularly good at.

I'm not buying this "experiment by the BBC" either, they messed up, pure and simple. Pitching Ripper against I'm A Celebrity, whoever made that decision deserves a good bollocking.

Highly intelligent crime drama that requires your full attention in one corner, brain-dead ITV dross with half-naked people that you can watch while doing the dishes in the other corner. Have a wild guess which one will win.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might as well say you're annoyed with capitalism, then.

Capitalism would be Amazon taking risks with their shareholders money..

My objection is to anti-capitalism. I'm always amazed when people think tax money gifted to private firms is the "free market"

Capitalism does not involve the tax payer subsidising the huge (and risky) cost of finding successful TV programmes. That process is 90% of the business right there.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Capitalism would be Amazon taking risks with their shareholders money..

My objection is to anti-capitalism. I'm always amazed when people think tax money gifted to private firms is the "free market"

Capitalism does not involve the tax payer subsidising the huge (and risky) cost of finding successful TV programmes. That process is 90% of the business right there.

But that's what they do, because they can get away with it. Just like any other commercial business would, given the chance. Not sure where your argument is going really. If you want Amazon to pay tax/the Beeb not to mess their stuff up so majestically, it might be better to address the issue with them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm delighted with the news that this excellent programme will be returning. :)

I think a lot of people are really pleased. My aunt was also thrilled when I told her.

It's refreshing to see a decent drama get saved instead of a piece of trash like Big Brother, for a change.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I think they've pretty much exhausted the plots so I reckon that they're flogging the horse a bit to do a new series. They surely can't use the same old characters yet again can they ?

Be better to think up a new drama series.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I think they've pretty much exhausted the plots so I reckon that they're flogging the horse a bit to do a new series. They surely can't use the same old characters yet again can they ?

Be better to think up a new drama series.

Of course they can still use the same characters. There are loads of other topics from that period that they could feature.
    Forum Member
    Of course they can still use the same characters. There are loads of other topics from that period that they could feature.

Well maybe - if they can refrain from using the brothel in the plot and boxing matches. :)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Crimean war veterans would be topical.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Jerome Flynn has been nominated for a TV BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor. Well deserved in my opinion, his performance in the last series was jaw dropping.

What a career rebirth he's had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Will Matthew Macfadyen continue if there is a series 4? Most of the rabid fans of this show are his, including the ones who spearheaded the "petition" so I'm inclined to think not? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMdreamer wrote: »
    Will Matthew Macfadyen continue if there is a series 4? Most of the rabid fans of this show are his, including the ones who spearheaded the "petition" so I'm inclined to think not? :confused:
    We haven't seen a series 3 yet.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The third series will premiere with a double-bill on Amazon Prime Instant Video on Friday, November 14 at 9pm.

A new episode will be released on the service at 9pm every Friday until its finale on Boxing Day.

The series will then air on BBC One and BBC America in 2015.

Amazon members will also be able to view exclusive extended episodes of the series, including scenes that will not be shown on television.
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely flipping marvellous. The drooling begins :D
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to take the free 30 days of Amazon Instant Video for Ripper Street but not if Damien Molony isn't in it! I already have Netflix! I will wait until it comes on BBC1.
    Forum Member
    That sounds like 8 episodes in all. I may watch as I have prime, which isn't as good as it used to be since they started using 'Amazon Logistics' for next day deliveries instead of DPD or post office.

Which one is Damien Molony ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He played Albert Flight, the Irish copper whose story was left rather in the air last time. However, Damien is doing so much that I doubt he had time to film it. He is on the stage a lot and has made a film recently.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic - I was wondering when this was back!

Is Damien not in it this series then? I hope he is - I thought his character was intriguing and was looking forward to finding out more about him!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news, interesting that they are releasing one episode a week, unlike Netflix who release all of the episodes of their original productions on th same day.

I'll be waiting for the BBC broadcast, but i'll be buying the DVD when its released so Amazon will still get some money from me via that.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first two episodes of the new series of Ripper Street is now available on Amazon Prime:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P4NT0XQ/ref=dv_dp_ep1

New episodes will appear every Friday from now until 26th December. The series will then air on BBC One next year.

The episodes on Amazon Prime as ‘Amazon Cuts’ and include an additional 10 minutes that won’t air on the BBC (but presumably will be on the DVDs). It looks like this is being used for more adult content as the second episode has been rated ‘18’, the first time for the programme.

I’m not sure how we’re going to handle discussing the series as there will now be people on ‘Amazon pace’ and people on ‘BBC pace’.

I’m glad it’s back.
    :)
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flipping amazing! I think it's even better than series 2 and that's saying something!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Fantastic - I was wondering when this was back!

Is Damien not in it this series then? I hope he is - I thought his character was intriguing and was looking forward to finding out more about him
    !

Apparently he isn't in series 3 which is such a shame. He is, however, in series 3 of Suspects which is great. He is also in a play in the New Year (The Hard Question) which is a new Tom Stoppard play.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was brilliant! Better even than the first two series - breathless stuff.

For anyone not watching on Amazon - you've got a treat in store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on Prime. Brilliant programme. Still would have liked Albert Flight to be in it. :(
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    That was brilliant! Better even than the first two series - breathless stuff.

For anyone not watching on Amazon - you've got a treat in store.

I'm looking forward to it. Presumably it's early in the new year on the BBC? I think I'm going to have to unsubscribe from this thread so I don't see any spoilers :D