Options

Google Nexus 7 with automatically installed Android 4.2 crapping up iPlayer

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ney, does that mean that the BBC have updated the iPlayer app so that it now works on the Nexus 7?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Officially the problem lies in the fact that tablets that are new like the Google nexus 7 32gb won't play certain media files because apparently adorb flash isn't supported on updated mobile or tabs. However there are ways around it.

It isn't a browser issue, it also lies on the fact that the vast majority of websites uses flash, I've managed to download BBC and ITV player a apk files. Also need to go to settings and click unauthorised apps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    Make sure firefox is requesting the desktop site, I had a problem getting the flash plug in to start on a site and doing this seemed to fix it!
    It's possible the videos aren't even flash as I thought flash was incompatible with chrome.

Nope, tried that and no luck! Completely bemused how I got it working before!
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crowncd wrote: »
    Ney, does that mean that the BBC have updated the iPlayer app so that it now works on the Nexus 7?

Yes,

Darren
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowncd wrote: »
    ney wrote: »
    Yes,

Darren

No, iPlayer has not been updated yet.

If it was installed on 4.1 and then Android is upgraded to 4.2 it does not stop working, but it cannot be installed from the Play Store on 4.2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    No, iPlayer has not been updated yet.

If it was installed on 4.1 and then Android is upgraded to 4.2 it does not stop working, but it cannot be installed from the Play Store on 4.2.

Well I have the BBCi player on my Nexus 7 and its not running flash player. Try via here.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.uk.co.bbc.android.mediaplayer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImFpci51ay5jby5iYmMuYW5kcm9pZC5tZWRpYXBsYXllciJd
    I now also have the BBCi player app sign on my Nexus 7.
    I got it just over a week before my Nexus updated to 4.2 and I can say for sure I dsont have flash player on the Nexus.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked at my Installed apps and BBC is not listed. Yet its on my App screen and it dose work.

Darren
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Well I have the BBCi player on my Nexus 7 and its not running flash player. Try via here.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.uk.co.bbc.android.mediaplayer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImFpci51ay5jby5iYmMuYW5kcm9pZC5tZWRpYXBsYXllciJd
    I now also have the BBCi player app sign on my Nexus 7.
    I got it just over a week before my Nexus updated to 4.2 and I can say for sure I dsont have flash player on the Nexus.

Darren

Yes, the update to support Android 4.1 without Flash was about a month ago, but that's not what was being asked about.

The question being asked was whether or not it can be installed from Google Play on a Nexus 7 running 4.2, to which the answer is no. The BBC have not certified it for 4.2 yet.

You can still use it because you installed it on 4.1, and upgrading to 4.2 does not break it. It will install from other sources, just not from the Play Store.
  • Options
    GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I followed the instructions from here and even though I am not particularly technie it worked perfectly. I was a bit concerned about installing an app not certified by Google in case it invalidated the guarantee but in the end i went for it!
    I can now watch BBC I Player and Channel 4 OD. I haven't tried ITV Player yet but I am sure it will work OK now i have Flash installed.