Windows 8 is pig ugly!

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Reading this thread with interest.

I have windows 8 (on a family touchscreen pc) and I love it. Tiles are great for casual or family use.

For those needing more complex usage its one extra click to get to a windows 7 type interface. One extra click. You know, a bit like that one click needed for the start menu ? And as the os loads quicker than win 7 you can still be at that interface quicker than you could on win 7 !!!!

Some of you guys would still prefer it if we were still on 3.1 :rolleyes:
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like the look of it actually. I'm not going to upgrade though. W7 still looks new and fresh.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Reading this thread with interest.

I have windows 8 (on a family touchscreen pc) and I love it. Tiles are great for casual or family use.

For those needing more complex usage its one extra click to get to a windows 7 type interface. One extra click. You know, a bit like that one click needed for the start menu ? And as the os loads quicker than win 7 you can still be at that interface quicker than you could on win 7 !!!!

Some of you guys would still prefer it if we were still on 3.1 :rolleyes:

I would take the longer boot of 7 and take in the increased productivity of having a startmenu, and not feeling sick with the screen flipping between normal and metro everytime i load an application.

Also Windows 3.1 was more colourful and looked better than Windows 8 Metro 'thing'. Compared to Windows 8, Windows 3.1 was easier to use, and i would rather use it any day over 8 if all the programs i needed worked in it today.
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    I would take the longer boot of 7 and take in the increased productivity of having a startmenu, and not feeling sick with the screen flipping between normal and metro everytime i load an application.

Also Windows 3.1 was more colourful and looked better than Windows 8 Metro 'thing'. Compared to Windows 8, Windows 3.1 was easier to use, and i would rather use it any day over 8 if all the programs i needed worked in it today.

You really don't like change do you :p
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »

Why would you be doing that????? I'm beginning to think I'm using it wrongly!!??
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate Windows 8. It's crap.
    Forum Member

I suggest you avoid it then ;)

Personally I'm a windows 8 fan !
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

Guess that sums up the in depth use you gave it......Clearly it's not 'crap' just different and you prefer something else........As you are no longer using it, it's not relevant either way....:)
  • jwsgjwsg Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Sadly for the haters the time to get something changed is long passed. It's been in development for years and gone through various preview releases which were the time to step forward and get things changed. I'm not sure how a vast technical organisation like Microsoft would respond to some of the colourful phrases used here and elsewhere but good luck trying.
    The really helpful comments are those that actually try to help people learn how best to use it - as has been said many times you can do most things staying in the desktop. Apart form some of the Apps that are useful, like the 6 months free streaming from Music, and some of the games. If you do happen to have a touchscreen then the opposite is probably true - using the desktop would feel strange.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Microsoft's big mistake was in not allowing both old and new interfaces to be equally accessible and configurable. If the new Metro method is so darned good, clearly it would be just a matter of time before people started switching to it in hordes. One day, when it does what I want how I want it to, I myself may well start using it but not yet. MS have a lot more work to do on it before it can be considered anywhere near mature (except on tablets).
    I agree with that, why not allow people who are desktop driven to set it up as a desktop and people who are tablet orientated to use it how they want. I've installed start8 to accommodate what I want.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    You really don't like change do you :p

It's not about change, it's about an absence of choice and relative lack of efficiency for those who prefer to use only windows in Windows, and who may find the Metro interface and its Apps to be cumbersome and limiting.

As an established Windows 8 user, for a few months since the RTM, I will continue to speak up for potential new users who value those things. I will also point out that there's an easy solution (no thanks to Microsoft): Classic Shell (or similar as mentioned by tealady). A solution that provides users with the choice that should have been there for their money, in the first place.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not about change, it's about an absence of choice and relative lack of efficiency for those who prefer to use only windows in Windows, and who may find the Metro interface and its Apps to be cumbersome and limiting.

As an established Windows 8 user, for a few months since the RTM, I will continue to speak up for potential new users who value those things. I will also point out that there's an easy solution (no thanks to Microsoft): Classic Shell (or similar as mentioned by tealady). A solution that provides users with the choice that should have been there for their money, in the first place.

Steven Sinofsky in one his demos earlier in the year did mention he no doubt expected people to use various utilities to customise Windows how they want and that could include things like Classic Shell.

Choice doesn't mean everything has to be provided by MIcrosoft, choice means third-parties can provide things like Classic Shell.
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well given the fact Microsoft have said how slow sales of Windows 8 are, I'd be interested to see some facts and figures. Personally I think Metro is a waste of time, space and energy on a desktop computer. I do like the new Windows 8 desktop design, flat UI, etc.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    I do like the new Windows 8 desktop design, flat UI, etc.
    Fair enough, but couldn't you achieve the same effect in Windows 7 using Control Panel > Personalization?
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but couldn't you achieve the same effect in Windows 7 using Control Panel > Personalization?

Pretty much!

That's why I used Windows 8 for a while, but just went back to Windows 7.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I keep reading people glibly referring to Windows 8 as "Fisher Price." Its funny, because that is exactly the same name that was levelled at XP due to the interface apparently looking like it was drawn with crayons!

I was one of them. I used to say Windows XP looked like a toy. Strange thing is that I used that OS for 7 years (March 2003-August 2010)!
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MS should have given everyone the choice, instead of dictating the interface

I've heard you say this before, but Microsoft have always dictated the interface. They dictated that we use the start menu when they scrapped program manager in its favour. The only difference is that you liked what they dictated to you in that instance.

There's no "consumer choice" in having a start menu over any other interface. It's like saying Microsoft should include a version of the OSX dock, as some people prefer that interface and if they don't, they're "dictating the interface to you." But that's just a colourful way of saying they choose the interface for their own product.

But that's nothing new.

Microsoft choose the interface and the consumers either like it or they don't. They then vote by upgrading or not upgrading. But they're not doing anything different now just because you don't like the interface they've chosen. They're not restricting your choice more than before. Its simply that you preferred what they forced on you in the past.
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I've heard you say this before, but Microsoft have always dictated the interface. They dictated that we use the start menu when they scrapped program manager in its favour. The only difference is that you liked what they dictated to you in that instance.

Well Microsoft allowed users optionally to continue to use program manager in Windows 95 (the O/S that replaced it) so your point isn't really relevant. It seems that their consumer standards were somewhat higher back in the 1990s, it says quite a lot about the way the corporation has developed - reducing choice.

On the other hand, I know Metro will suit some members of my extended family and indeed, I've even recommended it to one and have just bought the upgrade for him. I was very pleased with the download speed, 48Mbps using BT Infinity 2 so 5 minutes, excellent. Doesn't seem to be an option to burn it to ISO (for DVD) though, something I know was present initially after its release, very strange. Need to dig around a bit on that.
    Forum Member
    Sorted the ISO problem above. I made the purchase on a Windows XP boot, as MS had refused to allow it on my Windows 8 boot. There was no 'burn to media' option so I rebooted into 8, re-downloaded the installation files (only 4 minutes this time :D ) using the key provided in XP on purchase, ran the install again in 8, and the ISO option magically appeared. You don't get that option in XP, weird, but I now have an ISO to burn and take with me when I gift the Win 8 upgrade. A snip at £24.99.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I agree with that, why not allow people who are desktop driven to set it up as a desktop and people who are tablet orientated to use it how they want. I've installed start8 to accommodate what I want.

It wouldn't be difficult either. I wouldn't try ir without someone with expertise here saying its valid, but there are youtubes that tell you how to boot straight to something that looks like W7 and all they claim you need to do is to change one entry in the registry between a 1 and 0 to switch metro off. I imagine the downloads do the same thing or something similar.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just Win8 that's ugly, Office 2013 looks like Fisher Price designed it :(
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was the OP for this thread so I thought I would give my thoughts after using Win 8 for a few days.

Still think it looks plain after Win 7 but I have found a theme that looks ok so I can live with that.

Overall I now like it everything seems to run a bit quicker and all my programs work fine.

Don't miss the start button at all and really like the new start screen.

I am enjoying looking for apps and installing them(Had a great half hour playing Angry Birds!)

Just want to say that its worth sticking with and have just ordered another copy to put on my main gaming computer!
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This video perfectly sums up for me why W8 is completely half baked, trying to aim at two different hardware platforms but failing both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohg_oBFKliI
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    This video perfectly sums up for me why W8 is completely half baked, trying to aim at two different hardware platforms but failing both:

That guy is a moron, people repeatedly saying "considering what I'm used to" and "MS need to stop bundling their services, it's what they got in trouble for" make me sad.

Also, refering to the desktop as an app that's like the desktop you're used to is just wrong wrong wrong. It is the desktop you're used to, not an app or like it, it IS IT.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    jzee wrote: »

That guy is a moron
    A measured response from a MS fanboy:cool:.
    people repeatedly saying "considering what I'm used to" and "MS need to stop bundling their services, it's what they got in trouble for" make me sad.
    People are used to a Start menu system on desktop or laptop PCs as that is what works best. A screen with huge buttons is what works on a tablet. They should never have tried to combine the two. And he does have a point about MS forcing all these MS services as default on the user. I presume they will pretty quickly be made to pull back from that and give equal prominence to a non MS login, and a screen that pops up after boot up that lets you choose between browser, email, messaging, and online storage options for your buttons.
    Also, refering to the desktop as an app that's like the desktop you're used to is just wrong wrong wrong. It is the desktop you're used to, not an app or like it, it IS IT.
    Except it doesn't have the main feature of the desktop we're used to, a Start menu.