Comments

• LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    But how we're they downloaded?

When I was online.
    Do please follow me.
    My question about photocopying forms on my iPad screen arose from my having my iPad in an environment where it was not possible to go on line.

Perhaps you don't understand Kindle.
    When I was on line I downloaded the free Kindle software from Amazon.
    When I am on line I purchase books from Amazon which are downloaded to my iPad.
    They are thus stored on my iPad.
    They can then be read when I am off line.

Perhaps the confusion arose because another poster assumed my iPad was NEVER on line.
    That was wrong, I never did say that it was never on line, I said that it was off line when I wanted to photocopy its screen.
    :):D
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Please, please refer to my post above where I say that my ipad is not on line, so e-mailing is out.

How are you getting your kindle books then? If you have wifi at home get a copy of the book or document and email it to yourself. Then print out at work. If your workplace blocks the files on the email then copy them onto a cd or USB stick.

You're going to look a right banana if you try and scan in your ipad. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See my post above.
    To recap.
    My iPad is normally on line, doing all the things an iPad does.
    OK so far?
    Sometimes I am a guest worker in an environment where I have no Internet connection.
    OK so far?
    In that environment I may want to give someone a copy of a document which is stored on my iPad.
    Hence my original question - would I damage my iPad by photocopying the image of the document on its screen?

I think I will abandon the idea.
    I agree, I would look a right Charlie.
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until you get home and email them the document. Or maybe save your documents to a USB pen drive. Of course if you created the files when you were in the office you still have to wait to go home to either email documents or make a back up to a USB drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    It's a there and then situation.
    The people I want to give the form to are not online at home or anywhere.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. A big office Scanner/Printer.

Whats the make and model of it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    It's a there and then situation.
    The people I want to give the form to are not online at home or anywhere.

You've got a printer but no Internet access? In an office :confused:

And none of them have Internet at home either? Are you time travelling to work in the 80s?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got a printer but no Internet access? In an office :confused:

And none of them have Internet at home either? Are you time travelling to work in the 80s?

Correct.
    No internet connection for my iPad.
    I am only there for four hours a week.
    And homeless people are not usually online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct.
    No internet connection for my iPad.
    I am only there for four hours a week.
    And homeless people are not usually online.

So if this is a form then why can't you copy it onto a data stick at home and then transfer the file to PC at work and print it? Then when someone needs it you can go and print it off for them.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. A big office Scanner/Printer.
    1saintly wrote: »
    Whats the make and model of it?

A answer to this would be a huge help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if this is a form then why can't you copy it onto a data stick at home and then transfer the file to PC at work and print it? Then when someone needs it you can go and print it off for them.

The Form is individualized for the person there and then.
    I do not have acces to a PC.

Sorry, don't know the make of the printer. It's big and white and a little man comes in regularly and replaces or tops up what he calls the 'toner'
    But I'll find out.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not have access to a PC.

Well if you're doing this in a work/professional situation then I would look at getting a 3G Mifi unit, perhaps the charity or organisation you help can supply the small costs this would involve?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm suddenly reminded of this: http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/blog/blog-images/printout-of-computer-screen-monitor.jpg

Takes the term "print screen" to a whole new meaning, huh? :D
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the screenshot then plug the tablet into a PC and copy the picture file from the tablet to the PC.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense.
    Kindle, camera, calendar, Notes, My Accounts, stored forms on Page, - shall I go on?

Its pretty useless in this case though isn't it!?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not have acces to a PC.

Sorry, don't know the make of the printer. It's big and white and a little man comes in regularly and replaces or tops up what he calls the 'toner'
    But I'll find out.

Wow, an ipad seems the worst equipment in this situation then. Cant you plug it into a pc and copy the form off instead?
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, an ipad seems the worst equipment in this situation then. Cant you plug it into a pc and copy the form off instead?

I agree, and when I've required hard copy from my iPad at work I set up a mobile wifi hotspot with my phone, email over the content to my business email, open and print. The only other way would be, as others have suggested, do a screen capture of the document (power button + home), connect iPad to any available PC USB, pull off the image file, send to printer.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm suddenly reminded of this: http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/blog/blog-images/printout-of-computer-screen-monitor.jpg

Takes the term "print screen" to a whole new meaning, huh? :D

OT: That's actually not as funny as it seems. Back in the 1980s we used to produce printed documents, to accompany a computer program (WordPerfect V for DOS), by taking a physical photographs of a monitor screen. :eek:

Back on topic: It does seem like a stand-alone iPad is not a good tool for the job in hand.

You could use either a WiFi connection, find a nearby coffee shop, or perhaps even just a BlueTooth connection to an iPhone if you have one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem solved.
    I now have access to the host's office PCs and printer.
    Thanks.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    It's great that your problem has been solved (your initial question was hilarious, no offence!). Surely a laptop is more suitable for your line of work?