Rugby League 2014

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Hull appears to be the only city or town with 2 top level teams

How does that work out as far as support goes ?.....does it depend on which part of the city you're from ?

I've been reading up about the fixtures.....I don't get this magic weekend thing. It seems that they all play each other home and away and this magic weekend is an additional one-off fixture. Does it count for points in the League ?......how do they decide who plays who ?

It used to be derbies, or the nearest to. Hull V Rovers, Wigan V Saints, Leeds V Bradford, Wakefield V Castleford and then Warrington V Huddersfield and London V Catalans
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two teams to drop out of Super League at the end of 2014 will be determined by league position, the RFL has confirmed.

The governing body's independent Board of Directors ratified the new league structure late last week, meaning Super League and the Championship will become 12-team competitions that split into three groups of eight in the latter stages of the season.

It means that two teams will drop out of Super League at the end of this year, and there will be no special dispensation for Catalan Dragons or London Broncos, should they finish in the bottom two.

In a statement, the RFL said: "The RFL Board’s ratification means that two clubs will be relegated from the First Utility Super League at the end of the 2014 season, with the relegated clubs to be those finishing in 13th and 14th position after 27 rounds.

"Details of the decision, its impact on the clubs currently outside Super League, the mechanisms by which the Kingstone Press Championship will become a 12-team competition and the new format of Championship One will be outlined to the Championships clubs at a meeting on Thursday February 6."
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    no premier sports for the championship this season , they seem unhappy as sky taking the rights back from 2015
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    tonypennys wrote: »
    no premier sports for the championship this season , they seem unhappy as sky taking the rights back from 2015

Premier Sports contract to cover The Championship finished at the end of the 2013 Season and they decided not to renew it months ago, the reorganisation of The Super League and The Championship with its new TV Contract had no baring on their decision AFAIK. Though if the rumours are right I suspect most Championship will be happy since their TV Money will be increased from £90,000 to £700,000 a year.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell much from a pre-season testimonial game, but Leeds looked very sharp against London last night. Ben Jones Bishop got a second half hat-trick and looked very pacy. The arrival of Briscoe (who has an enourmous sticky out arse) looks like it might spur him on.
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Premier Sports contract to cover The Championship finished at the end of the 2013 Season and they decided not to renew it months ago, the reorganisation of The Super League and The Championship with its new TV Contract had no baring on their decision AFAIK. Though if the rumours are right I suspect most Championship will be happy since their TV Money will be increased from £90,000 to £700,000 a year.

When I spoke to premier sports they told me they wanted to show the championship as the money involved was very small they only took the championship off their website when sky announced the New deal the money will be good but Leigh will have to go full time to have any chance of going up and off 660,000 Will be a big challenge
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who will be Wigans kicker this season ? Will Matty Smith get the nod ?
    Forum Member
    tso wrote: »
    Who will be Wigans kicker this season ? Will Matty Smith get the nod ?

not sure interesting to see who gets it
    Forum Member
    Very interesting article by martin sadler in the league express this week

the SL were ought by getting 300,000 in the next week which helped most no end

from 2015 they will get 1.825 mill a year

the championship sees a big difference in monies the 2 relegated SL clubs get 788,000 and 787,000

1st place 550,000 2nd 500,000 3rd 200,000 then it goes on scale to 12th 150,000

Champ 1 clubs get 75,000

The gap will just get bigger and it will make a gap in championship from what is a close league
    Forum Member
    Premier sports had planned to show the championship this season and wanted to show games from 2015 but the RL shut them out and did a deal with sky without involving them so they decided not to show it this year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Rumours recently about Sam Burgess switching to Rugby Union, they deny they have made a bid, I wonder if he is tempted by it though?

http://www.leaguefreak.com/sam-burgess-considering-a-switch-to-rugby-union-6633/
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual Super League manage to start the season at a time when they are guaranteed to be overshadowed by everything else. Thoroughly enjoying the game so far.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah......Friday nights is not good

I thought they were going to have televised games on Thursdays when there's nowt else on......
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aah.....they've just had ad saying the games are on Thursday from next week.......I'm more likely to watch !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying this high-tech new video ref's booth. It's like an episode of 24.
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our opening match is tomorrow night against Saints. Thursdays are a strange day but at least once the game is finished you have the rest of the weekend to enjoy all the other games. I think quite a few of our early season games are on Thursday nights.

I didn't really take to the Monday night matches, I wonder if they will be brought back again once the football season ends in May.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dire Wire in the first half.

Although Stains should be down to 12 men. Not even on report, and it was a shocking high shot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fed up of refs wimping out and putting things on report. I'd like to see, at least, that any player put on report gets an automatic 10 minutes in the sin bin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fed up of refs wimping out and putting things on report. I'd like to see, at least, that any player put on report gets an automatic 10 minutes in the sin bin.

Its been happening for years. They need to scrap the "on report" now, it's getting to be quite simply a cop out for the officials.

Any on report issues go to the disciplinary panel and they are just as bad.

How the hell Bowen and Soliola didn't get sent off is beyond me.

Also, this "team warning" thing annoys me too. There is no directive as to how many penalties a team needs to concede in order to get a warning. Unfortunately it's at the discrection of the referee, so for one team it could be 3 or 4 (probably Salford) and for others it will be about 15-16 (Leeds, Wigan etc)

On a seperate note, if Luke Walsh continues playing like he did yesterday, he'll be up for a MOS nomination, no question. Tore us to pieces.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, what a game for a Friday night. OK a bit of a game of basketball, but great entertainment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an absolute awful match that was. Shocking advert for the game. It was who could make the most errors. Two very poor sides tonight.

Now roll on Sunday at the "other" KC Stadium when the mighty Robins show Leeds how to play
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolute awful match that was. Shocking advert for the game. It was who could make the most errors. Two very poor sides tonight.

Now roll on Sunday at the "other" KC Stadium when the mighty Robins show Leeds how to play

Didnt watch it personally but 15 tries an awful game:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tso wrote: »
    Didnt watch it personally but 15 tries an awful game:confused:

Yes. Shows the defence was absolutely appalling. Game was error strewn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm assuming if Catalans won you would be saying what a great game it was? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im only a newbie who follows the scores so i dont really know what constitutes a good game;-)