World of Tanks Xbox 360

Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
Forum Member
For those that are interested there was a big update to World of Tanks on the 360 yesterday.

A "Crew" option has been added, so you can now train up your tank crews and give them special skills and perks to make them better at their jobs.

Since the game launched they have also added around a dozen new tanks (and offered another half dozen "Premium" tanks for those that want to splash the cash) and 5 new maps, so the game has been growing quite nicely on the 360.

It's not perfect, but is a great blast and still free for those that are willing to put in the XP grind.

Comments

• SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been enjoying this game for the last few months now.
    Just recently though there seems to be an increase of idiots that just want to ram into your tank and not actually play the game.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Can't say I've noticed that paticular brand of idiot, but there are plenty of others out there.

I'm constantly amazed by the amount of tier 7, 8 and 9 tanker that still just charge off to lone wolf it at the round start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I had someone the other day start ramming me with a medium tank. We were playing on Malinkova and it was one of the games where your side has to defend a single base whilst the enemy attacks. I was on the defending side sat up on the ridge overlooking the base when this idiot starts trying to ram me off the ridge. After a couple of minutes I got fed up so moved further along the ridge to let him get on with it. I assumed I was in a firing position he wanted so went elsewhere. He just followed and started ramming into me again. I just exited the game because he was being a nob.

In another game on the same map I was on the same ridge again and somebody in a heavy tank pushed me off the ridge then say there shooting away. He clearly had decided he wanted that firing position and pushing me out of the way was how he was going to get it.

I think the people in the higher tier heavies seem to think they're invincible which is why they wander off on their own trying to take everyone on. What they don't seem to understand is if they come up against a couple of decent tank destroyers they're going to be taken out fairly quick.
    Forum Member
    Are people still doing that? i thought that "jolly jape" had run its course.

Some people are just born griefers - pushing others off the hill in Malinovka is just a great way of making sure your side loses the round...

Mind you, I've seen plenty of heavies and TD's go charging down the hill an doff into teh distance at the start of a round - only to get shot to pieces without the rest of us ever seeing who did it to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had great games where everyone is working together (the Yanks tend to take the game more seriously) and then I've had games that are full of people running off on their own and getting themselves killed. I've had games where our team is losing 7-0 after a couple of minutes then everyone that's left gets picked off as the opposing teams tanks move forward. A few weeks ago I had a game where the entire match all you could hear over the speakers was some guy playing the game whilst having an argument with his drunken girlfriend. At some points she was screaming for him to get off her because he was apparently sitting on her to stop her going off on one after she threatened to stab him. Complete weirdos!

Still trying to build up my tanks at the moment. Manage to get a Churchill heavy but it's taking a while to level up. I'd like to get a Tiger but that's way off.
    Forum Member
    The Tiger manages to be really great and a massive disappointment at the same time - It's pretty quick and has a powerful gun once you've maxed out the research packages, but the gun is slow to reload and the tanks armour is easily penetrated unless you angle or use the terrain. I've just got my Tigers crew to 100% so I'm going to start piling on the skills and perks to see if I can turn it into a real beast.

I think the maxed out Churchill VII is pretty decent, but it is the American T-29 that is the real beast of the tier 6/7 heavy classes. which is probably why you see so many of them, same with the Tiger II for tier 8.

I've come to the conclusion that people who leave the Kinect broadcasting their domestic lives ought to be beaten to death with the damn thing - I really don't want to hear people chatting to their wives/kids/friends/whatever while they game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they're giving away 2 days free premium today.... but the servers have been down all morning!
    Forum Member
    5x crew XP all weekend on WOT.

Plus some additional Premium Russian tanks have been added to the store.
    Forum Member
    Another cracking update to WOT is on the horizon.

As well as two new maps we are getting rainstorm variants of three maps, night time variants of three maps and a snowstorm variant of the Mountain Pass map.

Plus an additional 7x American Tanks added to their tank destroyer line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another cracking update to WOT is on the horizon.

As well as two new maps we are getting rainstorm variants of three maps, night time variants of three maps and a snowstorm variant of the Mountain Pass map.

Plus an additional 7x American Tanks added to their tank destroyer line.

Sounds good.

I'm still enjoying this game but don't get on the Xbox often enough to get through all the tank levels. I'm still trying to upgrade my Churchill I to a Churchill VII and need 22,000 XP. :(

The amount of XP you need to upgrade some of these things is ridiculous. I'm also confused about how they actually work the XP out as you can hit and destroy loads of tanks yet get a pittance but then in some games you hardly hit anyone and get loads. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Sadly, it only gets worse the higher you get - I needed 100,000 XP to unlock the final package for the Conqueror (tier 9) and now I need a further 210,000 XP to unlock the next tank. :cry:

The way XP is calculated for a match is something of a black art, but mostly it revolves around the damage you've doled out - so someone who "kills" an enemy tank with 1000 health points might only have taken away its last 10 hp when they killed it - so wouldn't get much XP. Whereas the person who did the 990 worth of damage before hand would get a lot of XP.

Plus you get 2x XP for the first battle - which will inflate your initial points tally.
    Forum Member
    "The Russians are coming!" :o

WOT is adding a couple more maps and 29 Russian tanks in their update next Tuesday.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I'm just downloading this now. Is there a special mode for newbies? or do you get thrown in with the top tier tanks to be destroyed.
    Forum Member
    They have "battle tiers" normally it is 2 up and two down - So if you have a tier 3 tank you might be bottom tier in with tier 5 tankers, but you equally might be top tier with tier 1's.

TBH I wouldn't worry - 90% of matches below tier 5 are thin on tactics and just mass brawls anyway.

Saying that, I've seen tier 10's go full kamikaze.
    Forum Member
    If anyone here has ever been tempted to give WOT a look, but never got round to it - this weekend might be your best reason to have a go.

They have revamped the training level and tutorial videos and you now get in-game gold, silver and XP for completing them.

also, this weekend you will earn 5x XP for you first winning battle in each tank you own and they are giving away a "rare" premium scout tank to everyone who plays the game between 15-17 August.

If you use the gold you get to buy 3 days of premium time in the store you'll be able to earn accelerated amounts of silver and XP from every match you play. This should all help you to progress quickly from the lowest tier tanks to the more diverse and interesting ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got back to playing this over the last few days.

Trying to upgrade my AT-8 to an AT-7 now!
    Forum Member
    WOT are having a promotional tie-in with the film "Fury" next week.

Along with ops and events there will be a premium "Easy 8" tank for sale with a fury paint job (for a limited time only).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got the AT-7 but now most of my games seem to be full of tier 8 and 9 tanks making me one of the worst tanks in the game.
    Forum Member
    More content - 28 French tanks have been added to WOT today along with 2 more maps and some adjustments to a few of the existing maps.

Not bad for a game that you can play for free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More content - 28 French tanks have been added to WOT today along with 2 more maps and some adjustments to a few of the existing maps.

Not bad for a game that you can play for free.

I've played one of the new maps , Pearl River, which appears to be a maze of tracks hidden in hills and can be a real pain if you've picked a slow tank destroyer.
    It also seems to have a bit of an oriental feel which makes me think that the Japanese tank updates aren't too far off. I read they have Japanese tanks in the PC version.

It's good that they've put some of the old maps back in the rotation as I've missed playing on the likes of Sand River and Widepark.

They say they've made tweaks to them but I haven't noticed any real differences so far.