Options

Do we need A butch woman to voice Rugby League ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
Forum Member
Is this the idea?.... Butch woman to encourage a butch sport. Sorry..she's not even a good presenter. she just shouts....

Comments

• Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Earl Crabtree's not a women, he's just got long hair :D
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Earl Crabtree's not a women, he's just got long hair :D

And his uncle was called Shirley.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanya Arnold has been on Look North in West Yorkshire as the main sports editor for some time now and has also presented the sport on BBC News and BBC Breakfast. She is very good at what she does and she is not butch.

regardless her looks shouldn't enter into it. Not everyone is as shallow as you
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanya Arnold has been on Look North in West Yorkshire as the main sports editor for some time now and has also presented the sport on BBC News and BBC Breakfast. She is very good at what she does and she is not butch.

regardless her looks shouldn't enter into it. Not everyone is as shallow as you

She does have a rather deep voice though.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I don't care what she looks like, but Harry Gratian was a better presenter for the Superleague Show.
  • Options
    tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Think she does a great job knows her stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    She does have a rather deep voice though.

And Jamie Peacock has a rather high voice, does that make him any less of a man ?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Davies can yelp for Wales, in both codes!

Sarra Elgan has done some RL when S4C was showing it.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both BBC and Sky are guilty of only having Northern accents for Rugby league coverage.

Other than Davies and Carney its just nothing but Northern accents which only emphasises the ‘Northern Sport’ stereotype.

There needs to be some more balance with the coverage and get some voices which are not northern.

Sky should get one of the SSN girls involved a lot more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Both BBC and Sky are guilty of only having Northern accents for Rugby league coverage.

Other than Davies and Carney its just nothing but Northern accents which only emphasises the ‘Northern Sport’ stereotype.

There needs to be some more balance with the coverage and get some voices which are not northern.

The BBC used to have Clare Balding anchoring their RL coverage.

She used to have a page in the Evening Standard on a Thursday, sports section. She devoted three quarters of it to being taken to a Broncos v Wigan game and finding it all terribly exciting. I doubt the Broncos ever had three quarters of a page since.

Shortly after that article, she got the BBC gig.

Still, it didn't stop some Northerners writing into a magazine bemoaning her, with the usual "posh" and "Southern" insults.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No you give the jobs to the best people and if they happen to be from the north then fair enough

Dave Woods and Eddie are good commentators. As is, the non northern sounding Bill Arthur.

Best pundits ( for me ) are Brian Noble ( or Brian Northern as my other half calls him ) Brian Carney ( Irish accent ) and Barry and Terry ( both northern )

But you cannot employ somebody to do a role based purely on where they were born. Claire Balding actually hosted rugby league prior to Tanya and Chappers and she didn't do a bad job of it.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's because Rugby League is a northern sport.
    I know London have a team. But it was artificially created. And the team have failed to capture the imagination of Londoners - at least, so far.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I know London have a team. But it was artificially created. And the team have failed to capture the imagination of Londoners - at least, so far.

What about the Dragons in France? They are also very Southern!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil Clarke was so biased to Wigan last nite very cringeworthy
    Paul Cullen doesn't listen to the question he just goes on about what he likes
    The backchat crew are good chris irvine is from Nottingham lives in yorkshire now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about the Dragons in France? They are also very Southern!

And the South Wales Scorpions. They are very Western!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »

London have two full time professional teams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    London have two full time professional teams.

Which is the second?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tonypennys wrote: »
    Which is the second?

London Skolars. They've been fully pro for a few years now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Good stuff thought they were part time should get promoted next season

We go full time 1st December for next year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are they ? Like Tony I was convinced they were part time amateurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are they ? Like Tony I was convinced they were part time amateurs.

They turned fully pro a few seasons ago.
    They have Broncos regularly turning out for them.

Unless they've gone back to being a semi-pro or amateur side? But I've not heard anything about this.

They used to market themselves at Broncos games as "London's Second Professional RL team".
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They turned fully pro a few seasons ago.
    They have Broncos regularly turning out for them.

Unless they've gone back to being a semi-pro or amateur side? But I've not heard anything about this.

They used to market themselves at Broncos games as "London's Second Professional RL team".

That doesn't preclude them being part-time pros though. Frankly, if they were full-time, they should be doing better than 7th in a 9-team division.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are no teams in championship full time not sure about championship 1 leigh train Tues Thursday nights and sat mornings I know duel registration players train with the SL clubs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the OP is now inactive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see the OP is now inactive

No great loss. His other posts have him talking about football and Big Brother.