If Chelsea says 'aks' again I may phone Ofcom

Comments

• circling girlcircling girl Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Might I refer the learned scholars of this forum to the 'predictions' post that I made earlier. See the bottom one:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=14851914&postcount=4

Just call me Mystic Meg Nostradamus.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say that I was only joking in my OP! Well, half-joking, it still annoys me when she says it but I'm not stupid enough to get so worked up that I would contact Ofcom or actually complain to the BBC.:rolleyes:

This isn't me being racist either (my my, we do bandy that word around a lot now, I could go on a rant about that but I won't). I wasn't even aware that her saying 'arks' was related to a West Indian-influenced accent or whatever. If that makes me ignorant in any way then I'm sorry. So why does Catherine Tate's teenager character say 'arks' then?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    coruna wrote: »
    That makes no odds, its a genetic thing, and a slight speech and language issue.

Are you saying that she chooses to speak like that.:o
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Are you saying that she chooses to speak like that.:o

No I am saying some people have speech and language problems, hence they have a profession entitled Speech and Language Therapist.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I just say that I was only joking in my OP! Well, half-joking, it still annoys me when she says it but I'm not stupid enough to get so worked up that I would contact Ofcom or actually complain to the BBC.:rolleyes:

This isn't me being racist either (my my, we do bandy that word around a lot now, I could go on a rant about that but I won't). I wasn't even aware that her saying 'arks' was related to a West Indian-influenced accent or whatever. If that makes me ignorant in any way then I'm sorry. So why does Catherine Tate's teenager character say 'arks' then?

There is always something funny, that just ain't funny. Personally didn't find it funny for personal reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to get involved in the argument or nothing, I just reckon it's so funny when Chelsea goes 'arks' , I don't know if that's how she's been brought up, I guess the only reason I found it funny was because that is how the Catherine Tate charcter 'Lauren' talks, and she is taking the mick.
    Lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i say 'aks' i think a few people do around from london.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Chelsea. Tiana is a great actress with a talent for drama and comedy. Chelsea's accent is a part of the way she expresses herself. I find it appealing and actually any word she says sounds lovely to my ears. :cool:

If everyone spoke the same language and had the same accent, the world would be very boring. :cry:The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain. :rolleyes:
  • OrlandoBloomfanOrlandoBloomfan Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Chelsea is quite realistic for a black character in London thesedays. Tiana did her homework. Its great to see she has so many fans.

As for this thread.... is it a joke? Paul Trueman used to say it as well did you phone ofcom then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jxa09 wrote: »
    Don't go OTT will you? :rolleyes: Next you'll be blaming me for the war. I asked the OP a question and suddenly I'm hitler. Riiiight.

And before anyone says my post doesn't make sense, their post has been edited. It originally said that 'people like me' were responsible for all the trouble in the world. :rolleyes: Oh please.

soley your fault :eek: thats a lot of burden to take on your shoulders.

Anyways i dont like chelsea never have since day one. no explanations needed just dont like her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hehehe i was thinking about Aks last night when she said it i am glad others agree
  • tvhonourtvhonour Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I luv Tiana! She's fantastic as Chelsea. I luv the little lines she comes out with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's fairly obvious the OP is just joking. I have noticed Chelsea says aks instead of ask - but last night she seemed to do it about twenty times, and it sounds forced. I imagine it's not her natural accent and it's gotta be difficult to train yourself to say aks instead of ask (and vice versa!). She puts too much emphasis on it - like 'look my character speaks like this'. Other characters say it more naturally and it disappears within the sentence. I think this all has more to do with the actresses' inability to make the pronounciation blend in with her accent - essentially I don't think you could describe aks as part of an accent - surely it's a dialect? Language experts feel free to correct me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did love chelseas face when she realised what she has sent carly to!
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Chelsea was born and raised in England:confused:

She should be told by the directors to pronounce it correctly, as should anyone else who says it like that. I have black friends who DON'T say"aks" so i think it's a bit "stereotypical" really...
  • OrlandoBloomfanOrlandoBloomfan Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day an accent is an accent and all EastEnders are doing is showing how most of the people with Chelsea's background speak in London today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Language experts feel free to correct me.

It is dialect.

di·a·lect ('ə-lĕkt') pron.gif
    n.
    1. A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the culture in which it exists: Cockney is a dialect of English.
    :)

Actually both:

ac·cent (ăk'sĕnt') pronunciation
    n.

1. The relative prominence of a particular syllable of a word by greater intensity or by variation or modulation of pitch or tone.
    2. Vocal prominence or emphasis given to a particular syllable, word, or phrase.
    3. A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
    1. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.
    2. One determined by the phonetic habits of the speaker's native language carried over to his or her use of another language.

Not a language expert, but that's what I found.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sorry, what I was going to say had just been complained about and I hadn't realise. I don't think you're racist but your attitude doesn't give much evidence against that. There are probably a lot of coloured people on digital Spy who speak like that, maybe you should think about what you're saying a little more.
  • Jxa09Jxa09 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I love the way Chelsea speaks, I embrace it. :D I'm not the one complaining about it. Her attitude has me in stitches sometimes.

I think it adds to her character and is very realistic. Tiana has really done her research if she doesn't speak like that in RL.
    Forum Member
    Let's call the whole thing off! :D
    PMSL! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bevheth wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this. I agree that it would be wise to be versed in proper English if that is fitting for your professional work environment. But, just being in the world, and living day to day, pronouncing ask as ax or aks is not the end of the world. Nor does it indicate a lack of intelligence. It's a different way of speaking. If that offends some and makes some angry, that's unfortunate. :eek: And funny. :D
    Forum Member
    I think it's great to have characters with different accents. It makes it feel more diverse.

That's not the same as saying that Chelsea is a token character because I think the Fox girls are far from tokens. I don't think EastEnders has any token characters at the moment. :) I'm also not suggesting that she is there just because of her accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jxa09 wrote: »
    I think it's great to have characters with different accents. It makes it feel more diverse.

That's not the same as saying that Chelsea is a token character in that sense because I think the Fox girls are far from tokens. I don't think EastEnders has any token characters at the moment. :)

Thank goodness. :D The Foxes are brilliant characters written with depth and are well acted. I love EE for bringing them to the Square.
    Forum Member
    Well I've always loved Diane Parish.

I loved her in Babyfather and I loved her in The Bill. I was very excited when I heard she was coming to EastEnders and I wasn't let down. I loved the three girls in that flat and I felt the Wicks watered them down slightly when they started living together but just this past week I have seen the spark between the three girls again. :D