Orangutan Diary - Shocking & Sad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
Forum Member
I followed this last week although I really felt like giving up after the first 10 minutes ... it was so sad, the plight of these poor animals.

I'm glad I stuck with it though, because it was fascinating and there is some hope, with the charity involved hoping to keep 300K hectares of forest safe for them.

With 1 in 10 supermarket products using Palm Oil, and a lot of it farmed on former Forests I really wished the BBC could have told us which brands to avoid and which were better to use. I would definitely avoid those products from Plantations on the Newly felled forest. There should be 'orangutan friendly' palm oil like we have dolphin friendly tuna.

Anyhow I hope The One Show doesn't dominate 7pm on BBC1, I would far rather watch these one off nature weeks than Adrian Chiles !

Did anyone else think this was a good week. It certainly highlighted their plight, I hope the BBC go back in 12months and let us know what happened.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I was glued to this programme,and would love to work there. My fav orang utan was the one who had his head shaved,his name escapes me now.
    You're right,they should have told us which brands to avoid that obtain palm oil in this tragic way.
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote:
    I was glued to this programme,and would love to work there. My fav orang utan was the one who had his head shaved,his name escapes me now.You're right,they should have told us which brands to avoid that obtain palm oil in this tragic way.

Lomon ;)

they were all utterly adorable and I too think we should be "informed" as to what products to avoid and boycott so that these beautiful animals can live in their natural environment for my children and my children's children to see!!

It is the just the sheer greed of companies, ripping up what is THEIR HABITAT!! THEY WERE THERE FIRST!!! cashing in on a cheap cash crop - similar to the vile and nasty bright yellow oil seed rape that will be springing up everywhere, blighting our beautiful countryside with its hideous "perfume" and its offensive colour. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Farmers are digging up their fields to plant rape seeds in favour of their normal crops, as rape seed is the oil produced is a bog cheap alternative to sunflower oil. They can make a quick fortune out it, to meet the demands of the "fast food industry" that uses rape oil in food production like Mcburgers and Kwality Fikking Crap chicken ;)

I thought I was the only one watching this series over the past five days :o I have checked the orang sanctuary and I read that it will HAVE TO CLOSE AS THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF MONEY TO FUND THE CARE OF THE ORPHANS!!!!!

Going to make a donation to them, as this is something I truly believe in.......

Aside: isn't Steve Leonard lush??..... :o
    Forum Member
    Lomon,thats it,thank you :)
    I'm really sad to hear the orphanage might have to close. :mad: I'd be more than happy to make regular contributions because I feel so strongly about this.
    Totally agree,Steve is beautiful!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I too was enthralled and moved by these progs and have donated to the Borneo Foundation.

However, I missed the first two progs, and Friday's was interrupted by a phone call. I was recording Weds,Thurs and Fridays shows, sat down to watch them last night and my usually trustworthy DVD recorder had managed to record a blank screen - I don't even have audio:( :(

Is there anyone who recorded all or one of these progs who would be willing to make a copy for me on either Video or DVD? Or send me their recording and I will copy and return? I would of course send the cost of tape and postage and would be happy to add some extra £££s.

I know it's a long shot but I'm gutted to have missed out on so much of this mini-series.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out to Borneo for holiday a couple of years ago and visited one of the other rescue centres out there - up close the Orangs are even more adorable - on our last day we gave the rescue centre the last of our spending money as a donation - I also agree it would be a great idea to have orang friendly products
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    I too was enthralled and moved by these progs and have donated to the Borneo Foundation.

However, I missed the first two progs, and Friday's was interrupted by a phone call. I was recording Weds,Thurs and Fridays shows, sat down to watch them last night and my usually trustworthy DVD recorder had managed to record a blank screen - I don't even have audio:( :(

Is there anyone who recorded all or one of these progs who would be willing to make a copy for me on either Video or DVD? Or send me their recording and I will copy and return? I would of course send the cost of tape and postage and would be happy to add some extra £££s.

I know it's a long shot but I'm gutted to have missed out on so much of this mini-series.

unfortunately I deleted mine from my Sky+ :o:(:cry:

have you got Sky etc?? BBC have a "collaboration" with the Animal Planet channels and you might find that it will turn up on there :) - here's hoping

in the meantime:

linky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    unfortunately I deleted mine from my Sky+ :o:(:cry:

have you got Sky etc?? BBC have a "collaboration" with the Animal Planet channels and you might find that it will turn up on there :) - here's hoping

weedledeedle, I do have Sky but I contacted the BBC today and they said they have no plans to repeat or share the progs with Animal Planet :( I might try posting my plea on their forum though and I appreciate you hoping.

The problem we have with avoiding palm oil products is that they explained on one of the progs that palm oil is used in everything from shampoo to crisps but that it is generally labelled on the ingredients under the generic "vegetable oil". (Obviously, there is the range of soap etc that uses it, hence their brand name which begins with Palm*****!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

I find the plight of these animals so upsetting, it really sums up for me how devastating us humans are to the rest of the planet and how little we care as a species for all the wonderful things around us. If anything else was spreading and destroying as fast as we are we would kill it immediately and all be talking about how terrible it is what this 'thing ' is doing.

I can't watch wildlife programs any longer for fear of the familiar line about shrinking habitats and how many more years are left before they are gone. I do support charities though so please post the link to the sanctuary and I will make a donation.

I saw a program years ago with a familiar young lady, Michaela Straiken (Sorry I probably spelt that wrong) and she went into the jungle with guides and they found a baby orangutan tied to a tree where poachers had killed the mother for food and left the baby there. When they untied the baby it walked towards Michaela and climbed into her arms and it hurt me so much to see what we had done. The presenter was crying, it was so sad and still haunts me to this day. This was the first of many things that has killed that part of my soul and this was quite a few years ago now. I will never forget it.

Like every sane human I do not want to die but to be frank if 90pct of us were wiped out it would be the best thing to happen to the planet for a very long time.

I am not a raving anti capitalist as such, I work for a bank but I have come to the conclusion that there is no room in capitalism for a conscience and it's all about consuming more and more and faster until nothing is left.

God help us all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    ^ I know where you're coming from. I guess you were crossing your fingers for a Bird Flu pandemic :rolleyes:

The hardest programme I ever watched was a documentary on Animal Welfare on ITV that actually showed how a live cat was cooked in Asia. I still remember every moment. They have no idea how to prevent suffering - (ie they could kill the animal first). I would say that Animal Welfare counts for very little in Asia.

But I agree that Capitalism doesn't work for lots of things. As we mark the 200th anniversary of Slavery that was a system borne out of the same Economic Principles as the total destruction of these rainforests. I don't know what the answer is though. That's why I would personally boycott all those products, but if the palm oil is hidden as 'vegetable oil' we don't even have the option of making a consumer choice. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Even more depressing news. Thousands of rainforest hectares have been sold for 'a few bags of sugar' :cry: :mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/congo/story/0,,2054203,00.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Peculiar. I tried to tape the last two programmes too (using Videoplus) and got nothing. Anyone else out there tape them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've been trying to find products that contain no plam oil or use sustainable palm oil. I just love those fuzzy red guys and I don't want to contribute to their extinction. My little list is on my wiki Mozy2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this series. it was definitely eye opening.
    Forum Member

Looks like its repeated tonight BBC1 (signed) at 2:55am and all week
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for thread bump!

A new series started on Sunday. And there is a little bit of good news, but still sad stuff too :(

It's on the iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    LnMidna wrote: »
    Apologies for thread bump!

A new series started on Sunday. And there is a little bit of good news, but still sad stuff too :(

It's on the iPlayer.

Thank you:)