the macabre thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    Im really interested in victorian post mortem photography. There are a few with post mortem animals eg someones loved dog. Supposedly rosalia lombardos eyes have been opening and closing due to the heat in the room going up and down

A friend is putting together a book of Victorian post-mortem photography in the context of the Victorian nation's obsession with grief. Photos of dead relatives including babies and toddlers. I couldn't bring myself to look at some of those.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love history. I especially like macabre history.
    just now im reading about the donner party
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
    and the franklin expedition mummies
    https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/FRANKLIN-EXPEDITION-MUMMIES-Mummies-Bodies-Talk

am I a weirdo ;-) or does anyone else find morbid history interesting. Anyone know of amymore?

Thanks so much for this - fascinating reading. Had never heard of the Donner Party before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    thanks !
    Are any of your writings published ?
    I always wanted to be a writer. Books were my retreat from bullying growing up. Unfortunatley im not any good

Neither am I but I write for myself and that mean I write what I want to write and have whatever I want as characters (giant eagle showgirls????). Pick ypur favourite game and do a bit of fan fiction (I had an idea based on a cross over between the world of The Elder Scrolls and the real world in which demons from both worlds destroy the other world and the proverbial prophesised heroes have to stop them but the heroes from both worlds have to join forces).
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Back when Channel 4 was good, think it was the 90s, they made a really good documentary about the Donner Party, think it was called Death of a Wagon Train, or something like that. I remember it to this day. I was particularly struck by the poor stranded folk eating the 2 native Americans who kindly came to rescue them:o
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Neither am I but I write for myself and that mean I write what I want to write and have whatever I want as characters (giant eagle showgirls????). Pick ypur favourite game and do a bit of fan fiction (I had an idea based on a cross over between the world of The Elder Scrolls and the real world in which demons from both worlds destroy the other world and the proverbial prophesised heroes have to stop them but the heroes from both worlds have to join forces).

My fav game is bioshock but a great book has already been done on that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Back when Channel 4 was good, think it was the 90s, they made a really good documentary about the Donner Party, think it was called Death of a Wagon Train, or something like that. I remember it to this day. I was particularly struck by the poor stranded folk eating the 2 native Americans who kindly came to rescue them:o

I know :o a group of them went to try and get help. All but the two native americans resorted to cannabilism. When they ran out of meat from the folk that had died in the group they killed the two indians. The two indians had walked off initially on their own when they heard they were to be killed but were so weak with hunger they collapsed. The others from the group tracked them down and killed them.
    I am positive but dont quote me that in the book I read one of them was meant to have hung the body of a child on some sort of hook on the makeshift cabin wall. Ill have to see if I can find the book. Maybe im wrong
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this stuff, I've been to the Capuchin Catacombs and seen Rosalia Lombardo.

To be honest dead bodies fascinate me whatever the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this stuff, I've been to the Capuchin Catacombs and seen Rosalia Lombardo.

To be honest dead bodies fascinate me whatever the circumstances.

Lucky you. I wish I could go. I would also like to see the pompeii mummies
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like the perfect place for a family holiday...:o

Yeah I'd love to go there too. I want to visit all these places that crop up on lists of the creepiest locations in the world. The idea of an abandoned theme park is particularly enticing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know :o a group of them went to try and get help. All but the two native americans resorted to cannabilism. When they ran out of meat from the folk that had died in the group they killed the two indians. The two indians had walked off initially on their own when they heard they were to be killed but were so weak with hunger they collapsed. The others from the group tracked them down and killed them.
    I am positive but dont quote me that in the book I read one of them was meant to have hung the body of a child on some sort of hook on the makeshift cabin wall. Ill have to see if I can find the book. Maybe im wrong

For some reason it wont let me edit this
    Camt find anything about the hanging of a child on hook. I must be wrong or getting it mixed up with something else
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the perfect place for a family holiday...:o

Yeah I'd love to go there too. I want to visit all these places that crop up on lists of the creepiest locations in the world. The idea of an abandoned theme park is particularly enticing...
    Abandoned places always have some sort of pull. There is a site that posts pics of inside abandoned places eg old psychiatric hospitals, old houses etc
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love all this sort of stuff - and feel a bit guilty about the new series on Yesterday about 'The Inquisition' - as I enjoy it so much! :D
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you learn to be an undertaker ? there dont seem to be any college courses ......do you hang around funerals, walk up to the head honcho, and say "excuse me but I am strangely attracted to your profession ........." ?
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    how do you learn to be an undertaker ? there dont seem to be any college courses ......do you hang around funerals, walk up to the head honcho, and say "excuse me but I am strangely attracted to your profession ........." ?

Aren't they usually family businesses?

I'm quite partial to the dark side - horror films, books, attractions etc. I've never been exactly sure what 'macabre' means though, does it relate to a certain time period or style?
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    find a death, i have spent many hours on there i to am macabre to a point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've written some pretty disturbing stuff (made up) myself:-
    People have their brains torn out of their heads while still alive
    People having their innards churned up and sucked out through their large intestine which his then used as a noose to hang them with.
    People having their tongues pulled out, roasted then offered them to eat and then having boiling hot sulphuric acid poured down their throats.
    Rabbits thrown into pits of rottweillers to see which rabbit last the longest.
    sacks containing kittens suspended over boiling water and if the kittens mange to claw their way out...
    serpentine democin entities slithering up somebody's arse and bursting out of their mouth with their heart in the serpentine entity's mouth (Nightmare on Elm Street style)
    Demonic entities ripping their way out of people's stomachs...
    ]]People being used as ironing boards and having their balls broken with the same iron which is slammed against them..
    ]]]People made to eat eachother's ears...

^^^^^
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    (This lot actually happened in my own stories [sometimes, the good guys have to be total bastards to do the job] but can I be banned for mentioning the above?) and DOOM had nothing to do with any of it either.

]]/]]] THESE WERE THE GOOD GUYS DOING THE MENTIONED TORTURES
    AND I DIDN'T GET THE IDEAS FROM VIDEOS OR VIDEO GAMES OR BOOKS EITHER!
    Oh, yeah. I've still got a barbarian queen (who doesn't use a sledgehammer for home alterations either) to really piss right off...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Unfortunately my creativity won't get me any money and I'm hardly a professional writer myself but I did have something published in the college magazine once. I have a recurring team of state of the art armed and armoured warriors who use modern and traditional weapons and at the moment they're helping a queen out in a complicated situation (Basiclly, it's her having to sort out a mess started by her father messing about in his younger days in a daught being punished for the sins of ther father thing (torturing a cat which resulted in it running into the pacth of a horse who smashed the blided cat's head with it's hoof and the now demonic cat wants her for it, he messed about with a Necronomicon style book and now the resulting demon wants the queen's souls because a demonic hit man's claimed his soul, her father slept around in his younger days and unknowingly became the father to a demonic dragon's mortal avatar and the resulting off spring's challenged the queen for her throne and she HAS to face him but needs help from the team of warriors* {she's had their help before], the demonic dragon is also the twin of another demonic dragon from a previous story so the twin's out for vengeance, Then there's another demonic entity who wants revenge on the queen and team from a previous story and then there's the demonic assassin who stole the queen's royal mace and replaced it with a fake and he also wants revenge on the said team AND IT ALL HAPPENS ON THE YEAR BRAZIL HOLDS THE WORLD CUP AND THERE'S A CLASSIFIED OPERATION TO PREVENT A CATACLYSM FROM HAPPENING (but England's performance this year hardly makes it worth their while, like the team leader says 'England'd better win the world cup or at least get through to the final for this)'. It might seem lall complicated and a prophesy of doom coming true but the team have an ally in the form of a French phoenix (not DSGD's Phoenix Lazarus forumite) GODDESS!!!

*That's before the Top Gun, Iron Eagle, Wings of The Apache style stealth eagel/assault wyvern squadron

It might seem like a complicated Elder Scrolls style adventure but Basically in a nutshell, it's a daughter being punished for the sins of her father sort of thing in a DOOM style setting (in a labyrinth beneath a city somewhere in the Brazallian rainforest. I picked Brazil as the setting due to the World Cup but it seems as if the team and queen were wasting their time as England and Brazil got knocked out.

Sorry about the long and complicated post but Like one of my work colleagues (a media university student said to me once [and I agreed with him] 'you're not a professional'. Pros and youtubers with 10,000 subscribers use proper equipment or Apple Macs and what have I got? A sub four hundred quid AMD powered Direct X9 laptop, an obsolete Windows Mobile pocket PC a twenty five quid digital camera, a forty quid Huawei [how d'you pronounce that?} Ascend Y300 with a 3 megapixel camera, dual core processor with two gigabytes of on board memory, software which cost less than fifty quid and forty five quid USB M-audio KEYSTATION 32 keyboard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool website with lots of macbre stuff http://www.cultofweird.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not forgetting good ole Sir Tom Browne .......

http://pages.uoregon.edu/rbear/browne/hydriotaphia.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »

The British Institute of Funeral Directors (BIFD) offers an Introduction to Funeral Service course for people looking to gain an understanding of the industry and you can register with the National Association of Funeral Directors (NAFD) and take the Funeral Service Awareness Online Training.