Males 4+ - 3.56m (35.4%)
    Females 4+ - 3.23m (29.8%)
    Males 16+ - 3.04m (33.7%)
    Females 16+ - 2.80m (28.5%)

So much for it being a kids show.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see DS are not adding +1 ratings to their report yet again!
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    I see DS are not adding +1 ratings to their report yet again!

And they seem irrationally obsessed with Made in Chelsea. Third week running they've led on it.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    And they seem irrationally obsessed with Made in Chelsea. Third week running they've led on it.

It doesn't even rate well, CBB normally gets three times as many viewers.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what happens to their drama this autumn because their plum Monday slot has been hampered by New Tricks and the plum Sunday slot is only plum because they leave in the hands of ratings bankers Downton Abbey and I'm A Celebrity.

Wednesday (Scott & Bailey?) will be on against Our Zoo which will have a massive lead-in from Bake-Off (and looks like it could appeal to the Bake-Off audience).

Thursday dramas should have a decent lead-in from O'Grady and his dogs but could be on against The Apprentice (past its best but still tough competition,)

I thought I heard Lewis was getting Fridays. That would give him a Corrie lead-in and put him on against under-rating BBC1 comedies (HIGNFY performs steadily but not spectacularly).

We've seen how all of ITV's returning LE shows are down on last year. Now we watch what happens to their extensive range of Autumn dramas.

I would put Lewis on Thursdays, rather than Fridays. It sounds like the Friday 9pm slot will be the easiest slot to launch drama on ITV this year (aside from Sundays, but that will be blocked off by Downton Abbey soon enough). So I would give Chasing Shadows the Corrie lead in on Fridays, so it launches against BBC One's comedy offerings.

Lewis would still have Paul O Grady's lead in, but it would be able to face the tough competition a lot better, so if it does face The Apprentice it'll be a good match for it.

Scott and Bailey on Wednesdays sounds OK, it was there last year and held up reasonably well. Our Zoo sounds like tough competition though.

I would put Grantchester on Sundays before Downton begins, so it has the X Factor lead in. It'll give it the best possible chance and won't face New Tricks on Mondays. New Tricks launched with an underwhelming figure, but I still wouldn't risk it as both sound like similar programmes after the same audience profile.

I would put one off dramas and documentaries on Mondays, like Cilla and then The Great Fire. If these one offs face tough competition from the BBC, then it won't matter so much if ratings dip slightly as they are just one offs and aren't looking to be returning hits. Plus they would repeat very well again on ITV3 and ITV Encore.
    I really hope so, it's brilliant drama, just as last series was but this series does seem more accessible, shame the barb viewers don't agree but they rarely get anything right. The Crimson Field was good but this is so much better, and given what the writer is trying to do I think deserves to get another series wherever it has to go (summer or BBC Two.)

It sounds like a very ambitious project from the writer, which the BBC should encourage to be completed in its entirety. I think it should have a recommission. It's not like it's yet another detective drama getting low or underwhelming figures.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

I suspect MIC timeshifts very well. Certainly more popular than CBB for younger viewers. Why they've decided to put it on Sunday nights though I don't know. Stupid scheduling.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I think your right. I am struggling to come up with all these big names they have given us in the last few years anyway. I Googled the last chap and still have no idea who is though.

The "big names" are generally only comparative within the TV/light entertainment industry. Now of people expect the SCD producers to be able to book really big names like George Michael, Hugh Jackman, Gillian Anderson, Kate Beckinsale, Jude Law, Eric Clapton and JK Rowling, then they might be aiming rather too high.
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I suspect MIC timeshifts very well. Certainly more popular than CBB for younger viewers. Why they've decided to put it on Sunday nights though I don't know. Stupid scheduling.

It really is, the show was rating perfectly fine at 10pm on Mondays.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC rushing out a tribute programme for Lord Attenborough tonight at 10.30 on BBC1-not sure how long it is.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    In answer to your question - Yes. SamuelW. Who keeps referring to ITV's "weekly reach crisis".

It'll be interesting to see what happens to their drama this autumn because their plum Monday slot has been hampered by New Tricks and the plum Sunday slot is only plum because they leave in the hands of ratings bankers Downton Abbey and I'm A Celebrity.

Wednesday (Scott & Bailey?) will be on against Our Zoo which will have a massive lead-in from Bake-Off (and looks like it could appeal to the Bake-Off audience).

Thursday dramas should have a decent lead-in from O'Grady and his dogs but could be on against The Apprentice (past its best but still tough competition,)

I thought I heard Lewis was getting Fridays. That would give him a Corrie lead-in and put him on against under-rating BBC1 comedies (HIGNFY performs steadily but not spectacularly).

We've seen how all of ITV's returning LE shows are down on last year. Now we watch what happens to their extensive range of Autumn dramas.
    The Itv weekly reach crisis has resulted in all of their LE shows being down year on year. Now coming off the back of their 2nd worst summer ever [only 2012 was worse due to Olympics], the number of people into a routine of watching Itv is low. Their weekly reach has been in the mid 50s only! As a result, fewer people than usual would've seen the promos for their upcoming shows. And therefore, when they are, their ratings will most likely be down.

It wont help that the BBC have been aggressive with their scheduling this Autumn. Blocking up traditional strong Itv slots with big hitting returning shows. So basically Monday 9pm is a write off for Itv, as is Wednesday 8pm-10pm. If the Beeb can air something strong at Sunday 9pm, Itv's entire Autumn looks screwed up.

We all agree Chasing Shadows and Cilla are both going to be big flops. Sunday Night At The Palladium will be targeted by the Beeb and lose out to Countryfile. The Chase will get battered by Strictly. Keyhole will experience sophomore season ratings drop which Catchphrase and OTR have experienced. Granchester will be squeezed out by strong BBC One drama. Scott and Bailey will be dented by the GBBO boosted new drama hit of the season Our Zoo. Lewis will be down yoy moving from Mondays to another slot. XFactor will face 1.5m tougher competition on Saturday nights compared to last year. And O'Grady Love Of Dogs will be down yoy due to facing DIY SOS which is more popular.

Overall, this looks set to be Itvs worst or 2nd worst Autumn ever :).
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think younger viewers prefer these location based reality shows to CBB and BB, which they probably see as a bit last decade now. Of the people I know who watch CBB, they're all over 30.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The BBC rushing out a tribute programme for Lord Attenborough tonight at 10.30 on BBC1-not sure how long it is.

An hour - "David Attenborough: a Life in Film" (Source: BBC One schedule website)
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I dont agree that Chasing Shadows or infact any new show is going to be a flop as I have not seen them.
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I dont agree that Chasing Shadows or infact any new show is going to be a flop as I have not seen them.
    You dont have to see a show to know if it's going to flop or not. It's obvious that it will be a flop, a no brainer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think younger viewers prefer these location based reality shows to CBB and BB, which they probably see as a bit last decade now. Of the people I know who watch CBB, they're all over 30.

I think the main issue is that BB is too big a commitment for younger viewers. I know I'm not able to watch for an hour every night and don't have the time to catch-up. Shows like MIC and Towie are easier to commit to and are just as entertaining, even though they are engineered and somewhat scripted to provide drama.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    You dont have to see a show to know if it's going to flop or not. It's obvious that it will be a flop, a no brainer.

Can you tell me this week's lottery numbers please?
    Forum Member
    I think the main issue is that BB is too big a commitment for younger viewers. I know I'm not able to watch for an hour every night and don't have the time to catch-up. Shows like MIC and Towie are easier to commit to and are just as entertaining, even though they are engineered and somewhat scripted to provide drama.
    It is Official... The Only Way Is Essex is now more popular than Big Brother UK...

The most recent series of Big Brother UK (Series 15) had an official average of 1.58million including +1.

The most recent series of The Only Way Is Essex had an official average of 1.581million viewers including +1.

This is the first time ever a series of The Only Way has beaten Big Brother. If you look at the official ratings for the most recent regular series of Made In Chelsea, it had been consolidating to 1.2million so even MIC is getting there in terms of overtaking BBUK.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Just like it was obvious on your analysis that Tumble was going to be the next big entertainment hit?
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member

Unless you have a crystal ball or one of your many informants/sources has told you how can you judge if it'll flop? It hasn't even aired yet! Of course if this was on BBC 1 it would be praised to the hilt. Just saying.
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Unless you have a crystal ball or one of your many informants/sources has told you how can you judge if it'll flop? It hasn't even aired yet! Of course if this was on BBC 1 it would be praised to the hilt. Just saying.
    No, based on that trailer, I would've said the same thing about Chasing Shadows even if it had aired on BBC One. I am always fair in my assessment of dramas if I see they look dark or niche. I am not a genius but based on the promo and premise of Chasing Shadows, as well as the scheduling, I am almost certain that it will be a ratings flop.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think ITV's pathetic Summer attempt is going to be felt heavily during the Autumn? I'm feeling like its going to have a knock on effect even more so now that Corrie is also weak.

Programmes which could be 4.5m will be 1m lower.

Even BBC1 which had a good summer has had a couple of mediocre numbers for big returning shows last week so itv, who have had a shocker of a summer (August particularly bad), ought to be worried. There's more competition from the BBC this year in several key slots, every itv entertainment series has been down year on year and as usual X Factor is very much on its own trying to bring people back - it's even going to be dumped in the same shambolic Sunday night schedule they had last night. The emphasis falls very much on press coverage because promotion from itv is just trailers on itv which nobody (certainly not 16-34's) is watching. With the lower lead-in from Corrie, which seems to be heavily down year on year, the 9pm slots could take a hit (and then you've got the stronger competition on BBC1 as well).

On the plus side, they do at least have some shows for autumn, particularly in drama. Their problem earlier this year was a total lack of top tier content - it was all B List returners and some short run low priority new series.

It normally rates very well, and has been growing quite nicely pretty much since it began. Certainly on Mondays at 10pm it was routinely winning its slot (with comfort) in 16-34's. And aside from last night, the move to Sunday seemed to be playing OK. Quite an alarming holiday weekend collapse though.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge Rinder has just shown an advert for applicants for the show, so I think it's safe to say that it has been recommissioned (as expected).
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    Where is the evidence Made in Chelsea outrates CBB in 16-34s please?

I strongly suspect that is nonsense. Certainly MiC was left for dead last night.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    An hour - "David Attenborough: a Life in Film" (Source: BBC One schedule website)

Then they've got the wrong man - Richard has died:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Where is the evidence Made in Chelsea outrates CBB in 16-34s please?

I strongly suspect that is nonsense. Certainly MiC was left for dead last night.

I don't know who has claimed that for a start. I said younger viewers, primarily meaning in the 16-21 range. And I said it was more popular. I don't have any ratings to back that up but I haven't met anyone in my age range who watches BB, however shows like MIC and Towie are discussed regularly and watched by many. BB has been described negatively by everyone I've ever discussed it with in my age range.
This discussion has been closed.