Options

A bit upset (rant)

turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a very good natured lab cross who lives to play ball on the park. She's not much interested in other dogs and playing with them. Well, today she was just off the lead on the park and starting to crouch for a dump. Out of nowhere a larger black dog hurtled into her, startling her. She wasn't happy and barked at him and chased him away.

So his owner comes on the scene and tells me he'd break my f***ing dog's neck for having a go at his dog. I said his dog shouldn't have just run full pelt into my dog, but he said his dog just wanted to play, "as that's what dogs do". Well mine doesn't and what if she'd been an elderly dog?

The guy was very aggressive but clearly convinced he was in the right. I personally think his dog needs to learn some manners.

I feel a bit better now, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my pet peeves... the "Oh he's friendly!" brigade!

Not all dogs want to play with every other dog, dog owners need to understand that and train their animals suitably IMO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people have to be so rude, its disgusting to just shout and swear at someone when he could have just apologised or even just called his dog on.

Our dog was recently on the beach with a stick when another dog ran over, our dog chased him off but us and the other owners just accepted a bit of both sides and left it at that. No one felt the need to be vile.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My two little dogs can be a bit reactive to other dogs. Usually they are OK and always they are managed. I had them on the beach with my poor old Murphy dog. The little ones were on lead lying in the shade next to me sunbathing, Along came a huge Boxer dog bouncing about all through my stuff - the shaded shelter for the dogs, my beach towels, my bags, my elderly unwell Murphy with his bad back and my now very upset Chinese Cresteds who were having a fit. I was scared as I'm on my back trying to protect Murphy and stop the little ones getting to the boxer.>:(

I shouted to the Boxer owner to please recall his dog. turns out the dog has zero recall >:( Bloke had to come over to the dog - without a lead >:( and said 'it's OK, he's friendly' >:(

I said, well mine aren't, that's why they're on lead (they were actually on lead as in this circumstance they would have run away as fast as their little legs could carry them - they aren't quite stupid enough to take on a huge Boxer!!)

Owner was quite offended that he had to put completely unmannered dog on a lead. Every other dog on the beach was either on lead or utterly uninterested in other dogs, not sure why he thought his was a special case just because it was 'friendly' and 'only wants to play'.

Cock.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'cock' think that description says it all about these idiots who allow their dogs to be a danger and a nuisance. Two of my four don't like other dogs and like you we manage them (like that description! ) but I get sick of dogs flying straight at us and setting them off barking and getting that 'they're friendly' crap. Pet hate of mine, ruins a good few walks.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happened to me as well. Those idiots are arses who know nothing about dogs.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something similar happened to me at the local off-leash park. My dog was having a drink when some idiot's dog just ran up and tried to mount her :( But it was okay - it was just being friendly *rolls eyes*. The owner had no idea why his dog's behaviour was inappropriate, even though my bitch was shaking with fright (his dog was twice her size). I don't know what the answer is; if these people only had an ounce of common sense...
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the posts guys. I just don't know what you do about some dog owners, it's ignorance in the true sense of the word. >:(
  • Options
    DS-GuyDS-Guy Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    terrible i would call them numptys cause that what they are it's also happened to me a few years back out with my Nipper she a gentle soul and loves everyone including other dogs! and was the same when she was a puppy she would just run over and barge them but i soon nipped that in the bud! Any way she is now 9 years old and been taught over many years to respect other dogs well a about 3 years ago a staffordshire bull terrier pup come bounding over and bit my nipper on her ear my nipper backed of and snapped the air
    to warn the pup this is not aceptable behaviour when it's mother came over and laid in to my girl i was fuming and growled at the mother dog ( yes i took a risk but i didn't want a fight to break out!) and the mother dog got the message and ran off :) the owners
    were 2 late teenagers girls who were shocked I told them politely their dogs should have been on leads they then got quite defensive and had a go at me! my dog was simply enjoying a walk off leash and now will only go and say hello on my terms and after i have asked other dog owners if it's ok to go and say hello its the right thing to do :) Cheers!
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why people don't understand not all dogs enjoy being humped, knocked over or trodden on. Mine have learned to walk past others without reacting but the number of times I have had to pick tiniest one up or had to get between mine and another really makes me wonder why these people are allowed to own dogs. Makes training a nightmare too Elsie is a work in progress and having other dogs come and bowl her over or mob her is not helping her confidence or keeping her mind on the job at hand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a dog who has no interest in playing with other dogs when we are out, she simply wants to chase a ball or a stick. She never runs towards or approaches another dog but we have had no end of issues with other dog owners. We generally put her back on her lead when we see other dogs because she reluctantly lets them chase her in a circle about three times and then barks at them because she is afraid of and doesn't want the uninvited company. She is happy to be close to other dogs sitting at cafes and things like that as long as the owner has them under control and they don't approach her. Quite a few times, other owners have had a go at my other half because she has barked at their dogs which I feel is outrageous because it is always their dog that has bounded over and jumped all over her and chased her. Especially so, that we now ensure she is on a lead and sitting when another dog is around. We try to hold her attention and stop her reacting to the other dogs but some are pretty energetic and forceful so it's not always possible. I often call out to the owner not to let their dog approach but most of them still do and then take umbrage when our dog barks:( It feels as though we are expected to have a dog that will willingly play and engage and that we are in the wrong in these situations.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During a family meet up with siblings at my parents place, one of their cats likes to laze about in the front garden (hes getting on for 20, so hes entitled to it)
    When they first got the cat most of us were all living together there, so we're all quite fond of it. Part-feral but really well behaved, and a real "softy"... has a thing for feet!

I was outside having a ciggy (before I packed them in) and talking to my brother, a woman walks her dog past and it starts going bonkers when it sees the cat which until this point is just asleep stretched out in his favourite spot

Before either of us can react the dog has pushed the gate open, chased the gate down the garden path and actually gone into the property (the door was slightly ajar)

As most cats tend to, this one has a number of "safe places" around the house, so he was fine, and we eventually managed to get the dog out

But the cheeky cow had the cheek to tell us to "control your cat"

I don't advocate this but shes lucky we're not in America as it would probably had been shot, nevermind if there had been small children in the house... just dangerous