Options

Why can't famous people have happy long marriages ever?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie has married three times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Forsyth

First marriage to Penny lasted 20 years.

Second to Anthea six years.

He married Wilnelia in 1983 and they are still together :)

Donny Osmond married Debbie in 1978.

Richard and Judy married in 1986
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Famous people are just too spoiled and too busy to be able to maintain a family life and everything marriage is all about. As simple as that.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Famous people are just too spoiled and too busy to be able to maintain a family life and everything marriage is all about. As simple as that.

It depends on who the famous people are, some of us have already listed several couples who have maintained a successful marriage and a career. so it is not as simple as that.
  • Options
    ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brad Paisley (country singer) has been married to his wife Kimberly Williams-Paisley (actress) for 11 years. It may be less Hollywood, more Nashville but they are a well-known couple in the country world. It goes to show that not all famous marriages fail :)

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are at 18 years now.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not married but Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell have been together for 30 years
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because they don't have the intimacy to work, successful relationships need alone time for the two people to get to bond and have a connection.

Famous people have so much of their lives documented and everyone has an opinion on them, they can't make mistakes in private like all of us can and then learn and get over it, people are literally out to get dirt on them.

That would drive even single people mad...look at what happened to Kate Middleton, she had a really hard time dealing her life with how the press responded to her.

The ones that do work seem to really make an effort to cut that private part of themselves off from the World or are really good at dealing with people having all sorts of opinions on them.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    They aren't actually married. I still think it suits the thread though, as Wiki says they've been together for 30+ years.

Sorry - that was a typo! It was meant to say 32 years! I know they met at University and have been together ever since. :)
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    Sorry - that was a typo! It was meant to say 32 years! I know they met at University and have been together ever since. :)

I don't know much about him myself, not being his biggest fan, but I think that's something to admire.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Michael Palin? Married to Helen since 1966!
    Really. there of plenty of famous people who have long and happy marriages- and plenty of non- famous people who don't. If famous people are more likely to get divorced, it could be because they don't have the financial pressures that often stop people from splitting up. However, if their marriage is part of their "brand" that might mean they stay together for business/image reasons.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe one of the most good-looking actors ever, Paul Newman, was married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years all very scandal-free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a lot more long marriages in Hollywood than the tabloids would like you to believe. They only focus on select number of celebrities anyway.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Maybe one of the most good-looking actors ever, Paul Newman, was married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years all very scandal-free.

Apart from leaving his first wife for her.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gene Simmons was with his wife for 28 years before they married in 2011.

Patrick Swayze was married for about 33 years when he died.
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Jacobi & Richard Clifford have been together 37 years ( civil partners since 2006)

Elton John & David Furnish 21 years also now in a civil parnership
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David and Victoria Beckham?

They're both 90s superstars who are still A-List celebs after all these years. They've got 4 children and, other than the Rebecca Loos allegations, it seems like their marriage is still going strong.

Technically Brad and Angelina don't count but they've been together for a decade or so now. They'll last for sure!
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Apart from leaving his first wife for her.

Indeed!
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money. They are financially able to split and continue to live the life they have. Opportunity. Proven that the more attractive a couple is the more chance of them splitting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Kemp married Shirley in 1988 and I think they are as solid as it gets.

I know they only got married in 2005 but from what I've seen I think Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck seem to have a good marriage and hopefully will buck the trend of failed Hollywood marriages. They do seem to live quite a 'normal' life and don't parade their kids out for the paps like some I could mention. Time will tell!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Felicity Huffman and Bill Macy are my favourite Hollywood couple, I'd be really surprised to hear of them splitting.

This video of them presenting together at the Golden Globes is adorable: http://youtu.be/00a6NfVZLec