Options

Freesat from Sky v direct from Freesat

racey43racey43 Posts: 224
Forum Member
I'm considering replacing Sky with Freesat.
My options seem to be:
1. Freesat from Sky which costs £25 for a viewing card
2. A Humax box starting from £89 with no recording ( more expensive with hard drive for recording).
3. A TV with Freesat built in - I'm not sure if these record. I need to check.

I'd appreciate any advice or help in making the decision.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 You cannot record with a Sky box unless you have some sort of subscription. The £25.00 card adds a very small number of Free To View channels, it doesn't allow the box to record.

2 The single tuner Humax HB1000S freetime box is capable of recording, you just have to add a usb hard drive.

3 Many TV's will also record to a usb drive but they are very inflexible as you can only record what you are watching
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1 You cannot record with a Sky box unless you have some sort of subscription. The £25.00 card adds a very small number of Free To View channels, it doesn't allow the box to record.

2 The single tuner Humax HB1000S freetime box is capable of recording, you just have to add a usb hard drive.

3 Many TV's will also record to a usb drive but they are very inflexible as you can only record what you are watching
    A recordable box (Humax HDR 1000S) would seem to the way to go then.
    Thanks for your help :)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    A recordable box (Humax HDR 1000S) would seem to the way to go then.
    Thanks for your help :)

Yes that would make sense as it will give you basically the same facilities as your Sky+HD just with less channels, even though it will be more expensive than a non recording box that difference will soon be made up from the now missing Sky subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yes that would make sense as it will give you basically the same facilities as your Sky+HD just with less channels, even though it will be more expensive than a non recording box that difference will soon be made up from the now missing Sky subscription.
    I think the only thing I will miss on Sky are the sports channels.
    Will the 2 cables enabling recording and viewing at the same time be connected to the Sky box?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Will the 2 cables enabling recording and viewing at the same time be connected to the Sky box?

You won't need the Sky box, just unplug it and connect the cables to the Freesat box.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Humax Freesat box connects in exactly the same way as the Sky box using the same cables. If you want to watch the occasional event on Sky Sports then the £9.99 Now TV box may give you your fix.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....Will the 2 cables enabling recording and viewing at the same time be connected to the Sky box?
    Yes indeed - In many cases you can even record two channels and watch a third,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    victorslot wrote: »
    The Humax Freesat box connects in exactly the same way as the Sky box using the same cables. If you want to watch the occasional event on Sky Sports then the £9.99 Now TV box may give you your fix.
    It's seeming like a no-brained now. Almost all the programmes I watch are on Freesat and so is the functionality of Sky+ .
    I pay £74 a month at the moment. This includes multiroom. The second set is in the kitchen and hardly used. A £49 box will be fine for this.
    I already have Amazon Prime which has lots of online movies. Renting from iTunes is not too bad for occasional use.
    Apart from some sport, there's nothing much on Sky that I'll miss and the £179 for the box will be paid for in a couple of months.
    It's looking good:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Yes indeed - In many cases you can even record two channels and watch a third,
    Even better.
    Thanks for your help everybody. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    What extra channels you get for your £25 that are not on freesat?

Just weighing up the options myself as will be looking to cancel in a couple of months
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

If I recall correctly, Sky charge £10 a month for the privilege of recording your own TV programmes If you're not a Sky subscriber. It makes going over to Freesat a no-brainer.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Just weighing up the options myself as will be looking to cancel in a couple of months

Check this article out here http://recombu.com/digital/news/what-is-freesat-from-sky-free-satellite-tv-without-a-subscription_M11295.html although you don't get C5 HD any more. There are so few extra channels, it really isn't worth bothering with freesat from Sky. This is what you get with proper BBC/ITV Freesat though: http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels
  • Options
    Forum Member

My understanding is that you cannot record, or pause live TV, with Freesat from Sky. There is no "on demand" either. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 are available with the Freesat recordable boxes.
    The more I learn about Freesat, the more attractive it seems.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also play third party files video/music files through the freesat box and stream content from a DLNA server device.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your replies, roll on my cancellation notice date lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your replies, roll on my cancellation notice date lol
    +1.
    Apparently I've been with Sky for 13 years but now can't wait to change. It's like having a divorce. :p
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I moved from Sky to Freesat (Humax PVR) in March and haven't missed Sky yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I moved from Sky to Freesat (Humax PVR) in March and haven't missed Sky yet.

I'm missing the football and also ITV4-HD but the saving is worth that and some of the saving has gone into purchasing blu-ray and DVD box sets to make up for that.

I wonder if ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc realise how many viewers they lose by only being in HD on Sky for some of their channels.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You do not need to
    buy a FreesatFromSky (FSFS) card at £25 (at least until the next encryption change) as your cancelled subscription viewing card will act as a FSFS card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm considering replacing Sky with Freesat.
    My options seem to be:
    1. Freesat from Sky which costs £25 for a viewing card
    2. A Humax box starting from £89 with no recording ( more expensive with hard drive for recording).
    3. A TV with Freesat built in - I'm not sure if these record. I need to check.

I'd appreciate any advice or help in making the decision.

Not required see post above
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not required see post above
    I'm not sure what point you are making. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what point you are making. :confused:

If ypu are cancelling Sky you do NOT need to purchase the FSFS card
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    I wonder if ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 etc realise how many viewers they lose by only being in HD on Sky for some of their channels.
    Yeah buts it's going to be the same answer to what UKTV have stated regards to Dave, less viewers vs loss of pay tv revenue they get on top of the ad revenue.
    But do Freesat viewers really boycot those channels just because they're not HD? I know I certainly don't, I'm not going to miss a program I enjoy just because it's not in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Yeah buts it's going to be the same answer to what UKTV have stated regards to Dave, less viewers vs loss of pay tv revenue they get on top of the ad revenue.

Yes I realise why they do it, I was just wondering if they have the calculation correct.

Dave is a weird one as it's on Freeview but not freesat.
    But do Freesat viewers really boycot those channels just because they're not HD? I know I certainly don't, I'm not going to miss a program I enjoy just because it's not in HD.

I do. For example there is football on ITV4 tomorrow night, I would have watched this if it were in HD but I'm not wrecking my eyes watching football in SD. (Ironically I wouldn't have watched these matches if I had Sky and therefore ITV4HD as I'd have a football overload from the PL but would watch them freesat ITV4HD if that existed).

Also I haven't been watching the repeats of "The big bang theory" because of not E4HD. Another thing I would have started on E4 would have been "The 100" though I don't know if I'd have continued. I'll by the box set of "The walking dead" when it comes out rather than watch SD on freesat.

I'll watch SD for some things (e.g. Blake's 7 DVDs) but not something new that is available in HD.