Gem 106 'Back to the 80's'.

up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was listening to this pretty obviously voicetracked programme
this evening. At around 6.55 the presenter said and I quote '' In a moment I'm going to play you one of the biggest ballads of the decade'..A BALLAD I thought nice, maybe a nice slow love song like a Lionel Richie track or something...
So we get the news and then
Phil Collins and Philip Bailey ;Easy Lover
John Parr 'St Elmos Fire'
Haircut 100 'Love Plus One'
Jermaine Stewart 'We Don't Have To....'
Elton John 'Sad Songs'
Um,,,where is my BALLAD?? Me old mate.
The presenter might want to check the definition of ballad.And of course thats the problem you always have with an 80;s show being presented by someone who was born at the end of the decade in question.
So either we have a situation where automation has gone totally to pot or a presenter who really doesnt understand anything about music.
Either way to let this 'slip through' on a regional station is very poor indeed.and reflects not only on the presenter but also the programme management too. Extremely slapdash/:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you sure he didn't say next up was a "power ballad" instead of a ballad....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be, or if it was VT and at 6:55 then he probably mistakenly promoted ahead to a song that got dropped in that hour
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this evening. At around 6.55 the presenter said and I quote '' In a moment I'm going to play you one of the biggest ballads of the decade'..A BALLAD I thought nice, maybe a nice slow love song like a Lionel Richie track or something...
    Elton John 'Sad Songs'
    The presenter might want to check the definition of ballad.And of course thats the problem you always have with an 80;s show being presented by someone who was born at the end of the decade in question.
    So either we have a situation where automation has gone totally to pot or a presenter who really doesnt understand anything about music.
    Either way to let this 'slip through' on a regional station is very poor indeed.and reflects not only on the presenter but also the programme management too. Extremely slapdash/:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think Gem does news after 1pm on weekends. Did you tune away presuming news and therefore miss the ballad?
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I don't think Gem does news after 1pm on weekends. Did you tune away presuming news and therefore miss the ballad?

No.I did NOT tune away, I KNOW WHAT I HEARD:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be, or if it was VT and at 6:55 then he probably mistakenly promoted ahead to a song that got dropped in that hour

Well. it's pretty slapdash for a regional. don't you think?If they can't even be bothered to get the voice tracking right,then why bother with it at all.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Was it really necessary to post a thread about this? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you sure he didn't say next up was a "power ballad" instead of a ballad....

I KNOW WHAT I HEARD. why are you defending this radio station? I know what I heard.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it really necessary to post a thread about this? :rolleyes:

Yes. when a regional station sounds ludicrous. yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I KNOW WHAT I HEARD. why are you defending this radio station? I know what I heard.:mad:

But it kept you listening for another 20 minutes, another tick in the diary!!

Sounds like a slip of the tongue, thats all. He didn't swear or say anything he shouldn't have said.

If it's one link in a 3 or 4 hour show that you're picking on then it's nothing to moan about really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well. it's pretty slapdash for a regional. don't you think?If they can't even be bothered to get the voice tracking right,then why bother with it at all.:mad:

I agree but mistakes happen, nobody died. This was such a minor thing I bet only a couple of people even noticed and the other one didn't have a digital spy account.
  • jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calm down dear :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Howell wrote: »
    But it kept you listening for another 20 minutes, another tick in the diary!!

Sounds like a slip of the tongue, thats all. He didn't swear or say anything he shouldn't have said.

If it's one link in a 3 or 4 hour show that you're picking on then it's nothing to moan about really.

The diary is NOT the point I'm making here,and if its voice tracked, then a 'slip of the tongue' as you put it.is pretty poor.
    Would nt have taken long to check the links for goodness sake.No wonder standards are slipping all round in broadcasting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree but mistakes happen, nobody died. This was such a minor thing I bet only a couple of people even noticed and the other one didn't have a digital spy account.

Are you seriously telling me that if you were the programme controller here that if you had heard that you would have questioned why some out and out rockers were played when a ballad ie. slow and sentimental was promised?:rolleyes:
    And no I won't calm down. Dear.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Are you seriously telling me that if you were the programme controller here that if you had heard that you would have questioned why some out and out rockers were played when a ballad ie. slow and sentimental was promised?:rolleyes:

If I was the PD I would have looked at why the mistake happened and if it was an error with the playout system tried to make sure that it didn't happen again.

I wouldn't really lose any sleep over it and wouldn't be calling for the immediate removal of the presenter because at that time on a Sunday the audience even on a regional is quite low and I'm sure the radio station will recover from this unfortunate mistake:rolleyes:
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elton John 'Sad Songs'

Jeez, such anger over a slight mistake. Maybe he meant Elton John Sad Songs! The presenter of the show isn't the only one who gets confused over the term 'ballad', there are several albums on sale that have the term Ballad used on the title and feature songs like Manic Monday and We Built this City.

As others have said, no-one died, it was a minor mistake, they happen to the best of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh and if you want to get picky, none of the tracks you listed are out and out rockers! They were powerful pop at best, none of them were from the likes of Guns N Roses, Led Zepp, AC/DC or Black Sabbath - now that is out and out rock, just to be clear! Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    If I was the PD I would have looked at why the mistake happened and if it was an error with the playout system tried to make sure that it didn't happen again.

I wouldn't really lose any sleep over it and wouldn't be calling for the immediate removal of the presenter because at that time on a Sunday the audience even on a regional is quite low and I'm sure the radio station will recover from this unfortunate mistake:rolleyes:

SATURDAY evening actually.Five to seven,:rolleyes:I was not calling for the presenter's removal. just stating an observation.Your standards are obviously very low if you are not bothered with the content of a station early on a Saturday night. In fact there should be attnention to detail 24/7. Full stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Oh and if you want to get picky, none of the tracks you listed are out and out rockers! They were powerful pop at best, none of them were from the likes of Guns N Roses, Led Zepp, AC/DC or Black Sabbath - now that is out and out rock, just to be clear! Thanks

As far as general radio is concerned Easy Lover and St Elmos far are rockers.No point in bringing the artists you mention into the argument. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Elton John 'Sad Songs'

This is dreadful the presenter should be sacked ,the PD should resign ,OFCOM should informed . How on earth can this be allowed to happen.
    Forum Member
    Your standards are obviously very low if you are not bothered with the content of a station early on a Saturday night. In fact there should be attnention to detail 24/7. Full stop.

So PD's should never sleep and listen to 24 hours of their output. It was clearly a mistake and once you discover a mistake you put a system in place to stop it happening again. No need to over react.

If this is what you're like over 1 tiny off peak mistake I'd hate to think what would happen the minute a listener complains about something your breakfast presenter has said.

It really is 'just radio' and nobody died. Chill out.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.I did NOT tune away, I KNOW WHAT I HEARD:mad:

I just wondered because as I said Gem doesn't usually do news after 1pm on weekends. I hear that particular show every few weeks and have never heard an update at 7pm.

I thought maybe it was a change but no updates today when I tuned in at 2, 4 and 7 (the later two being programme junctions). Strange they should just introduce one on 7pm Saturday evening - it's not like they were any major stories either.
    Forum Member
    As far as general radio is concerned Easy Lover and St Elmos far are rockers.No point in bringing the artists you mention into the argument. Thanks.

I'm sorry but Easy Lover is NOT a rock tune, certainly not the Phil Collin version anyway.

St Elmos fire is debatable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    So PD's should never sleep and listen to 24 hours of their output. It was clearly a mistake and once you discover a mistake you put a system in place to stop it happening again. No need to over react.

If this is what you're like over 1 tiny off peak mistake I'd hate to think what would happen the minute a listener complains about something your breakfast presenter has said.

It really is 'just radio' and nobody died. Chill out.

Whoever puts on or records the voice tracking on the system is responsible for those links. I'm not suggesting the PD should be there checking 24/7/although of course., ultimately it is their responsibility,indeed for all output.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OK, as far as general radio goes, none of the tracks you mentioned are out and out rockers like Bon Jovi, Europe or Survivor.

And for you to turn round and say 'you can't use those as examples' kind of goes against the whole POINT of the thread. You are saying NONE of the songs you listed YOU think are ballads, and YOU think that they were out and out rockers. However, as I've pointed out, as far as I'M concerned they aren't rock songs. What YOU consider Rock, I consider POP. What someone else, ie, the presenter on Gem last night, considers Ballads you consider ROCK! Personal tastes are different, and the world is a better place for it.
    Forum Member
    Whoever puts on or records the voice tracking on the system is responsible for those links.

What if there was a ballad scheduled at the time of voice tracking but the playout system dropped the song or someone accidently deleted or changed the ID number of the song and so the computer jumped ahead.

I have no idea how Gem do things but the above things are possible and do happen from time to time. It's just life you deal with it and move on. Nothing is perfect 100 per cent of the time.

I do admire you however because if you can get so worked up about a small hardly noticable mistake on an off peak radio show then I assume the rest of your life is perfect so for that I salute you.