Nokia Lumia 520

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ordered one for a friend for £99 from Amazon. Wasn't expecting much as i was setting it up for him. But wow I am pleasantly surprised! Considering it's only got a 1ghz dual core with 512mb ram, it's really slick. The speed of which it opens apps and glides through the menus is remarkable. Seems windows phone os has been very well optimized and implemented. Feels somewhat slicker than an Iphone 4S, which I know is getting on a bit, but was a former flagship from Apple.

The app store, again, wasn't expecting much as people complain about the lack of apps, but i had a look at the top free category and there are loads. many of which are on IOS and Android.

Seems I have been guilty of underrating windows phone over the years but it has really come on. Those looking for a budget phone, I would pick this over a cheap Android with similar specs. This coming from a HTC One user, i'm very tempted to grab one to keep as a backup. A graded ones on ebay for about £70.

Comments

• coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got one a few weeks ago. It's a very good phone. Even the video recording quality looks good. I haven't used that feature yet, but seen it on reviews.

I was going to get an iPhone 4, but a sim free version is about £300 which is about 3 times the price of the Lumia 520. I don't see how the iPhone can be worth 3 times the cost.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep good choice, provided you don't mind a not so great camera and lack of front facing camera (not good for selfie junkies)

But top marks for the UI and usability and speed. Internet explorer seems to actually work as well. Never really liked it on a desktop pc but it's decent on the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you only update the phone by WiFi? When I turn the phone on it says there is an update and then says connect to WiFi.

When I goto Settings> Phone Updates it says "Downloading Updates" but it just stays at 0% and doesn't continue past that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    Can you only update the phone by WiFi? When I turn the phone on it says there is an update and then says connect to WiFi.

When I goto Settings> Phone Updates it says "Downloading Updates" but it just stays at 0% and doesn't continue past that.

I'm not sure, I left for work, but my brother called me and said there was an update. I told him to update it over wifi. Not sure if it did or not. I will ask him. He was taking it around to my friend's place to give him the phone. I will find out. Get back to you on that.
  • ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    It could be the new Lumia "Black" update from Nokia. I had mine on my 925 a few weeks ago. It is a sizeable download which could explain the wifi only. Details about Black can be found on Nokia UKs site. It adds quite a few new features.
    After several iPhones and an Android with an absolutely awful battery life, I have to say this Nokia is brilliant. Maybe a few apps light, such as Sky Go for example, but as has been said, the store isn't too bad plus it is improving weekly with the choice. Easily knocked by people, I used to, but I have to say try one, they're not that bad!
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phone OS and firmware updates should be done whilst on WiFi and plugged in to charger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Solid phone, perfect as a budget option or for those trying to get a contract on bad credit. I really like the Lumia devices, Windows phone OS is improving too so some of the newer models that will ship this year will be really popular I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironleg wrote: »
    It could be the new Lumia "Black" update from Nokia. I had mine on my 925 a few weeks ago. It is a sizeable download which could explain the wifi only. Details about Black can be found on Nokia UKs site. It adds quite a few new features.
    After several iPhones and an Android with an absolutely awful battery life, I have to say this Nokia is brilliant. Maybe a few apps light, such as Sky Go for example, but as has been said, the store isn't too bad plus it is improving weekly with the choice. Easily knocked by people, I used to, but I have to say try one, they're not that bad!

About the app thing I was actually quite impressed.a lot of the big name apps seems to be there with some other lesser known ones I have on Android there too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Phone OS and firmware updates should be done whilst on WiFi and plugged in to charger.

On Nokia's website it says "just download and install the update using your phone and an internet connection".

Does this mean that if you don't have an internet connection apart from the one in the phone then you can't update the phone?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    On Nokia's website it says "just download and install the update using your phone and an internet connection".

Does this mean that if you don't have an internet connection apart from the one in the phone then you can't update the phone?

No, you can get the update over Wi-Fi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    No, you can get the update over Wi-Fi

The fact it requires Wi-Fi to download the update means you need to have another internet connection apart the one in the phone though.
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My girlfriend has had this phone for 4 months and likes it. Only thing she does not like is the viewing angles on the screen when flat and it gets more fingerprints than usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a technical reason why Nokia only allows the phone to be updated via Wi-Fi? It seems ridiculous that this is the only way it can be updated.
    Forum Member
    Is there a technical reason why Nokia only allows the phone to be updated via Wi-Fi? It seems ridiculous that this is the only way it can be updated.

As I said above if it's the Black update, it's a sizeable file. Some people only have limited monthly data allowances, say 500mb or PAYG, this update possibly could eat that and more, leaving the owner with a sizeable bill from their provider which would lead to Nokia getting it in the neck so to speak! Hence, wifi only to ensure this doesn't happen, plus the phone can be plugged into the mains, which minimises any hardware problems. I think it's sensible of them to do this, annoying for some but sensible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironleg wrote: »
    As I said above if it's the Black update, it's a sizeable file. Some people only have limited monthly data allowances, say 500mb or PAYG, this update possibly could eat that and more, leaving the owner with a sizeable bill from their provider which would lead to Nokia getting it in the neck so to speak! Hence, wifi only to ensure this doesn't happen, plus the phone can be plugged into the mains, which minimises any hardware problems. I think it's sensible of them to do this, annoying for some but sensible.

It seems daft. It's people's responsibility to know how much data they are downloading. Plenty of people have mobile broadband on their PC with limited data allowance, but they don't have a ridiculous thing like this.

There should at least be an option somewhere on the phone that lets you select if you want to enable downloading for files above a certain size. Plus they could tell you onscreen how big the update download size is.
    Forum Member
    Maybe it is daft! But thats what a lot of the manufacturers do with major updates. This morning I had a game update on the 925 from Microsoft themselves and it would only let me do it via wifi, 345mb.
    I can only suggest visiting a friend or a place with free wifi if you don't have it and do it there. But make sure the battery is fully charged, just in case.
    I'm only trying to help!!