Ofcom controls threaten BT's power to buy Premier League football rights

coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i mean come on how long have sky been doing this for, but because BT wants more rights, i bet Sky went to ofcom about it,
if this is the case, i hope Ofcom tell them both they have to share the lot, one has 4 packages the other has 3..
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/19/bt-ofcom-proposes-restricting-wholesale-profits

Comments

• ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of them own football, the rights should be equally split.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThatJosh wrote: »
    Neither of them own football, the rights should be equally split.

i agree, but Sky have been pumping more money into it for years... now BT want to, ofcom could say no, hows that work???
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i mean come on how long have sky been doing this for, but because BT wants more rights, i bet Sky went to ofcom about it,
    if this is the case, i hope Ofcom tell them both they have to share the lot, one has 4 packages the other has 3..
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/19/bt-ofcom-proposes-restricting-wholesale-profits

But that's not very good competition. If I want to see all of a clubs games I'd have to buy both packages costing nearly £40 a month. Some fans can see all their games currently by just buying one package!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way the Premier League TV market is going disgusts me. It's spiralling out of control and I hope it all comes crashing down in a not too distant future.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine there were multiple supermarkets, but they all sold different products...

Tesco had the licence to sell milk, and no one else did.

Asda had the licence to sell bread, and no one else did.

And so on. So you had to go to all of these companies to get all your food items.

Competition? None, a complete rip-off in fact. It just looks like competition because there are multiple companies.

The whole concept of exclusivity in sports rights is crazy and anti-competitive. But Sky would cease to exist without it. So politicians keep it going.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    If it were up to me I'd make it so one of the packages had to be FTA. The chances of that are vanishingly slim though lol.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    If it were up to me I'd make it so one of the packages had to be FTA. The chances of that are vanishingly slim though lol.

yea, i would make one free to air, for bbc itv c4, c5 to bid for...
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Why didn't OFCOM intervene with thr awarding of thr CL rights anyway?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things were a lot simpler (and cheaper) when only one subscription was needed for all the major sports rights.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Splitting the rights was down to the EU not Ofcom.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea, i would make one free to air, for bbc itv c4, c5 to bid for...
    I'd put a small package of live games in with the FTA highlights. Highly unlikely to happen in the current climate however.

As for BT, I think they will increase their amount of live games only if the amount of live games available increases. Sky will likely do the same.

Before this news I'd have said BT were odds on to gain the lion's share of packages, now I suspect the status quo will be maintained.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »
    I'd put a small package of live games in with the FTA highlights. Highly unlikely to happen in the current climate however.

If there are 7 packages, I'd make one of them have to be FTA, and say that no one company (including FTA) can have more than three. That would most likely end up being 1 ITV, 3 Sky and 3 BT.
    Forum Member
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Splitting the rights was down to the EU not Ofcom.

Ok then - why didn't the EU intervene with the awarding of the CL rights?
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    BT doesn't need to win all the packages to win the bidding war. What will be key next time round will be who wins control of the first and second picks. BT could lose four to three on packages but still win the war.
  • cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Ok then - why didn't the EU intervene with the awarding of the CL rights?
    BT Sport will be showing some of the CL matches FTA. IIRC they committed to a minimum of one match per British team and the final being available free.
    Forum Member
    BT Sport will be showing some of the CL matches FTA. IIRC they committed to a minimum of one match per British team and the final being available free.

Wow, that might mean a massive six matches being available then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that might mean a massive six matches being available then.
    More or less the same as currently (there is always an English team in the latter stages).
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    But that's not very good competition. If I want to see all of a clubs games I'd have to buy both packages costing nearly £40 a month. Some fans can see all their games currently by just buying one package!

That's you perspective on the effect it has on you.
    Yet with my VM package I can get BT Sport included in the top pack and pay extra for Sky sports if I want to, but chose not to.

Sky tv customers only have to move their Broadband and then they also get it free and still keep their Sky tv package as is.

By both channels co-existing there is loads more accessible sport for everyone.
    Forum Member
    Why didn't OFCOM intervene with thr awarding of thr CL rights anyway?

Why would they? They bid for them and won, fair and square.
    Forum Member
    Things were a lot simpler (and cheaper) when only one subscription was needed for all the major sports rights.

How's that? Many sports lovers have been priced out of premium sports for years, but now they have a much cheaper option available to them, hence the success of BT Sport and BT's BB subscription numbers rising.

Sky have put up the prices year in, year out and now they are having to be competitive themselves. Because of BT Sport Sky customers are now entitled to two years free broadband for example.
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »

As for BT, I think they will increase their amount of live games only if the amount of live games available increases. Sky will likely do the same.

Before this news I'd have said BT were odds on to gain the lion's share of packages, now I suspect the status quo will be maintained.

I think you're right, but they may get better picks.
    Forum Member
    sigmundv wrote: »
    More or less the same as currently (there is always an English team in the latter stages).

Your maths is way off, ITV show six matches ALONE in the group stage and then nine after it, plus two from the final qualifying round = 17 matches.

The fact that British teams get to the latter stages is irrelevant, taking what BT have said at face value they could easily get away with showing (taking this year as an example)

- One each Arsenal and Celtic matches in the final qualifying round
    - One each of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea matches in the group phase.

And then nothing at all until the final

= 6 games.

And that assumes Celtic win in the second qualifying round, which I believe they have to play this year. So might even be as low as five!
    Why would they? They bid for them and won, fair and square.

You mean how Sky did for years and years with the PL before the EU intervened? I don't see why this is any different.
    Forum Member
    Your maths is way off, ITV show six matches ALONE in the group stage and then nine after it, plus two from the final qualifying round = 17 matches.

The fact that British teams get to the latter stages is irrelevant, taking what BT have said at face value they could easily get away with showing (taking this year as an example)

- One each Arsenal and Celtic matches in the final qualifying round
    - One each of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea matches in the group phase.

And then nothing at all until the final

= 6 games.

And that assumes Celtic win in the second qualifying round, which I believe they have to play this year. So might even be as low as five!

You mean how Sky did for years and years with the PL before the EU intervened? I don't see why this is any different.
    What's your point? The fact is the law is the law. Why would ofcom intervene and disallow BT to secure the CL rights when they won they fair and square. Past deals are irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    Well maybe it needs to be stipulated for future CL deals then.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    If there are 7 packages, I'd make one of them have to be FTA, and say that no one company (including FTA) can have more than three. That would most likely end up being 1 ITV, 3 Sky and 3 BT.

They could have a 6 game fta package included in the sunday highlights. Say a game from the opening weekend and 3rd pick from midweek, BH rounds. Not sure ITV be interested but would be a good fit for the BBC with the FA cup returning.