Stupid questions at a job interview.

Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
deleted

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    That was the interviewer giving you the opportunity to tell him good things about yourself! It doesn't seem like it was the question that was stupid!
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the very start of one interview they asked me if I was offered the job would I take it? Why else I would be at the interview if I wasn't actually wanting the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Attended a job interview this week. The interviewer asked,
    What are your achievements ?

I thought, I am applying for a minimum wage job in a call centre. I am not exactly a high achiever.

Have you ever been asked any dumb questions at a job interview ?
    No I haven't, but I'd love to know what your answer was. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    That is a standard interview question. I've been asked it at pretty much every interview I have ever attended, along with strengths and weaknesses, what I can bring to the role etc. etc.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attended a job interview this week. The interviewer asked,
    What are your achievements ?

I thought, I am applying for a minimum wage job in a call centre. I am not exactly a high achiever.

Have you ever been asked any dumb questions at a job interview ?

I was once asked if I could be any animal, what would I be?

Now THAT is a stupid interview question, yours was quite normal.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    You think that is a stupid question? He was asking you to make yourself sound good/Sell yourself

He wasn't the stupid one there
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    You think that is a stupid question? He was asking you to make yourself sound good/Sell yourself

He wasn't the stupid one there

Forget it. It was a stupid condescending question. Thread deleted because I have no wish to discuss this with judgmental old tossers.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Oooh ... you just beat me to it!

I've had that one on a couple of occasions. I was tempted to say "A grizzly bear ... because I bet you wouldn't ask a bear such a friggin' stupid question!"

Mind you, on the positive side, at least I then knew I was being interviewed by an idiot! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Forget it. It was a stupid condescending question. Thread deleted because I have no wish to discuss this with judgmental old tossers.

It wasn't a condescending question at all, it's a standard interview question most people get asked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    No I haven't, but I'd love to know what your answer was. :D

490G - Band Hero
    Collect all of the secret notes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate to be judgemental but you spelt that wrong.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    At the very start of one interview they asked me if I was offered the job would I take it? Why else I would be at the interview if I wasn't actually wanting the job.

Some people decline an offer if they also have another interview for a 'better' job coming up. Or they decide, having had a look at the employer, that they don't fancy working there after all. Therefore they ask to see if you are committed to them. You always say yes otherwise you're obviously going to be rejected.
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you didn't get the job and wanted support in your claim the interviewer was at fault not you
  • portislayportislay Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    strange to post a job interview and then delete it a few minutes later. Sounds like you never wanted jon in first place
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Some people decline an offer if they also have another interview for a 'better' job coming up. Or they decide, having had a look at the employer, that they don't fancy working there after all. Therefore they ask to see if you are committed to them. You always say yes otherwise you're obviously going to be rejected.
    I understand that but this was before any questions or anything had been asked, before any info had been given other than the job description and the invite the for interview was one where you had to ring if you were interested and still wanted the interview so it was just strange
  • bumbarbumbar Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Was that job for Pets At Home by any chance.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think asking you to discuss your experience and qualifications is the opposite of condescending. Its not their fault you have a massive chip on your shoulder.
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    I think asking you to discuss your experience and qualifications is the opposite of condescending. Its not their fault you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

More like a sack of potatoes judging by the huff that was taken
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bumbar wrote: »
    Was that job for Pets At Home by any chance.

lol, no! That would at least be animal related?

It was for a cold calling sales job.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?.....yawn^_^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?.....yawn^_^

In 10 years time, I'd expect to be the boss. :D:p
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why create a thread just to delete your own post?

most stupid question I had was when I was going for an internal promotion, He asked so and so on a night shift happened and you could not contact the engineer ( I work for the railway) what would you do, I said escalate to my tech support. he dldaid there not there I sad ok I'll phone on call support again he said there not there so went on and on until I got up and said you know we never work alone and always have tech support just tell me you don't want me ti have the job abd lets leave it at that. I didn't get that promotion.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the question?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only ever had one interview which I cant remember, for the one job I still have -but have shifted around a lot but in a way which never required interviews.
    Weirdest thing I read about was the people being interviewed by Currys who were made to dance as part of the process:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/06/alan-bacon-graduate-forced-to-dance-currys_n_3878104.html

Lord knows what I would have done.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Only ever had one interview which I cant remember, for the one job I still have -but have shifted around a lot but in a way which never required interviews.
    Weirdest thing I read about was the people being interviewed by Currys who were made to dance as part of the process:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/06/alan-bacon-graduate-forced-to-dance-currys_n_3878104.html

Lord knows what I would have done.

They probably did it to see which ones they could boss around and degrade as employees.