favourite baker

essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
Forum Member
Grouts for me especially their bacon and cheese turnover and eccles cake

Comments

• Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Kistrucks in Woodford, though I haven't been for years mind.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,959
    Forum Member
    Greggs.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Richard.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Richard.

Mine's Cheryl.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Hollywood - it's those eyes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Grouts for me especially their bacon and cheese turnover and eccles cake
    I haven't heard of Grouts so had google. Seems they are Essex based then I saw your name :)
    Our local baker isn't part of a chain, but he's good, if you come out of the station late at night sometimes the lights are always on, with some lovely smell wafting down the road.
    Everything always seems fresh, cakes can be made to order at very good prices.
    If I'm in London and had to go somewhere for a piece of cake or reasonably priced snack I would probably go to Patisserie Valerie.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SayheySayhey Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    gwienholt in Alderley edge
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greggs pasties or bakes or whatever they call them now have gone downhill big style in the last few years. Smaller, more expensive and less taste.
    Saying that their stottie cakes are still the best and are very good for toasting. Their thin slices brown loaves are still good too.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Greggs pasties or bakes or whatever they call them now have gone downhill big style in the last few years. Smaller, more expensive and less taste.
    Saying that their stottie cakes are still the best and are very good for toasting. Their thin slices brown loaves are still good too.

Definitely agree that Greggs (I still call them bakers oven) have reduced the size of their pastries and cakes but they are still the best at bread and rolls.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    Definitely agree that Greggs (I still call them bakers oven) have reduced the size of their pastries and cakes but they are still the best at bread and rolls.:)

Maybe 6 months ago, but now its all factory made and by the time it gets to your local store its at least a day old. They got rid of all there in store bakeries so the "freshly made in store" is one big fat lie.

My favourite baker is my other half
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studebaker.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Nairn. His bread rolls are sensational.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Poilâne London :)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be Burnleys in the Middleton Arndale Centre in Manchester, but sadly Greggs came and opened up next door to them, undercut them, and they closed. This was in the late 90's but I still remember their delicious pasties.

Fresh made on the premises every day, generously filled and served hot too.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be Burnleys in the Middleton Arndale Centre in Manchester, but sadly Greggs came and opened up next door to them, undercut them, and they closed. This was in the late 90's but I still remember their delicious pasties.

Fresh made on the premises every day, generously filled and served hot too.

I remember one oop North as well - The name escapes me but college lunchtimes back in the day consisted of one of their shredded beef and crushed potato pasties and a bakewell tart. Coincidentally they were only a few doors down from a shop that did the best burgers I ever had - Char-grilled and huge with a cheese and mushroom melted topping. Had burgers all over the world since then and NONE have even been half as good as that tiny northern burger/pizza shop. All closed and gone now....like tears in the rain ;)

It helps if you read the above paragraph imagining the theme tune to Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads playing at the same time! :D