Giff Gaff to change tariffs - Unlimited data to go?

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
Giff Gaff are currently running a consultation for their new goodybags that will launch in the second half of 2014. Giff Gaff have seen a lot of heavy data users on their network and these new tariffs are being introduced to combat congestion and slow speeds at peak times. Giff Gaff have already introduced various traffic management tools and services to block tethering on unlimited data, slow down speeds for heavy users and automatically kick people off the network for using "too much unlimited data".

These new tariffs will be for 3G only so it seems that 4G data may cost even extra than the prices listed below. Giff Gaff users can vote on 3 different pricing structures, two of which remove unlimited data from all tariffs. Option one will still include unlimited data but at £20 a month which is considerably higher than the £12 it used to cost.

Here are the options to see-
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/77717iCAD8D24894376837/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Unlimited data seems to be disappearing from all networks or at least being priced at a premium. Virgin no longer sell Unlimited data plans for new customers, Three have increased the prices on their SIM Only tariffs recently and even Lyca increased their unlimited 4G plan from £12 to £15.

Thoughts?

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Goodybag-Community-Consultation/td-p/14170579

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone offers plenty of minutes and texts it seems to be the data that separates the networks these days.

giffgaff need to remember though that with no call centres and no shops that people expect a cheaper deal, also those prices are talking about 3G only, which doesn't perform very well on giffgaff based on my testing.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Everyone offers plenty of minutes and texts it seems to be the data that separates the networks these days.

giffgaff need to remember though that with no call centres and no shops that people expect a cheaper deal, also those prices are talking about 3G only, which doesn't perform very well on giffgaff based on my testing.

What annoys me is how pretty much everyone on the Giff Gaff forum is acting like a paid shill and believe these new plans will miraculously stop all congestion and traffic management leading to 5G like speeds.

Simply put, that is not going to happen. Even if you do regulate how much data people are using like O2 do there is still going to plenty of congestion and low speeds due to various factors.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    giffgaff started out so well, but like all great providers, every update makes the tariffs worse and worse, until eventually, they cross the line of being the best and they're just another over-priced, poorly-run, poorly-rated company taking advantage of their loyal customers. At that point, another better MVNO would have come along... and so the cycle continues.

The only winners are customers who shop around for the best deals.
    The losers are customers loyal to brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I quite like the innovative idea of customers supporting other customers and helping the network grow. It's just a shame that the reliability and performance isn't what it needs to be, plus if your main selling point is no shops and call centres there's an expectation you'll offer better prices that the other MVNOs.

I can't see the USP any more, it's not price, it's not service, it's not performance.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks as if GiffGaff has just given up and conceded the data end of the market to Three. An utter shame to see a MNVO so highly regarded at one time sink to the depths of where they are prepared to head.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    It looks as if GiffGaff has just given up and conceded the data end of the market to Three. An utter shame to see a MNVO so highly regarded at one time sink to the depths of where they are prepared to head.

Not really an MVNO when they're fully owned by Telefonica-UK who own O2 which is the physical carrier. Its really just another brand for the O2 network, owned by the same owners but with customer care done in a unique way.

Sadly the O2 network isn't as good as it needs to be to fight the competition from Three, whose PAYG SIM deals are unbeatable and even include 4G !
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this another attempt to frighten folks from joining GiffGaff?

Looks like it..........

(Check and pay attention to the posting history of those making negative comments to establish their network support before believing the headline thread title).
    Forum Member
    They do that perfectly well enough themselves !

Nothing wrong with the Giffgaff concept, if it was on a slightly better physical network. Like *all* the physical networks in the UK, coverage *varies* and you should do your own research.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    They do that perfectly well enough themselves !

Really.... I use them and have had no issues with voice, texts or data.

What seems to annoy some is that they offer better deals than the network they are well known to support.

Bottom line is that if GiffGaff works for you then use it as it is a no commitment service. If they don't deliver what you need you can simply stop paying them without penalty and move to another provider.
    Forum Member

Looks like it..........

(Check and pay attention to the posting history of those making negative comments to establish their network support before believing the headline thread title).

You posted this last month with no evidence
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1973738&highlight=

I'm making a post this month with evidence and showing how other networks have been doing the same. Never said one is better than the other.

You're very hypocritical tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Looks like it..........

Not sure about frightening anyone, I was making the point about what their stand-out offer or selling point is if they go ahead with the price changes and do away with unlimited data. What would you say their compelling offering is should they go ahead with the changes?

the best price?
    the best performance?
    the best support?
    Forum Member

I realise we are in quite different parts of the country, but in my town, centre of the town or in housing estates, O2 and Vodafone signals are very poor, and Three / EE have them beat. This means GiffGaff and Tesco and Sainsburys virtual networks are also poor around here as they're O2/O2/Voda respectively.

I have an unlocked Moto G 4G handset (bought from Amazon so unbranded) and tried an O2 sim (as it was free) and I get 4 bars 2G outside, and 1 bar 2G inside. No 3G or 4G detected. Vodafone was similar until 4 weeks ago when 3G now gets 1 bar inside, until I try to use it, then 3 bars 2G.

As I said before, each person has to try their area with PAYG SIMs *before* signing any contract.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

Looks like it..........

You know, you can be quite tedious with your blind (but ignorant) defence of anything connected to O2.

Why don't you go to the Giffgaff forum and read it up for yourself, there is a thread (in the contribute" section) with over a 100 pages exactly about this, unlimited data is either going altogether or becoming a lot more expensive.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The data isn't really unlimited now though is it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »

No, if you use too much unlimited internet, they will ban you from buying the unlimited internet goodybag again.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »

No, hasn't been for a while. Anyone who uses slightly more than what they consider fair is banned from buying any future "unlimited" goodybags. Some people have reported getting the email for 10-15GB of use.

I still don't know how anyone can even clock up 10GB with the terrible speeds that have been experienced on Giffgaff over the last year or so, EDGE seems fast when compared to Giffgaff 3G most of the time...

I suppose Giffgaff must have reasonable service somewhere in the country for those users to "abuse the network" (Giffgaff speak) by trying to use their unlimited data goodybags in an unlimited way.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep hearing Glasgow is great for O2 coverage and data speeds. Maybe that's where the highest 'abuse' comes from?!
  • Gary_LevineGary_Levine Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I think Giff Gaff is a fantastic network. I don't purchase goodybags or use data on my phone so the changes make no difference to me whatsoever.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Giff Gaff is a fantastic network. I don't purchase goodybags or use data on my phone so the changes make no difference to me whatsoever.

For calls and texts, absolutely, O2's 2G is amazing, you can call and text almost everywhere in my experience.

What seems to annoy some is that they offer better deals than the network they are well known to support.

Bottom line is that if GiffGaff works for you then use it as it is a no commitment service. If they don't deliver what you need you can simply stop paying them without penalty and move to another provider.

I can't believe you've had no issues with voice, texts or data. I was with giffgaff for years and had issues with all of those things, because their whole network went down multiple times nationally. Of course there were those other times when just data stopped working, or just texts stopped working, nationally.

I stuck with it because it was cheap and I wasn't clued up on other networks. Just google GiffGaff outages if you want some proof.
    Forum Member
    Giff Gaff started off really well but they started to compromise on a lot of the promises they made such as not having tv adverts etc...

Obviously these decisions were made purely as business decisions. At the end of the day I do like the openness of Giff Gaff compared to other networks. At least they consult their users or let them know of any changes in advance. Sure they could be more open but they're all good for me.

Just a shame they've changed a lot over the last few years which has made them go from a great mvno to a fairly average mvno with the same offers as everything else. The only unique thing they have at the moment is their handset pricing and payment system. That's not even a network thing.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    For calls and texts, absolutely, O2's 2G is amazing, you can call and text almost everywhere in my experience.

I can't believe you've had no issues with voice, texts or data. I was with giffgaff for years and had issues with all of those things, because their whole network went down multiple times nationally. Of course there were those other times when just data stopped working, or just texts stopped working, nationally.

I stuck with it because it was cheap and I wasn't clued up on other networks. Just google GiffGaff outages if you want some proof.

It's very true that giffgaff have had innumerable problems, many of them were due to faults in giffgaff's systems rather than network signal issues.

I lost track of the number of times they posted to their blog apologising for the outage and explaining they were conducting a review to make sure that more reliable systems were introduced.

Add in the often patronising response from educators, the poor quality of response from agents and the essential uselessness of the community ( who are more interested in payback points than giving help) and eventually I gave up. It doesn't matter if the outage lasts a ten minutes or two days, its a problem if you need to use your handset then.

Just after it launched they blogged about the arrival of playstations in their cool offices. I thought then, that was the wrong message to give. To me it sounded like they were trying to manufacture a google like working atmosphere rather than concentrate on getting the basics right.

Personally, I think its time to admit they can't keep patching the software and changing tariffs to respond to the latest crisis and start again, relaunch, reboot
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would this be true for members of the forum who have a long history of posting negative comments about 3, justified in the bad old days when they were expensive and rubbish, but not so much these days?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I said a while back in a previous thread without their USP giffgaff will be gone very soon.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    Just after it launched they blogged about the arrival of playstations in their cool offices. I thought then, that was the wrong message to give. To me it sounded like they were trying to manufacture a google like working atmosphere rather than concentrate on getting the basics right

Don't forget the thing about being set up in a barn in the countryside so that they can appear to be different and can think about all those nice ways to make their customers happy.

Presumably that's until they get summoned to Slough to talk real business, to get told to swivel and "here's what you're doing and what you'll charge".
  • Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I keep paying my £15 pm will I keep the one plan forever?

Why are data allowances getting worse?