Cat bringing mice for the dog

Elle-SeeElle-See Posts: 33
Forum Member
My cat is 10 years old and my dog is nearly 3. Since moving to a semi rural area my cats been in his element with the poor wildlife. I'm constantly putting collars with bells on him which he often manages to get off and I seriously have a collection going on. I buy them whenever I go out, it's like most people think, must remember to get some milk on the way home, with me it's cat collars.

I know it's his nature but I'm a real animal lover so I do what I can to try and avoid it. I don't want him to get stuck by a collar so I know the design is for them to come off. The neighbours often give me collars back that he's taken off, it's getting daft.

My big problem is that he comes home with shrews and field mice which at first he was bringing to me. The last two months though he's been taking them to the dog. The dog then goes nuts, takes them off him and eats them. Trying to get to him beforehand isn't easy and he'll just swallow them whole if you go to take them off him.

I've never known dogs do this, has anyone got any ideas on the best way to deal with this?

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the obvious solution is to keep your cat contained somehow, either in the home or in an outside pen.
    Save the wildlife, protect the cat, no problem with dog etc.

But I doubt that will happen somehow... :(

You can get special collars that emit a beeping noise, but you may still have the same issue with it coming off.

It's unlikely to really harm the dog to eat it, though you need to be aware of parasites and that some rodents may have eaten poison.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats hunt best at dawn and twilight - have you tried keeping him in at these times?
  • Elle-SeeElle-See Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Containing him is an option I could certainly look at. I'm sure he'll feel its unfair but I could try it for a while, see how he goes. He tends to stay in a bit more by choice during the winter but it'll be our first winter here so it'll be interesting to see what he's like.

Been worming them both monthly hoping neither of them pick something up but that's not gonna help with poison etc so it's a worry. Other than that I need to invent something. I'm on a mission!

Thanks for replying Muze and Shrike.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    What's the problem? Cat gets to do its thing, Dog takes care of the deal animal and you save money on dog food!
  • Elle-SeeElle-See Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    :p Vast_Girth you little rascal.
  • yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or why not let nature takes it's course. The bird, mouse rat etc. etc. population are not going to become extinct just because of hunting by cats you know. Cats were born to be wild and the above mentioned were provided as food for them, among other things.