Dreams And The Spirit World

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone believe that when you dream it is some sort of connection to the spirit World?

I have a theory that when we die we could just fade off into 1 long dream..

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er........ NO.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Well before I was ill and before any signs or symptoms, I kept seeing (I would wake from being asleep) bugs crawling over me and on the walls, from about six months before my diagnoses about once a week.

From the day I was diagnosed this stopped and has never happened since.

But no I never had a dream telling me something was wrong or anything like that.

I have family members that have been temporally dead (so not really dead) and they say there was nothing, but as they were not dead dead I suppose they would not pass over, and I do believe there is another world after death.

I should add I have had experiences, But I don't think people can talk to the dead, or that the dead like to walk around and haunt people. I have only ever had premonition of things about to happen.

There is no evidence, its just a sense you get, but everyone must believe what they want, and not be pressured into anything.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Because there is absolutely no evidence for any such thing as a 'spirit world' - unless you count Sally Morgan and Derek Wankorah.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

Because there is absolutely no evidence for any such thing as a 'spirit world' - unless you count Sally Morgan and Derek Wankorah.

Have you seen Paranormal Witness mate? are all these people making it up?
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »

Mate you can't go by what is on a TV show, especially an American one.:D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone believe that when you dream it is some sort of connection to the spirit World?
    No
    Yes, of course they are.
    Forum Member
    No
    Yes, of course they are.

I can't see how you can say "of course they are", its likely that are, but not fact.

There might be logical explications for what has happened, it does not mean they are lying.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I can't see how you can say "of course they are", its likely that are, but not fact.

There might be logical explications for what has happened, it does not mean they are lying.

Cuckoo

Explications?
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    When I observe a dog or a cat or a mouse dreaming I'm certainly not thinking in terms of anything paranormal occurring...so I don't see any reason to when humans are involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like how people dismiss it so quickly when nobody knows what happens when we die.. why don't people want to believe (or atleast open to the possibility) there is something after we pass?
    Forum Member
    Cuckoo

Explications?

No, if it was caused by wind or something similar for example.
    Forum Member
    I like how people dismiss it so quickly when nobody knows what happens when we die.. why don't people want to believe (or atleast open to the possibility) there is something after we pass?

People these days want evidence.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People these days want evidence.

People want scientific evidence which isn't likely to ever happen. There is mounds of it out there but people's own experiences, anecdotal evidence accounts for nothing it seems
    Forum Member
    People want scientific evidence which isn't likely to ever happen. There is mounds of it out there but people's own experiences, anecdotal evidence accounts for nothing it seems

That is because people lie, science cannot.

I think there is life after death, but I would be questioning anyone who says they have seen something or experienced it.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite complex - and depends on what you mean by the spirit world.

For me, my dreams are definitely connected to my inner state (well, obviously...) - and my inner state could be called my spirit, I guess, so in that case, yes!
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is because people lie, science cannot.

I think there is life after death, but I would be questioning anyone who says they have seen something or experienced it.

That's a heck of a liars though.

I know what I've seen and experienced .... all of my life. I have no cause to lie. People can think what they like though. I've said previously - and vowed never to speak on this subject again on here :D - that I'd never be dismissive of something I have no personal experience of.

In answer to Fusions original question, I do believe there is some link to it through our dreams. It's a fascinating topic :)
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreams occur in the mind and that's it.

When you die, your brain will obviously no longer function, so no more dreams.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll believe when someone shows me evidence that an after life exists. Until then it will remain a purely spiritual belief issue in the same way people believe there is a god and some golden gates to heaven.

Dreams are our brains thinking & processing when we're unconscious. In the same way we can day dream.. that's our brains thinking & processing when we're still conscious. If they were a connection to the spirit world I sure hope i'd be having more interesting dreams than walking around a supermarket getting anxious that I can't find a particular item.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreams are not just imagination.

They are partly, because they are the mind's way to test out situations.

But they also problem solve and can be creative. There are famous dreams where scientists made breakthroughs this way (Kekule for example).

They also make some good jokes from time to time as they use images to spell out things they think you need to know. Once I dreamt of being caught in a flood and needed a ship for rescue and then escaped on a passing piano - which with amusement I realised (as the dream was semi lucid) was the best it could conjure up when I had needed a P and O ship instead.

Lucid dreams are extraordinary - where you know you are dreaming and seize control and the perception of the dreamscape suddenly becomes realer than real in a way hard to describe to anyone never experiencing it. A Matrix like environment that you can do anything in - fly, walk through walls etc as if the star of the best virtual reality movie ever.

Dreams also do have the ability to transcend time by including things a few hours or so ahead as if they can just peer out over the train carriage window a short way and see something down the track that you cannot see from within.

Given all of that then I think science only knows a fraction of what the dream state can do. So I would not scoff and presume that it is impossible that some people who may have trained their minds to access things most of us do not have what you might describe as 'psychic' experiences.

When in truth they are probably just human experiences that we haven't quite got figured out yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True.

It must be a miserable life for some people to live without hope for something after we die.. maybe people don't want another life - which is even sadder..

I just don't understand how people dismiss it out of hand and mock anyone who believes in it so aggressively..

There is evidence from so many people yet people want science.. there is so many involved mysteries out there for a reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dismiss it because there's not the slightest bit of evidence to suggest that there is something else after we die.

It would be nice if there was something, I don't deny that. ;-)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because the "Spirit World" does not exist.
    True.
    It must be a miserable life for some people to live without hope for something after we die.. maybe people don't want another life - which is even sadder..

I actually find the idea of an eternal afterlife rather unnerving.
    I don't really want to live forever.
    None of this makes me miserable. I'm actually more interested in why you think it would be miserable to accept that death is the end. If we didn't exist before we were born, why is it so hard to conceive that we return to that state after death? And why is that an unpleasant thought?

Regardless, what I find pleasing is irrelevant. If there's no evidence for something, then I have no reason to believe in that something.

There is evidence from so many people yet people want science.. there is so many involved mysteries out there for a reason.

I'll trust science any day over anecdotes. People make up all kinds of crap... or they could just be mistaken. There are numerous, more likely explanations than "they're right".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    I dismiss it because there's not the slightest bit of evidence to suggest that there is something else after we die.

It would be nice if there was something, I don't deny that. ;-)

In the same way there is no evidence there is nothing when we die.. so why not be a bit more open-minded?

There is many examples of people dreaming places or people they have never met or gone to yet.. with distinctive details it had to be real..

And children talking about past lives and all that stuff?

I just think there is too much evidence from people's accounts.. like the saying says there is no smoke without fire. I think it definitely requires people to be more open minded than dismiss something completely..

Science can't explain everything in the World, so why do people believe them in this!?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Science can't explain everything in the World.

That's only your opinion.
    Mine is that it can (though it certainly hasn't)
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They dismiss it because there's no evidence and to these people it's completely unthinkable that something could exist without us having any scrap of knowledge about it. They have human intelligence firmly on a pedestal.