Has PHOTOSHOP had it's day?

Comments

• Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Lightroom for editing photos, but only for tweaking and converting RAW files to jpg.

I hate composite images and the like.

If you can't afford to buy Photoshop, Adobe do a monthly fee for Photoshop and Lightroom combined for around £8-50.
  • AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people only used the word "Photoshopped" because Photoshop is the most well-known image altering software. I, myself, would admit that if I saw a comment saying that an image had been Gimped or whatever, I'd be a bit stumped at first as to what they meant.

You'e got to admit the name GIMP sounds a bit dodgy.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I use Lightroom for editing photos, but only for tweaking and converting RAW files to jpg.

I hate composite images and the like.

If you can't afford to buy Photoshop, Adobe do a monthly fee for Photoshop and Lightroom combined for around £8-50.

That's the only legitimate way to get Photoshop new these days, subscribe to Photoshop Creative Cloud. As you say, you get Photoshop CC and Lightroom for £8.57 a month, with a one month free trial. But for Paint Shop Pro users like me, there's quite a learning curve!

I only subscribed because there are a few things PS can do that PSP cannot, and a few things that PS does better than PSP. One or two things PSP does better though so I often cut and paste photos between the two!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone needs to make a cheap Photoshop with a app :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone needs to make a cheap Photoshop with a app :D

Adobe do already.. Its pretty cheap too... Free in fact
    It's called Photoshop express and is very good at mucking about with mobey snaps
    Forum Member
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I use the free version of Photo Serif's Photo Plus.

OI!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US WAS THE LITE VERSION???
    >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact that 'Photoshop' along with 'Google' has been genericized with photo editing and search is your answer really
    Forum Member
    The best thing about photo editing is that you can transfer your photos amongst different suites and you don't even have to be a pro either and if you're not editing for mates or family all hell can break loose and anything goes.:D:D:D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Anonimus wrote: »
    The best thing about photo editing is that you can transfer your photos amongst different suites and you don't even have to be a pro either and if you're not editing for mates or family all hell can break loose and anything goes.:D:D:D

a bit of digital doodling is very therapeutic i think and helpful if you`ve got a block and you do stumble upon little tricks and shortcuts.
    Forum Member
    a bit of digital doodling is very therapeutic i think and helpful if you`ve got a block and you do stumble upon little tricks and shortcuts.

You've not seen what I do to my photos.
    Forum Member

You've not seen what I do to my photos. Let me loose with photos and photo editing software and you're asking for trouble.
    Forum Member
    You've not seen what I do to my photos. Let me loose with photos and photo editing software and you're asking for trouble.

absorbing isn`t it :)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine uses Photoshop, there is nothing to touch it for what she needs as she is in graphic design. The main problem she have is that it have now gone subscription. I have got a older version of photoshop, but I am no where near as good as using it as my friend is.
    Forum Member
    absorbing isn`t it :)

There's an episode of The Twilight Zone in in:-
    Somebody comes across a website from which they can download free photo editing software but there're no details about the publisher anywhere. They download the software and start messing about with it and the world around them starts to resemble the edited photographs and people deleted from them vanish without trace. So they use it to get rid of people but just suppose a rival gets the same software....
    Forum Member
    There's an episode of The Twilight Zone in in:-
    Somebody comes across a website from which they can download free photo editing software but there're no details about the publisher anywhere. They download the software and start messing about with it and the world around them starts to resemble the edited photographs and people deleted from them vanish without trace. So they use it to get rid of people but just suppose a rival gets the same software....

:D

my most available and convenient photographic subjects are flowers i`d have raging hayfever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I loved Photoshop but ever since the introduction of their subscription pricing system and the release of CS6, which made it a lot harder to use, I can safely say I won't be using any version newer than the copy of CS5 I have on my desktop. With each release it seems to get less and less user friendly and more expensive. I'm hoping a new, better rival might pop up one day.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    No, it hasn't had its day because it is the standard image editing software by far in the design industry worldwide, and that isn't going to change any time soon. It is also part of the wider Adobe suite of software such as Illustrator and InDesign, which are also industry standard for their respective functions. Whether it has had its day for amateur 'shoping' is another, albeit, irrelevant story.

As for The Adobe CC subscription model, it has allowed Adobe to invest in other software and technologies that will benefit Adobes core client base - creative agencies and publishers. If Adobe lose Photoshop-only customers to cheaper rivals, I am sure they will be perfectly happy with that as that's how Adobe work in other areas of their business - they're only really interested in professional customers with resources, not the cheaper mass market.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using Photoshop since version 4 and currently use CS6 but I doubt if I will be upgrading since they have gone to a subscription model.

The biggest problem I have with CS6 is it doesn't support high dpi displays so on my 4K monitor all of the icons are about 3mm wide which makes it very difficult to use. Apparently they are trying to fix the issue with CC but I don't want to pay £45 a month just to fix a bug that they should have sorted out years ago.
    Forum Member
    I loved Photoshop but ever since the introduction of their subscription pricing system and the release of CS6, which made it a lot harder to use, I can safely say I won't be using any version newer than the copy of CS5 I have on my desktop. With each release it seems to get less and less user friendly and more expensive. I'm hoping a new, better rival might pop up one day.

You can download PS2 om Techspot (free, legally andey don't force bloatware or obscure searchbars and search engines that you can't get rid of unless you reboot your computer. I have PS2 o my tablet PC and laptop.
    The only way I'm going to get to use PSCSS12 is on the computers in the library (I only tried it to see what all the fuss was about and found that I'd much rather use Adobe Illustrator)

GIMP's supposed to be one of the best free alternatives but I strongly recommend
    Corel Paintshop Pro (I've got PSP 5 and six and was going to get PSP 7 but it was a choice of one out of three so I got the music software as it was the cheapest)
    Xara Photo and Graphic Designer series
    I've got Paintshop Pro but I want to try Corelpaint/draw to my creativity disk box
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 8, which is perfectly adequate for tweaking little imperfections in jpgs, but it won't handle RAW files. I could never see the point in messing around with RAW files, but then I found that Nikon's ViewNX2 is so easy to use that it is quicker and easier to perform the basic colour and tonal corrections than PSP.

Having said that, PSP's Clarify tool is a brilliant way to restore colour and brightness to scans of faded old prints. I also find PSP's cloning tool much easier to use than the one in Photoshop, but its cut-out tools are very primitive compared to those in Photoshop. At least I think they are. PSP has vast numbers of "hidden" tools that you need to dig out and move onto the menu bars.

One thing I really dislike about Photoshop is its browser, which is hugely inferior to PSP if you are working with a large number of images. The best of all for browsing and simple editing is the free FastStone Image Viewer and its companion, the FastStone Photo Re-sizer. www.faststone.org/
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 8, which is perfectly adequate for tweaking little imperfections in jpgs, but it won't handle RAW files. I could never see the point in messing around with RAW files, but then I found that Nikon's ViewNX2 is so easy to use that it is quicker and easier to perform the basic colour and tonal corrections than PSP.

Having said that, PSP's Clarify tool is a brilliant way to restore colour and brightness to scans of faded old prints. I also find PSP's cloning tool much easier to use than the one in Photoshop, but its cut-out tools are very primitive compared to those in Photoshop. At least I think they are. PSP has vast numbers of "hidden" tools that you need to dig out and move onto the menu bars.

One thing I really dislike about Photoshop is its browser, which is hugely inferior to PSP if you are working with a large number of images. The best of all for browsing and simple editing is the free FastStone Image Viewer and its companion, the FastStone Photo Re-sizer. www.faststone.org/

I'm not against PHOTOSHOP, I just don't seem to get on with it but I suppose getting some experience helps.

Whle we're on the subject of photo editing, does anybody here still use a dark room or what did you do with yours since the advent of SD cards and photo editing software?
    Forum Member
    i use zoner [full] mostly, it does what i need without hassle, sometimes i use paint.net for fiddling but that doesn`t do raw.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was speaking to a rep from adobe when they updated CoolEdit after they bought it, and we got chatting about photoshop. He reckons about 90% of the people using it are using a cracked version, so the market share is an odd one for them.

I don't think it will die out, its a top end product like Cubase etc, they tend to always be around. Plus its a good program if you are a professional, but if not their are better choices for your picture editing needs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as possible, I'm trying to avoid using editing software whilst I learn photography.

I want to be a good photographer, not just a good editor.
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have to upload a slideshow of what some of my photos're like before and after I've edited/added effects to them.