Options

Is it time to move away from living creature challenges ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that anyone truly values the life of an insect as equal to that of a human - let's tell the countries affected by malaria to stop spraying the poor mosquitoes - if a few hundred more people die meh at least the mosquitoes have been saved. And of course I'm assuming that if your home ever had an insect or vermin infestation you wouldn't call pest control you'd just let them enjoy your home as equals!

And I can't believe the total and utter arrogance of humans to think that they are always superior and above everything else.

Why are humans so pig ignorant and delusional?
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    I really don't see the point of complaining about this aspect of the show 14 series in.

I see what you're saying Rob, but I honestly believe the majority of people don't like it. I agree it's perceived as part of the show and most of the celebs and public expect it but from those I talk to in real life, and from posts on here, many people hate these tasks.

Having said all that, those complaining would no doubt be part of the outcry if they ditched it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    Insects are living creatures just as humans are. Why do you think you are more important than them? And don't just say 'because they're insects'.

It's the human arrogance factor: God will look exactly like us as well as all aliens from other planets. That if we are not one off superior creatures self elected in are delusional arrogance.

We have a right to protect ourselves from harm and so do all creatures. Just some don't think that. They don't want harmony they demand superiority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    What is the matter with people these days? They're so soft.
    The whole point of these trials is to scare the celebrities and they're only going to do it with animals that are thought of as quite scary.

"Only going to do that..."

That just shows a complete lack of imagination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really don't see the point of complaining about this aspect of the show 14 series in.

Yeah those women should have stopped complaining about the right to vote as it had been decided that they couldn't have it.

And those gays are always complaining about not being equal and expecting to be treated the same as straight people.

There is always someone complaining and trying to change things.

The very nerve of these people!

/sarcasm
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah those women should have stopped complaining about the right to vote as it had been decided that they couldn't have it.

And those gays are always complaining about not being equal and expecting to be treated the same as straight people.

There is always someone complaining and trying to change things.

The very nerve of these people!

/sarcasm

You're totally right. That's exactly the same thing.
    /sarcasm.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're insects FFS!!! I enjoy that element of the show.

They're not all insects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're totally right. That's exactly the same thing.
    /sarcasm.

It's exactly the same or else you think that the ONLY things that people should complain about are things that just you think they should.

More delusions of superiority: Attitudes towards animal cruelty have change, it's just that you have decided on everyone's behalf that it's not a complaining issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're not all insects.

Indeed! Some are rodents, some are reptiles, some are arachnids and some are just annoying human campmates!
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed! Some are rodents, some are reptiles, some are arachnids and some are just annoying human campmates!

Gino went to court over it:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8397691.stm

I was surprised that Gino was charged even though he killed and ate the rat due to hunger, yet the producers allow live deaths to occur without compunction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody remember that series which had somebody on it called Lord Brockett, and in his Ant and Dec interview on being voted out he did grabbed hold of a goldfish that was in a bowl on the table and quickly put it into his glass of champagne?

His train of thought must have been "What's the problem? It's only a fish".

It caused a bit of a panic with Ant and Dec at the time, but I can imagine that if it happened today it would have looked even worse.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody remember that series which had somebody on it called Lord Brockett, and in his Ant and Dec interview on being voted out he did grabbed hold of a goldfish that was in a bowl on the table and quickly put it into his glass of champagne?

His train of thought must have been "What's the problem? It's only a fish".

It caused a bit of a panic with Ant and Dec at the time, but I can imagine that if it happened today it would have looked even worse.

Thanks for reminding me about Lord Brockett.

He was hilarious when he was in a water tank and was joined by many creatures.:D

Wish that task could be repeated because the fallout here would be wonderful. :D
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I see what you're saying Rob, but I honestly believe the majority of people don't like it. I agree it's perceived as part of the show and most of the celebs and public expect it but from those I talk to in real life, and from posts on here, many people hate these tasks.

Having said all that, those complaining would no doubt be part of the outcry if they ditched it :D

I never watch the Bush Tucker Trials - the start of one is my cue to make a cup of hot chocolate - so I wouldn't "be part of the outcry if they ditched it" - on the contrary, I'd be pleased as I don't find the live creature stuff entertaining. I watch the programme for the camp mates, their conversations etc. I also like the Dingo Dollars Trials - apart from when they use insects like yesterday. I'm enjoying the Secret Agent thing, find it quite funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    What is the matter with people these days? They're so soft.
    The whole point of these trials is to scare the celebrities and they're only going to do it with animals that are thought of as quite scary.

You have a point. They should set up a task where they are given guns and have to shoot as many animals as they can to win food.
    But only as long as they kill the quite scary animals.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Gino went to court over it:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8397691.stm

I was surprised that Gino was charged even though he killed and ate the rat due to hunger, yet the producers allow live deaths to occur without compunction.

The sheer hypocrisy is astounding. They're given creatures to eat alive in a nauseating eating trial, which should have been binned after it's first airing, years ago. I didn't watch it all then and have never watched it since.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did you elect yourself to decide for them? What gives you the right to take other's rights away?

Do you like it when a poisonous/damgerous creature decides for you that you have no right to live and bites you? Surely if you have that right, then so do they and you have no right to complain about it.

Read my other posts, all will be explained.
  • Options
    Guapacha2007Guapacha2007 Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really concerned about the use of animals and insects, particularly in trials such as the cockroach shaker one, where the cockroaches could easily be killed or hurt. Insects might not be considered "cute" like other animals, and are not as intelligent, but they are capable of experiencing fear and pain. ITV breed 250,000 cockroaches a year to be used in this programme, that's 1 million every four years. If everyone who is concerned about this sends ITV a polite email expressing their views, maybe the programme will start to move away from living creature challenges, and start with some new ones that challenge the celebrities more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really concerned about the use of animals and insects, particularly in trials such as the cockroach shaker one, where the cockroaches could easily be killed or hurt. Insects might not be considered "cute" like other animals, and are not as intelligent, but they are capable of experiencing fear and pain. ITV breed 250,000 cockroaches a year to be used in this programme, that's 1 million every four years. If everyone who is concerned about this sends ITV a polite email expressing their views, maybe the programme will start to move away from living creature challenges, and start with some new ones that challenge the celebrities more.

What would you do if you had a cockroach infestation? :o
  • Options
    Hairy HaggisHairy Haggis Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more with this post !

I said the other night it's gone too far now with what they are doing in the trial with the animals & insects. It's got to be bordering on cruelty to animals/insects to some degree and I've acctually been disturbed watching it this series if I'm honest.

I couldn't belive that trial 'Cockroach Shaker' who on earth could possibly expect anyone to endure that whilst enclosing them in a plastic case in sweltering heat, spinning them around whilst adding in thousands of cockroaches ???
    I felt so sorry for Kendra, it was awful to watch and as much as I hate Beasties, that's cruel what they are doing to them.
  • Options
    Hairy HaggisHairy Haggis Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Also, I have to add the Dingo Dollar Challenge that Tinchy, Vicki & Michael did was bad too, not many insects were added but Michael especially was stamping on them all on the floor whilst he was stomping his feet down to get them off his shorts !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I have to add the Dingo Dollar Challenge that Tinchy, Vicki & Michael did was bad too, not many insects were added but Michael especially was stamping on them all on the floor whilst he was stomping his feet down to get them off his shorts !!!

Aww the poor wee things. :D

I'd defy you to not 'do a Michael' in a similar situation.:p
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of televisions next moments have come from this show so I say no
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you do if you had a cockroach infestation? :o

But the show is creating the infestations in the first place.
    They breed the insects for that sole purpose.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,685
    Forum Member
    It's the human arrogance factor: God will look exactly like us as well as all aliens from other planets. That if we are not one off superior creatures self elected in are delusional arrogance.

We have a right to protect ourselves from harm and so do all creatures. Just some don't think that. They don't want harmony they demand superiority.

No, we look exactly like him, for we are 'created in his image' - for those who believe in such things.