Child dresses as Christian Grey and gets excluded

Comments

• Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    I think the point is that without context (which 11 year olds aren't very likely to have) none of those things are bondage gear.

I think when he is running around the playground with his items the context would be spoken of all around the playground very quickly, so instead of playing tag, they will be talking about women getting tied up and blindfolded.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I found this quite funny - not that he was excluded, but the choice of costume. The mother does make a valid point regarding the acceptability of violence over sex too. Why is it OK for kids to portray themselves as killers, but not as someone who indulges in a bit of slap and tickle. What makes Christian Grey a worse choice than James Bond for a kid to dress as?
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the items don't have any other uses then?

Saigo wrote: »
    Stop being foolish.

The mother and child both say he was dressed as that character. Those items are used in the book and the film for bondage sex.

The child is 11.

I getting worried about how you view children to be honest. We can't condemn paedophiles and then dress kids up as kinky sex characters 'for a laugh'.

Yes very strange and flippant attitude to 11 year old going to school will S & m gear, I would be afraid if many adults felt like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I think when he is running around the playground with his items the context would be spoken of all around the playground very quickly, so instead of playing tag, they will be talking about women getting tied up and blindfolded.

If you read the story, it would appear the kids already knew who Christian Grey is, what 50 Shades of Grey is, etc. the kids thought it was funny, it's only the teachers who have had a sense of humour bypass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes very strange and flippant attitude to 11 year old going to school will S & m gear, I would be afraid if many adults felt like this.

Is it more acceptable to you for them to go to school with a gun?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Stop being foolish.

The mother and child both say he was dressed as that character. Those items are used in the book and the film for bondage sex.

The child is 11.

I getting worried about how you view children to be honest. We can't condemn paedophiles and then dress kids up as kinky sex characters 'for a laugh'.

Christ almighty
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I thought that the idea of World Book day fancy dress was for children to dress up as a character from THEIR favourite book - can't imagine that 50 Shades comes into that category for an 11 year old (well, let's hope not anyway!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    If nothing else, this story should highlight the success of such a depraved book with mainstream readers. It was impossible not to hear people talking about the book wherever you went, and now it's the film.

What does it say about Britain's women? That they all dream of being cable tied to a bed with a plug stuffed up their back passage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    If nothing else, this story should highlight the success of such a depraved book with mainstream readers. It was impossible not to hear people talking about the book wherever you went, and now it's the film.

What does it say about Britain's women? That they all dream of being cable tied to a bed with a plug stuffed up their back passage?

The only thing depraved about it is how badly written it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Anyone defending this has a very odd idea of what's acceptable for 11 year olds. Since when has erotica and bondage been fair game for kids. Cant' blame the child, just really bad parenting. If he had turned up at my daughter's school I would have been furious.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the items don't have any other uses then?

I haven't read the books, but I'm pretty sure he isn't using them to keep his hubcaps on.

The school were right to exclude him in this instance. A kid his age may well know scant details of the books or film, but anything more than that would be classed as disturbing to be honest, and there are much younger children at the school also.

I do agree with her that the teacher dressed as Dexter should not have done so, because he should be able to explain and discuss his costume with the kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    Is it more acceptable to you for them to go to school with a gun?

Or to dress up as a serial killer?

I would also like an answer to this as it has been ignored in all the "Christian Grey" outrage.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I thought that the idea of World Book day fancy dress was for children to dress up as a character from THEIR favourite book - can't imagine that 50 Shades comes into that category for an 11 year old (well, let's hope not anyway!)

Any male of the species who likes that book should surrender their man-card or in the case of an 11 YO boy have it rescinded before issue.

But given all the press attention its hardly surprising that everyones walking about it

Wonder if he'd of gone as a character from a horror novel with a few knives, a 12 bore and a shovel would it of been better?
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would also like an answer to this as it has been ignored in all the "Christian Grey" outrage.

Which serial killer was it? In relation to which book?
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean like James Bond?
    I have no problem with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The school were right to exclude him in this instance. A kid his age may well know scant details of the books or film, but anything more than that would be classed as disturbing to be honest, and there are much younger children at the school also.

From the sounds of it, the kid is 11, which would make him first year of senior school, so his year would be the youngest at the school.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skazza wrote: »
    Which serial killer was it? In relation to which book?

Dexter I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    You mean like James Bond?
    I have no problem with that.

Or Dexter?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »

Precisely!!

The mother-a teacher?-needs a talking to. What a stupid thing to do and inflict on her son. I'd have LOVED to have heard the conversation when she persuaded him that her choice of character was more appropriate than his. Sadly, this suspension on his record will follow him throughout his secondary education.

A good point, but this thread is about the grey, not the murderer.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I do agree that a kid dressing up with BDSM gear is weird. Yet its 'OK' for the teacher to dress up as Dexter - why? Because theyre adults?
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or Dexter?

I don't know who Dexter is.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me neither :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dexter is the hero character in a very popular series of novels and TV show who was a serial killer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely!!

The mother-a teacher?-needs a talking to. What a stupid thing to do and inflict on her son. I'd have LOVED to have heard the conversation when she persuaded him that her choice of character was more appropriate than his. Sadly, this suspension on his record will follow him throughout his secondary education.

inflict? How do you know he was not all for it? His schoolmates, according to the story found it vey amusing and knew exactly who he was. I don't suppose he took much persuading from the big grin on his face.
    A good point, but this thread is about the grey, not the murderer.

It's about the appropriatness of a costume on world book day. What makes a serial killer appropriate, and a S&M fan not? Why is dressing up as someone who kills people fine, but as someone who ties his partner up for sex, in a consensual situation, not OK?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Child dresses as the character from 50 Shades of Grey for book day and gets excluded from school photograph.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-31760713

Unless there's more to it, that school head really is pathetic. It's absolutely laughable if he was excluded from the photograph simply because he was dressed as a certain character from a film.