Options

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I was the poor soul who had to endure Titchmarsh on a plane. A truly awful man and I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy!

Simon Day (Tommy Cockles, Billy Bleach in the Fast Show), mentions him in his autobiography. He was on Live From Pebble Mill with Tichmarsh, who kept turning to the studio audience and saying 'I don't get it!' during his act. The Grade A prick.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never got how Titchmarsh got from Tv gardener to chat show host.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    Here is the link I promised to find for you on that Canadian site, featuring photos of John and Yoko meeting our late former Prime Minister, Pierre ElliotTrudeau, and (yours truly and my friend :p)

Year One

If you scroll down to Photo #7, you will see my friend and me with John and Yoko.
    I don't mind posting my old photos here as, trust me, I don't look anything now like I did back then.

Here's my friend and I with our 'name tags' added to it.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Had it not been for my friend's perseverance and outright stubbornness, I would never have met John and Yoko. She would not give up, and she hounded John Lennon's manager via telephone for days until she wore him down.

Thanks to my friend! :)

Thanks for that, Ann T. Terrific memories for you. I saw the Beatles twice at the height of their fame, and loved John, but I know now he was a much more complex and difficult character than we could have imagined. I was 14 or so when I saw them and had no idea at all about anyone taking drugs then.
  • Options
    Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    I met Joey Essex in Westfield last year. Most arrogant/ stuck up person I've ever come across. I spotted him with his mates and asked if I could take a photo with him and gave me the dirtiest look ever then very reluctantly said yes. I then took a photo with whilst his mates were sneering and hurling abuse at me for no reason (saying that the shirt I was wearing horrible ) (His mates are horrible too). After I thanked him and walked away, I heard him say to his mates ''what an idiot''!!!!!!! I suffer from autism so I'm not very good in some social situations therefore I was nervous! Very horrid person!

I've got nothing against and was a huge fan of him until I met him as he seemed like a really genuinely nice guy. He's got a Jekyll and Hyde character.

Shame more people don't realise this side to him and can't see beyond the pretty boy / 'I'm nice but dim' facade! He's certainly not the nice boy he portrays.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »
    I met Joey Essex in Westfield last year. Most arrogant/ stuck up person I've ever come across. I spotted him with his mates and asked if I could take a photo with him and gave me the dirtiest look ever then very reluctantly said yes. I then took a photo with whilst his mates were sneering and hurling abuse at me for no reason (saying that the shirt I was wearing horrible ) (His mates are horrible too). After I thanked him and walked away, I heard him say to his mates ''what an idiot''!!!!!!! I suffer from autism so I'm not very good in some social situations therefore I was nervous! Very horrid person!

I've got nothing against and was a huge fan of him until I met him as he seemed like a really genuinely nice guy. He's got a Jekyll and Hyde character.

Shame more people don't realise this side to him and can't see beyond the pretty boy / 'I'm nice but dim' facade! He's certainly not the nice boy he portrays.

He's a no mark who appears on a show that no one will remember in 20 years time. Most of these reality show z listers seem to be on people's not nice lists.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »

Doesn't surprise me at all, other people who have met him have said similar.

My friend met a few of the TOWIE cadt and ex-cast recently, Sam Faiers and Amy Childs are the friendliest apparently
  • Options
    Matthew_Thomas2Matthew_Thomas2 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I've met Tori Amos a few times and she's always been so caring about her fans, stopping to sign things, have photos taken, hug and listen to stories of her fans before her concerts. You can tell it's genuine because she does it before almost every show and is out there until every last fan has met her. Lovely woman.

I met Michael Jackson back in 2002 at a fan event. The only time in my life I've ever been truly starstruck. He was very friendly and let me have a photo taken with him and signed my CD. I didn't get the chance to say much to him because the other competition winners were these three annoying teenage girls who were screaming and crying and basically making it impossible for me to really say anything to him. He seemed quite concerned that they were taking over the meet n greet and asked me numerous times what my name was and if I wanted him to sign anything else, which I thought was pretty cool of him.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    What are peoples views on here about celebs signing autographs?
    I mean I guess its a nice thing to do but also I can see why some high profile stars decine since it must be annoying having to sign everytime you go out.

I had quite a few autographs from the Early '80's when I was a student in London - I went to a few opening nights and you could meet stars at the theatre stage door.

My view is that it is OK to ask for an autograph if they are "working" (arriving at a theatre - attending a premiere or something like that) but I would be very nervous about asking someone who was on holiday or something.

Warwick Davis and his family was on the same tour bus as my family at NASA in Florida, but we did not stare or ask for autographs as he was with his family.

I also worked near Granada Studios in the '90's and there is a Sainsburys nearby where all the Coronation St actors used to go after finishing filming - but again I never asked for autographs as they were wanting to get home after a long day so were probably quite grumpy
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Oh that so cool! A memories you can certainly treasure!

Oh, that is probably the most memorable time I had in my life, and I've done a lot of strange and weird things as I am an adventurous type of person.

I remember that me late sainted Dad had traveled to Europe that May in 1969, and sent us postcards. One read, "Wish Eva good luck with Lennon."

He knew before he left that my friend and I were trying to meet him...and shortly after my dad's postcard arrived, we did!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you just won the internet :D. Amazingly cool, and you got to dance with the lovely Donald Sutherland - officially extremely jealous

You must come to Montreal and Quebec for a vacation sometime, Agent Krycek. Donald Sutherland has a retreat in the Eastern Townships....we could hunt him down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, Ann T. Terrific memories for you. I saw the Beatles twice at the height of their fame, and loved John, but I know now he was a much more complex and difficult character than we could have imagined. I was 14 or so when I saw them and had no idea at all about anyone taking drugs then.

I saw The Beatles at the Montreal Forum when I was a kid, I think I was around nine years old. My mother had to take me...:blush:

My friend's mother took my friend to the concert as well, though they didn't have seats near ours.

I was in the nosebleed section of the old Montreal Forum, on the side closest to John Lennon. Believe it or not, there were a few empty seats a few rows down, and I dumped my mother. A kid my own age, a boy, and I sat together and watched the concert.

It really is true about the screaming, do you remember that? I've been to loads of concerts since my first one - The Beatles - and I have never heard the like. We could hardly hear The Beatles performing due to the screaming.

When RIngo Starr kicked up his drums and began to sing "Boys", everyone at the Forum went berserk, including the boy I was sitting with and me...it was incredible! It's a wonder I can still hear!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've met Tori Amos a few times and she's always been so caring about her fans, stopping to sign things, have photos taken, hug and listen to stories of her fans before her concerts. You can tell it's genuine because she does it before almost every show and is out there until every last fan has met her. Lovely woman.

I met Michael Jackson back in 2002 at a fan event. The only time in my life I've ever been truly starstruck. He was very friendly and let me have a photo taken with him and signed my CD. I didn't get the chance to say much to him because the other competition winners were these three annoying teenage girls who were screaming and crying and basically making it impossible for me to really say anything to him. He seemed quite concerned that they were taking over the meet n greet and asked me numerous times what my name was and if I wanted him to sign anything else, which I thought was pretty cool of him.

You met Michael Jackson?! Now I am officially jealous. I really am.

It's a shame that someone who might have been working Michael Jackson's security detail didn't remove those wailing hens who were being such pains.

Despite all the backlash and negativity that surrounded him, I truly believe that he was a musical genius, and he always struck me as being shrouded in a mysterious glow...

I still listen to "Thriller" a lot; it's a classic, isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I had quite a few autographs from the Early '80's when I was a student in London - I went to a few opening nights and you could meet stars at the theatre stage door.

My view is that it is OK to ask for an autograph if they are "working" (arriving at a theatre - attending a premiere or something like that) but I would be very nervous about asking someone who was on holiday or something.

Warwick Davis and his family was on the same tour bus as my family at NASA in Florida, but we did not stare or ask for autographs as he was with his family.

I also worked near Granada Studios in the '90's and there is a Sainsburys nearby where all the Coronation St actors used to go after finishing filming - but again I never asked for autographs as they were wanting to get home after a long day so were probably quite grumpy

Me late sainted mum was addicted to Corrie, and through her, I became addicted to the show as well. I watched it for years and years. I absolutely loved it. I haven't watched it for quite a while, though, as my innerweb addiction has taken over and I don't watch TV that much anymore.

I'd have loved to been near the Sainsburys where you saw some of the actors; I can't believe that they'd go shopping for food after filming. I googled Sainsbury's and it's a grocery store, isn't it? Are you pulling my leg? It isn't nice to tease old ladies! ;-)

When I worked, the last thing I thought about after finishing work was going shopping of any kind, let alone for food. I'd head home, or sometimes to a nearby watering hole for refreshments.

I should think that some of the actors would just stay at the Rover's and sup a few pints, but that's just me.

I love the expression "Chuck"! Sometimes I throw it in when I'm calling people "love", though our local francophones don't notice or don't know what it means. :)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone in Birmingham spot any BBC people in the Tesco by the Mailbox?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I would ever have met him, as I was 16 when he died, but the late Dennis Wilson( good lookiing drummer out of The Beach Boys, my favourite band) wa ssseemingly one cool character. For all he was off his head on drink in his later life, his tales of generosity are well known: like the time he paid for an entire restaurant bill one night, or where he gave a tramp $ 500, and how he was always delighted to meet his fans. Seemingly his more famous brother, Brian, is known as someone who always gives his fans the time of day and even in an addled state in the seventies, let a young guitarist into his mansion to jam with him.
    OTOH you get jerks like Joey Essex, whose fame will probably evaporate when TOWIE ends.
  • Options
    Matthew_Thomas2Matthew_Thomas2 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    You met Michael Jackson?! Now I am officially jealous. I really am.

It's a shame that someone who might have been working Michael Jackson's security detail didn't remove those wailing hens who were being such pains.

Despite all the backlash and negativity that surrounded him, I truly believe that he was a musical genius, and he always struck me as being shrouded in a mysterious glow...

I still listen to "Thriller" a lot; it's a classic, isn't it?

I'm a massive MJ fan. I agree, there was definitely something special about him, even compared to other famous people/celebs, he just had an aura, an intangible x-factor or something. Was amazing to have met him. I wasn't too bummed about the teenage girls, because I don't really know what I'd have said even if I'd had the opportunity. With someone like that, what can you say that he probably hasn't already heard a hundred times before, y'know? Was just great to meet my childhood hero and such a legend.
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

I used to work in that area as well. Queued in the checkout behind Sally, was in the next queue to Gail once, saw Alex Gilroy in there as well, shopping with his boyfriend. Also sat near Mike Baldwin at a restaurant on the Quays and got petrol at the same time as Alma at the garage on Regent Road.

Never spoke to any of them though as they were going about their everyday lives.
  • Options
    KankuretteKankurette Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I've not met him myself, but according to a guy I know through Everton fandom, Roberto Martinez, our manager, is really nice. He met him at a Ruleteros Society meeting. (There's another Everton in Chile and the Ruleteros are a group of fans of both teams.)

Don't know about any of the squad though. Tim Howard is a bit moody apparently.

ETA: I've just remembered my cousin was a mascot at one of the matches during the Moyes years, and she met him and some of the players. Can't remember which ones, but she did say David Weir was a miserable git.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad news about Keith Harris reminds me that an ex girlfriend was in a Panto with him sometime in the late 80's I think it was. She said he was one of the nicest, most generous and good humoured people she had ever worked with. She only had a small bit part in the Panto but he treated her and everyone with great respect.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Never got how Titchmarsh got from Tv gardener to chat show host.
    Especially as he was a crap gardener!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't get why celebs behave in the way Titchmarsh and others are said to be doing. They do a job, they go out to work and come home. Like a lot of people, some do long hours and give of their best. It doesn't mean they should be allowed access or privileges greater than anyone else standing in a queue or waiting their turn.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Not that I would ever have met him, as I was 16 when he died, but the late Dennis Wilson( good lookiing drummer out of The Beach Boys, my favourite band) wa ssseemingly one cool character. For all he was off his head on drink in his later life, his tales of generosity are well known: like the time he paid for an entire restaurant bill one night, or where he gave a tramp $ 500, and how he was always delighted to meet his fans. Seemingly his more famous brother, Brian, is known as someone who always gives his fans the time of day and even in an addled state in the seventies, let a young guitarist into his mansion to jam with him.

Over the years I've met all The Beach Boys, in situations ranging from meet & greets to entirely social, and one-on-one, they're nice people. Brian can be as funny as hell and is one of the sweetest people I've ever met.
  • Options
    TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    I used to work in that area as well. Queued in the checkout behind Sally, was in the next queue to Gail once, saw Alex Gilroy in there as well, shopping with his boyfriend. Also sat near Mike Baldwin at a restaurant on the Quays and got petrol at the same time as Alma at the garage on Regent Road.

Never spoke to any of them though as they were going about their everyday lives.

Many years ago (1988 to be exact) I was on a family holiday to Cyprus, on the way back our flight was delayed by about 6 or 7 hours and one of our fellow passengers was Roy Barraclough. He was very pleasant and happy to chat and sign autographs and pose for photographs even though he must have as exhausted and cheesed off as everyone else.

Another actor from a soap who impressed me as a kid was Bill Dean (Harry Cross). I must have been about 7 when I met him at a local fete and he was very funny and chatty. He spent ages talking to my mum about books they'd both read and was happy to talk to vereyone and sign things. Doreen Sloane was also there and she was also nice but a lot quieter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sheridan Smith always comes across as so genuine and lovely. She seems very modest in her interviews and never comes across as being arrogant, just very 'normal' and sweet to everyone, for example, whenever you see her interviews on chat shows she's always greeting the audience and involving them a lot.