How to extend ring main (sockets) to add extra socket

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Do you need 2 wires for a new double socket ?

Comments

• bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can just spur of an existing socket in the ring main with a single wire. It all depends what you are going to run off of it, the only thing id avoid putting on a spur is a tumble dryer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you use a junction box to spur off, or terminal blocks or wagos ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the socket is near the one you want to install. You can just go off the back of the existing socket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    With all due respect, the questions you are asking suggest you don't have a bleedin' clue and as such are likely to make a right old botched job of it - leave it to an electrician (like me) FFS!
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    With all due respect, the questions you are asking suggest you don't have a bleedin' clue ...

Too true.
    ... and as such are likely to make a right old botched job of it ...

Or something much worse.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, the questions you are asking suggest you don't have a bleedin' clue and as such are likely to make a right old botched job of it - leave it to an electrician (like me) FFS!

Now that is an excellent post and it will do well for people contemplating messing about with home electrics to read it.

Having a member of the family who is also an electrician and he gets called out to many homes where he has seen some horrendous amateur wiring jobs.

13 amp sockets with no earth, multiple spurs feeding all sorts of things. Non-armoured cable buried under a garden feeding a shed with a supply.

He had even seen a spur taken from a lighting circuit feeding a 13 amp socket with no earth wire supply. Unsuitable fluorescent tubes lights installed in bathrooms not complying with regulations and even 13amp sockets in bathrooms, not to mention electric heaters on a wall within reach of the bath. All amateur self-wiring that would make your hair curl.

Not to mention wiring terminated in sockets with bare wire showing because too much insulation had been removed and a multitude of 13 amp plugs with faults, wrong fuses and chewed cable at the cord grip. Usually the customer will admit it was his own work when questioned about who did the wiring or the wife will say it is "all her hubbies work, he understands these things I don't". Yes, obviously he does:rolleyes:

Most of these have been on call-outs because the mcbs and rcds have been cutting the supply. Thank God these safety devices exist without the electrocution would be far more common.
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no you cant use 2 wire

As others say your questions prove you are not a competent person for this task. I have a sneaking susspicion you will try any way.
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electricity can, and does kill. If you are asking for advice on how to do the job in a general advice newsgroup I'd suggest you should not be attempting this. Like LCDMAN I am a qualified practicing electrician and I see the results of people's attempts at DIY all the time. Not nice! I think calling in someone who can do the job competently will actually save you money.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard - the number you will need (or someone else if you electrocute yourself) - 999 Ask for Fire & Rescue or Ambulance as appropriate.
    Forum Member
    A DIY bodge from my "Black Museum"

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8435/jbfire1.jpg

Fortunately the smoke was spotted BEFORE the house burned down!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Do you need 2 wires for a new double socket ?

You only need to run a single 3-core cable to a double socket, if that's what you're asking.

When you run a new spur to a socket you should be using the flat twin & earth 25-amp cable so one cable can safely supply maximum amperage to a double socket.

As above though, if you have to ask you really shouldn't be considering it.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots and lots of reasons why you shouldn't be doing this.

Cannot think of one reason why you should.

I thought with the new 17th edition that even a home DIY job had to be signed off/notified?
    (Not a trician so not sure).
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick, Here is good guide to just what you may do for yourself under Part P of the Building Regulations, without notification/sign off. You may be surprised just how much you may do - outside of "special locations" (such as kitchens & bathrooms, mainly);

DIY Electrical Work and the "Law"
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just buy an extension lead with 4 sockets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick, Here is good guide to just what you may do for yourself under Part P of the Building Regulations, without notification/sign off. You may be surprised just how much you may do - outside of "special locations" (such as kitchens & bathrooms, mainly);

DIY Electrical Work and the "Law"

Cheers, bookmarked :)

So, correct me if I'm wrong but it roughly means repairing or replacing like for like existing installations such as light fixings, sockets control units, damaged (single spur, not ring) wiring etc.

Or if you do carry out DIY/unregulated work other than the above then it needs to be inspected via your council and signed off by them.

Wheras putting in a new spur as per petertard would need the calculations for the circuit to be checked first I think?

That about right LCD?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically you can add a spur without needing sign-off

So what does 'any new fixed cabling' mean ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    So basically you can add a spur without needing sign-off

So what does 'any new fixed cabling' mean ?

It means adding a spur... so no, you can't.
    My example was poorly written, I mean you can repair a damaged spur wiring, but not add a new spur. I meant to clarify that you cannot repair damaged ring wiring.

That's how I read it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much should an electrician charge for this type of job ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How long is a peice of string. Give us an Idea of how far you need to run the socket whereabouts is the nearest socket or the MCB/Fuse board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nearest socket is about 2 metres away from the intended new socket. The second nearest socket is about a further 3 metres away.
    Forum Member

Some real-life examples;

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/prices/electrician/add-item-new-socket.html

One socket £50-£65, less per socket if more sockets (e.g.~ £100-£120 for 3). Cutting out/chasing is the main pain/time of the job, actual wiring takes minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get an extension lead for about £2.50.:D

Why go to all the hassle of installing a new socket?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get an extension lead for about £2.50.:D

Why go to all the hassle of installing a new socket?

I would think it looks tidier and certainly safer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I would think it looks tidier and certainly safer.

You could clip the cable to the wall if you wanted and its no less safe.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A DIY bodge from my "Black Museum"

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8435/jbfire1.jpg

Fortunately the smoke was spotted BEFORE the house burned down!
    It's not clear from the charred remains what went wrong. Was this the result of a junction box with an insufficient current rating for the application, or overheating from a bad connection, or something else?