Why is Microsoft Office so expensive when so many need it?

Comments

• Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Agreed, although not with Pirate Bay cos they're sh*t. But many other "resources" on the internet to acquire it, all the op need do is Google. :cool:

*hoists Pirate flag*
    Isohunt? They're pretty good
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you know what you are doing then it doesn't have to cost at all...yarrrr
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nah I avoid torrents, especially after all that ACS Law crap, and viruses. Signed myself up to some ISO sites and now use JDownloader for all my booty. :D

Although I do not support piracy and not suggesting the op pirates these very generous £100+ Microsoft products. ;)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try here, http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx
    You can get the full package for under £40. It's a genuine site, i've used myself and has been recommended by others as well in the Computing section.
    I see that site says:
    2.No Student ID required for Microsoft Software*: As an Official Microsoft Partner, our offers extend beyond academic email address holders so that any family member or guardian can buy on behalf of a pupil or student.

*All licensees must be Qualified Education Users (i.e. students or their parents or guardians)
    http://www.software4students.co.uk/Software4Students__Am_I_Eligible-article.aspx

Now I'm neither a student nor the parent or guardian of one. Do Software4Students or Microsoft make any checks to see that the customer is (strictly speaking) an eligible purchaser, or is it just something they turn a blind eye to?
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although torrents aren't the way to go...
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I see that site says:

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Software4Students__Am_I_Eligible-article.aspx

Now I'm neither a student nor the parent or guardian of one. Do Software4Students or Microsoft make any checks to see that the customer is (strictly speaking) an eligible purchaser, or is it just something they turn a blind eye to?

I believe you need a .edu email address, these are only given to university students etc.

EDIT, oh I just read above.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    :confused: Erm, that's the basic concept of price set by supply and demand.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many people don't "need" it. They are led to believe they need it. We run a business with over 20 PCs running Libre and Open Office and communicate with companies all around the World with no problems at all.

:) Mark
  • sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Just get the trial, and google for an activation code
    Naughty naughty.
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    They are expensive because MS Office is excellent & it is overwhelmingly dominant so can charge what they like. But some groups can get it cheaper for example members of educational institutions or the NHS.
    No longer in the NHS, the home user licence scheme has been discontinued :cry:
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you consider how much use most businesses get from office it works out pretty cheap, especially considering all the apps you get with it

for home users there are free alternatives or you can use an older version for most things. if you really have to use the real thing then usually the price is worth it for what you are doing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is like the thread about theatre prices "why should I have to pay what they want to charge for something I want!??!". Entitled much?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I believe you need a .edu email address, these are only given to university students etc.

EDIT, oh I just read above.
    Yes, it seems from what's said on the Software4Students site that you don't need to have an academic email address. The Microsoft scheme seems pretty casual about checking the eligibility of purchasers (though maybe it's stricter than it appears), but the Adobe one seems much more rigorous:
    What do I have to do to prove I am eligible?

In order to receive a serial number, individuals must provide proof that they are an eligible user of Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software. The following is needed to provide evidence of eligibility:

Students - students must provide a photocopy of a valid, current student ID that includes the student's name, date, and a photo. If the student does not have such an ID, he or she must instead provide a photocopy of a valid photo ID and one of the following items:

Official, current non-photo student ID with name and date
    Official, current school transcript indicating name of school and student
    Official, current school tuition bill indicating name of school and student
    Official, current report card indicating name of school and student
    Other official dated proof of enrolment

Students who are younger than 18 and do not have a valid photo ID may provide an official letter from their eligible school stating their name and current enrolment status...
    http://www.software4students.co.uk/FAQ.aspx#q52
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    You think £70 is expensive? Ten years ago it was £350, more like. OpenOffice probably made most of the difference to that fall. Anyway, what these other bigmouths are telling you between the lines is that the more dependent the world is on the Microsoft version, the more it has to pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    You think £70 is expensive? Ten years ago it was £350, more like. OpenOffice probably made most of the difference to that fall. Anyway, what these other bigmouths are telling you between the lines is that the more dependent the world is on the Microsoft version, the more it has to pay.
    The full (i.e. Professional) version of Microsoft Office isn't £70 and is more like £300, though, unless you buy it from somewhere like Software4Students, in which case it's much less:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=microsoft+office+2010&sprefix=Microsoft+office

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just use Google Apps if you don't want to pay for Office.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

Just pick a school near you. They effectively don't care, 3% of orders are vetted and even then you can just resubmit your order I believe.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why bother with a ISO, OP already has the software, just needs an activator if they choose to go down that path.

OP - Check with your work, if you work for a large organisation that uses ms office then chances are they have a home purchase scheme. It cost me less then a tenner for office 2010 pro.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are cars so expensive when so many need one?

Some of the answers given here appear to be 'just steal one'.

Not acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid thing is there are plenty of free alternatives but idiot consumers "need" MS office. No wonder they can charge £70.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Stig..... DS isn't the place to discuss how to illegally obtain software.

It should also be noted that buying from Software for students is fine if you meet the licencing criteria... those that don't aren't any more legit than those choosing to go via torrents or suchlike.

Cue the " it's better to buy Office as a student than steal it" arguements!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Why bother with a ISO, OP already has the software, just needs an activator if they choose to go down that path.

OP - Check with your work, if you work for a large organisation that uses ms office then chances are they have a home purchase scheme. It cost me less then a tenner for office 2010 pro.

isohunt went a bit beyond their original remit, they just index all torrents they can find now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    esquilax wrote: »
    try OpenOffice.org instead. It's free.
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Another vote for openoffice :cool:

TeaCosy wrote: »
    LibreOffice is the way to go, and it's free.

www.libreoffice.org/

lol...How adorable. Next you'll be suggesting that Linux is an excellent replacement OS for desktop computing for average users.
    orange1234 wrote: »
    look here brand new full ms office 2003 business version with all the bells and whistles for. 19.99

ms office 2003 has everything you need. Probably more than you will ever need. 2007 didn't add much and 2010 even less. IMO the ribbon is awful.

openoffice is ok. you can save in .rtf to preserve formatting and all windows software's open that.

Er....You really don't know much about the underlying technologies, do you?
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    look here brand new full ms office 2003 business version with all the bells and whistles for. 19.99 ...
    Thats the starting price. It's up for auction.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,406
    Forum Member
    Stupid thing is there are plenty of free alternatives but idiot consumers "need" MS office. No wonder they can charge £70.
    I can kind of see where your coming from but its not quite as clear cut as that.

What some people "need" is robust support channels, training options and a guarantee that the files they create will look exactly the same when it reaches its recipient.
  • rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use the free libreoffice now it does what i need