Why is Microsoft Office so expensive when so many need it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    hibbleton wrote: »
    lol...How adorable. Next you'll be suggesting that Linux is an excellent replacement OS for desktop computing for average users.
    To be honest, it's entirely the opposite of what you're trying to suggest.

An "average user" of Office probably wouldn't notice the difference between LibreOffice Writer and MS Office Word, for example. The basic features are almost identical. Only the powerusers who are heavy into VBA, Excel formulae and perhaps collaborative editing would start noticing how different things were on that front.

For the average, general user looking to write college papers, letters and perhaps do some basic spreadsheet stuff, LibreOffice is a realistic, viable and above all free alternative. Average users don't "need" MS Office... Microsoft just tell them that they do. That's marketing, and it appears you've bought into it entirely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, it's entirely the opposite of what you're trying to suggest.

An "average user" of Office probably wouldn't notice the difference between LibreOffice Writer and MS Office Word, for example. The basic features are almost identical. Only the powerusers who are heavy into VBA, Excel formulae and perhaps collaborative editing would start noticing how different things were on that front.

For the average, general user looking to write college papers, letters and perhaps do some basic spreadsheet stuff, LibreOffice is a realistic, viable and above all free alternative. Average users don't "need" MS Office... Microsoft just tell them that they do. That's marketing, and it appears you've bought into it entirely.

I agree somewhat - Libreoffice is a substantial improvement over the crap Openoffice bogged the development down with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    LibreOffice is the way to go, and it's free.

www.libreoffice.org/

+1 for Libre Office. :)
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I really need MS Office and the trial will run out soon. It's around £70-£90 to buy the disc(s). It's so expensive, i'm not sure what to do.

Why is it so expensive!?

If you are a student, a teacher or the parent of a child at school, college or unversity, you can legitimately buy an educational version of Microsoft Office 2010 for £37.89. But please only if you qualify, or else this kind of useful service will stop. It's here
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I can kind of see where your coming from but its not quite as clear cut as that.

What some people "need" is robust support channels, training options and a guarantee that the files they create will look exactly the same when it reaches its recipient.

When did office documents ever look exactly same when it reaches it recipient? Printers wont touch office documents with a barge pole.

PDF or on your bike
  • davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    Just get the trial, and google for an activation code

Dito ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I can kind of see where your coming from but its not quite as clear cut as that.

What some people "need" is robust support channels, training options and a guarantee that the files they create will look exactly the same when it reaches its recipient.

Yup and the people who do need that will happily pay £70 for a license.

The people who don't need it should look around a bit more.
  • cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know what to do, i need it so badly but cant download it (illegal style) because of viruses
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know what to do, i need it so badly but cant download it (illegal style) because of viruses
    You haven't said whether you have tried Libre Office, it is an updated version of Open Office, a new version came out this month 3.4.2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That honestly made me laugh. Are you entirely serious?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you can download the actual copy of office for free its just the activating it thats the problem and how to defeat that is a pain and will fly over the heads of 99% of the population making it actually pretty secure
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    You haven't said whether you have tried Libre Office, it is an updated version of Open Office, a new version came out this month 3.4.2.
    And although the OP has had problems, file format conversion between MS Office and the OpenOffice variants is not that hard.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why don't you follow the good advise here and download libreoffice? It's free and legit.

You also need a lesson in supply and demand!
  • cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like libreoffice thanks
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To quote the great philosopher Michael Jagger

"You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes well you might find
    You get what you need"
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS Office is expensive because MS have thrown years of money and manpower at developing it. It's a large suite. If you can't afford it, get a previous version.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    look here brand new full ms office 2003 business version with all the bells and whistles for. 19.99

ms office 2003 has everything you need. Probably more than you will ever need. 2007 didn't add much and 2010 even less. IMO the ribbon is awful.

2003 won't read docx format which most documents are sent as post 2007.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2003 won't read docx format which most documents are sent as post 2007.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

yes it does
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Oh well good luck in your search. Like many things in life, often you have to compromise. But for me the best things in life are Free, so Libre Office is what we use across all our home computers, and it's been no compromise at all to us.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,406
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »
    When did office documents ever look exactly same when it reaches it recipient? Printers wont touch office documents with a barge pole.

PDF or on your bike
    Well yeah, I was thinking more of official letters and stuff. In my experience with OpenOffice it was quite common to have inconsistencies with the formatting or text, not something you would expect from a business or any kind of semi-professional outfit (be it small or large).
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They sell Student & Home version with 3 licences for an affordable price. And is £70 really that much for what it does anyway? Yes, there are ways to steal it, but maybe it's time to grow up and do things properly.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but MS Office is a bargain. If you needed it for education then use the discounts mentioned. If you dont, then either cough up the dosh or stop using it after the evaluation period :rolleyes:.

Its amazing software but you wont pay for it, well tough. :rolleyes: I really want a nice new car aswell but cant afford that either!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I recommend choosemyownpriceoffice®. It comes with free tea boy and a free portrait of your own bum on the photocopier.
    I don't like the coffee though, it tastes like stewed diesel. I think I'm going to have to negotiate a lower price...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some employees who are Microsoft certified may have a home use program set up. I got a legit copy of office for both my mac and my pc for £10 each, direct from Microsoft
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member