Digital Spy asking for £5 if you register using Yahoo, Google etc email?

Comments

• HAZYWOMANHAZYWOMAN Posts: 4,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I moved house I had not set up a new email address so tried to change my old email addy on here to my hotmail account.

they would not allow me to do it, unless i paid a fiver.

you cannot join with an isp account and then try to change it, to a hotmail one without paying the £5.00
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAZYWOMAN wrote: »
    When I moved house I had not set up a new email address so tried to change my old email addy on here to my hotmail account.

they would not allow me to do it, unless i paid a fiver.

you cannot join with an isp account and then try to change it, to a hotmail one without paying the £5.00

Eh, I changed from my work to a gmail one today.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't it used to be that unless you had an ISP addy you couldn't sign up at all? I am sure people told me they'd tried and couldn't because their email addy was hotmail etc.

And then they changed the rules and let people sign up but charged them a fiver to stop people trolling? Well, stop them trolling for free!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Den Anker wrote: »
    Didn't it used to be that unless you had an ISP addy you couldn't sign up at all? I am sure people told me they'd tried and couldn't because their email addy was hotmail etc.

And then they changed the rules and let people sign up but charged them a fiver to stop people trolling? Well, stop them trolling for free!
    That's right. See the post from Forum Support that I linked to earlier:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=25417390&postcount=14

As for changing from an ISP email to something like Googlemail on DS, I did it back in January or thereabouts without a charge. I'm back with an ISP one now, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get a free Email addy from AOL, DS dont charge you for using them....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mattyhope wrote: »
    DS dont charge you for using them....

They might now that you've let the cat out of the bag right under their noses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont care, Im already a member.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member

That would be unfair as one could argue that aol is technically an ISP, regardless if it gives out free e-mail addresses to non subscribers lol :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlueJoe101 wrote: »
    That would be unfair

It's unfair to disallow free use of non-ISP email addresses because of a few troublemakers, but there you go.
  • onthewoodonthewood Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfair to disallow free use of non-ISP email addresses because of a few troublemakers, but there you go.

Very true.

I've been with Virgin over two years and I didn't even realise I had an Email addy supplied by them until recently.:eek: I only found it when I was registering at their site for the upgrade to 10mb connection. The engineer who set me up and connected me to Virgin showed me nothing with regards to setting up the Internet side, he seemed more interested in showing me how the TV service worked. No worries though as I doubt I'll ever use the Virgin Email addy as it's some spurious unforgettable name that I would forget.

It's no big deal as I prefer using the web based Email providers anyway. I've found Googlemail the most reliable recently.

I do feel a little pissed off that I was charged a fiver for the privilige of joining up here, however I suppose it makes you value your membership here and makes you realise that getting a ban has cost you.:)
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I've never used my ISP's e-mail address either, and I don't even know what it is without looking it up. I do remember that when the account was opened I thought it was a little too similar to my broadband login username.

The same applied through 3 previous broadband accounts. Throughout I continued to use e-mail addys I had with Supanet dial-up from 6 years ago, only stopping when they recently closed all services for non-subscribers, after which I flit to GMX.

If you change your broadband ISP and have relied on their e-mail addresses you instantly lose them all and then have to update countless accounts, webspace and people, which after a number of years online might be a considerable task.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    But I suspect you didn't pay to join DS.

I wonder who has? Anyone prepared to say they have?

Im prepared to say I have, I have a hotmail account and paid £5 through Paypal. Im quite happy to pay this for the laughs I get from some of the forums. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually the same, but I just feel really miserable and down tonight.:mad::(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I didn't but would happily pay the £5 if it's the only way of getting onto DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Theres not much wrong with having to pay £5, its not expensive. There is loads of information on this site. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a little narked at the time as I thought it was very unusual to have to pay a fee for registering at a message board.

However, this place seems to offer a greater variety than the standard board.
  • visitorvisitor Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Not everyone- we weren't able to ever get ours to work properly, so we've never used them.

^^^^What James said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one thing i have wondered is on here if anyone signs up with a non-isp email and pay £5 and then get banned for life, do they recieve the £5 back?
  • MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

If you want to send me a % of the £5 you have saved PM me.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinJ wrote: »

Of course, the next stage is likely to be that someone will use that service to register and then, should they get a temporary ban, they'll complain bitterly that DS NEVER TOLD THEM WHY!
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    I used my student account so I didn't have to pay.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used a hotmail account so paid the £5. It's worth it though!
  • MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Of course, the next stage is likely to be that someone will use that service to register and then, should they get a temporary ban, they'll complain bitterly that DS NEVER TOLD THEM WHY!

Not if they change their email to their normal address after they have signed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ISp BE Unlimited has no free email
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,738
    Administrator
    MartinJ wrote: »

We refuse registration to accounts with 'disposable' email addresses once they reach the user moderation queue. The rule is in place to protect our community and we are well aware of the 'ways to get around it'.