Options

Are Chelsea Officially London's "Biggest" Club Now??

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen the video of the biggest club in Londons fans rioting in amsterdam today ? Disgracefull.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, that's how I see things currently. But football is now a global game, and Liverpool will need to act quickly in order not to lose a generation of fans world-wide. Arsenal were once (between the wars) probably the most well known football club in the world. But that was in the days of the old Empire, they never really captured the emerging markets in Asia and Africa. I think we have stolen a march on them there.

In London they probably remain the biggest club in terms of their loyal local fanbase, they had a long stretch of successful years that remain in living memory. But that could change quickly unless they start winning things, particularly if Chelsea can build a new stadium in a prime location. The days of support passing down from father to son, through the generations, is less important now. All clubs have to become Man United's to survive at the top, and sell themselves everywhere. Sad perhaps, but that's the way it is.
    Liverpool are acting to keep their Worldwide fan base, this Summer they'll be travelling to South Africa, The Far East and Australia.
    I don't think Chelsea are as popular as Arsenal in the UK, I quite often see people wearing Arsenal shirts, but not so many wearing Chelsea shirts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsp263004 wrote: »
    Anyone seen the video of the biggest club in Londons fans rioting in amsterdam today ? Disgracefull.
    Chelsea fans had a reputation for that sort of thing in the eighties, why can't they just be happy that their team has won a trophy and celebrate joyfully instead of causing destruction
    I know it's only a minority and I apologise to Chelsea's real supporters.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Liverpool are acting to keep their Worldwide fan base, this Summer they'll be travelling to South Africa, The Far East and Australia.
    I don't think Chelsea are as popular as Arsenal in the UK, I quite often see people wearing Arsenal shirts, but not so many wearing Chelsea shirts.

Strange, I was just going to say the opposite. In London, apart from in their North London stronghold, I think you see more Chelsea replica shirts. Spurs certainly trail the other two in that respect, but perhaps their supporters don't like replica shirts..I don't, not as leisurewear anyway. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange, I was just going to say the opposite. In London, apart from in their North London stronghold, I think you see more Chelsea replica shirts. Spurs certainly trail the other two in that respect, but perhaps their supporters don't like replica shirts..I don't, not as leisurewear anyway. :)
    I was talking about outside London, I don't see many people wearing Tottenham shirts either, the most popular are Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal in that order.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was talking about outside London, I don't see many people wearing Tottenham shirts either, the most popular are Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal in that order.

I see far more Chelsea shirts than Arsenal, and probably even more than Liverpool as well now.
    Also, due to Drogba, the Chelsea shirt has been the number one in Africa in recent years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What sells a club abroad is winning big trophies, not swanning off around the world.
    Chelsea have proved that over the last decade!
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,463
    Forum Member
    They've been the biggest club since Abramovich bought them. Money is now the all encompassing criteria for size.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    What sells a club abroad is winning big trophies, not swanning off around the world.
    Chelsea have proved that over the last decade!
    It is still important though to keep the fans abroad happy and to help promote the club in other countries, that's why Chelsea are going to America at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've been the biggest club since Abramovich bought them. Money is now the all encompassing criteria for size.

Years before Roman arrived, Ken Bates made a promise that Chelsea FC now had a longterm plan in place that would see Chelsea become the most successful club in London.
    After years without a pot to pee in and in fear of being kicked out of Stamford Bridge, at long last they had people willing to start pumping significant money into the club to not only buy quality players, but also rebuild the stadium at the same time.

That plan involved some serious financial gambles along the way, but it paid off bigtime!
    Imo, Chelsea FC earned their luck with Abromovich coming in.
  • Options
    Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Big clubs in London. Ha ha ha ha. I think the term you are looking for is big for London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically YES
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's still definitely Arsenal
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    No it's still definitely Arsenal

The same arsenal who have won nothing for nearly a decade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal are bigger historically, but the money and success has propelled us past them - on global scale few would consider Arsenal a bigger club.