Options

TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) 2014

Comments

• Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I saw this today and it was very average but not as bad as I thought it would be!

It's very cheesy and predictable.Megan Fox is terrible as April O'Neill but Will Arnett is great whenever he is on the screen.William Fitcher may as well have worn a badge saying 'I am the bad Guy' as its that obvious!

I actually liked the turtles once I got used to them and at least they are not Aliens like the rumours!

A previous poster said that Shredder is a robot which is wrong from what I saw as he just seems to be reduced to a henchmen with a few random lines!

3/5 which is properly me being too generous
  • Options
    farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big fan of the TMNT franchise and always had faith that with the way a lot of comic book movies have been going in the last few years - even with some "out there" concepts someone would look at the original comics and interpret that in the same way on the bog screen.

Sadly this was the pits, a genuinely horrible movie and pretty sets back the franchise worse than ever. Worst movie I've seen this year and definitely the worst TMNT movie by a long shot...and considering there's only been one good one (the 1990 movie) that's saying something.
    at least they are not Aliens like the rumours!

Those weren't rumours. That was the genuine plan that Platinum Dunes that the turtles, Splinter and Shredder be aliens even after the script leaked and was universally panned until Paramount halted production, slashed the budget hugely and ordered them to re-write the script.
    A previous poster said that Shredder is a robot which is wrong from what I saw as he just seems to be reduced to a henchmen with a few random lines!

This was actually a last minute change. Fichtner's character Eric Sachs was supposed to be an anglicized version of The Shredder and the climax of the movie would have have him donning the armor.

Earlier this year after production had wrapped all the actors and crew did re-shoots and shot new scenes to incorporate a Japenese Shredder and that Fictner's character was his lackey. Basically Fichtner was downgraded even though watching the movie you can tell Fichtner was supposed to be the main bad guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So that's why it appeared that Shredder was a henchman rather than the main bad guy!

If this was the worst film you have seen this year then you really need to see more films as this was a masterpiece compared to the disaster that was Transformers Age Of Extinsion!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    So that's why it appeared that Shredder was a henchman rather than the main bad guy!

If this was the worst film you have seen this year then you really need to see more films as this was a masterpiece compared to the disaster that was Transformers Age Of Extinsion!

Well I thought Age of Extinction was one of the better Transformers movies of course with the incredibly low bar they've set that's not saying much.

The thing with those movies are that they are what they are so it's difficult to get upset about the fourth movie in the series when you've watched the first three. That being said there were some genuine improvements with this one that I appreciate.

Also I think there's a really bad things that this movie does which I think makes it much, much worse.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of going to see the film next weekend but is it really that bad, if it is I'll save my money? I'm not expecting anything to tax my brain but is it the kind of film you sit there after 20 minutes waiting for the nightmare to end, looking at the clock or is it a not bad way of killing a couple of hours?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of going to see the film next weekend but is it really that bad, if it is I'll save my money? I'm not expecting anything to tax my brain but is it the kind of film you sit there after 20 minutes waiting for the nightmare to end, looking at the clock or is it a not bad way of killing a couple of hours?

I'm just on my way home from seeing and, for me, I did want to leave after 20 minutes. And around every 15 minutes after that. Just an awful, awful film. Megan Fox is ridiculously beautiful but she can't act for toffee.

Her performance in this seemed to consist of constantly sounding out of breath every time she delivered her lines.

The turtles were almost immediately unlikeable as well which didn't help.

How I made it to the end without walking out I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't mind the turtles that much as they were better than the awful Megan Fox who was totally miscast as April O'Neil.Although the script doesn't help her much!

It was just a very average film with a plot that seemed basic and simple like something from the 80's

Well Farscape if you believe that Transformers Age Of Extinsion is one of the better transformers films them maybe you need to rewatch it.The other Transformers film are bad but Age Of Extinsion take it to a whole new level.It was amazing how Michael Bay managed to make a film that boring!

TMNT is not the worst film this year but it's not the disaster that people are making it out to be.Its just a very average film with a terrible actress in the lead!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not expecting anything to tax my brain but is it the kind of film you sit there after 20 minutes waiting for the nightmare to end, looking at the clock or is it a not bad way of killing a couple of hours?

Bare in mind it's over that it's over twenty minutes before we get a proper scene with the turtles.

I actually think it unintentionaly works to the movie's benefit as by the time you've laboured through the truly boring April O'Neil story you find yourself more willing to overlook the flaws in the rest of the movie simply because it has some semblance of pace.
    Well Farscape if you believe that Transformers Age Of Extinsion is one of the better transformers films them maybe you need to rewatch it.The other Transformers film are bad but Age Of Extinsion take it to a whole new level.It was amazing how Michael Bay managed to make a film that boring!

I guess to me they are all about as bad as each other but I would put it above Revenge of the Fallen which even Bay himself who usually handles criticism very badly admits is "crap". I'd say in Age of Extinction I buy the connection between Optimus and the human characters more than I did in the previous movies. While the Transformers themselves seem a bit more developed, when Ratchet dies not only does it impact on the characters but it's important to the plot. Things like that make me rank it above the previous two.
    TMNT is not the worst film this year but it's not the disaster that people are making it out to be.Its just a very average film with a terrible actress in the lead!

I'd argue it is a disaster.

As a movie in itself it fails on a number of counts.

The cgi; This was supposed to be this movie's trump card, that if nothing else it would look good. For the most part it does but there are some parts were it's glaringly bad that it takes you right out of it. Everytime Splinter is onscreen it looks incredibly fake, I don't know whether the poor design just doesn't work in a live action setting or it was just poorly done in itself. The sequence showing the turtles as they grew up was actually a good idea but looked incredibly poor.

The action; again one of the major selling points of the movie falls short. Puttng aside that Ninja Turtles requires a certain amount of martial arts sequences which given that the turtles are now super strong mini-hulks I knew we wouldn't get however as someone who followed the production they did promise a certain level. Now the big Michael Bay-style action sequences while well done all seemed to end on an anti-climax. I kept waiting for a big "whoa" moment but it never happened.

Bad plots; While people may argue that plot isn't imporant in a movie like this as it's just there to set up the action it isn't an excuse for bad ones. Sach's plan to infect all of NYC is ridiculous. Wouldn't the US government get a tad suspicious that all of New York contracts a deadly disease and conveniently he comes up with a cure to sell? Are people in Manhattan blind that they wouldn't see the giant gas cloud coming from Sach's tower? Isn't their motivation to be "like stupid rich":rolleyes: undermined that they are already ridiculously loaded to have a big castle-like complex on the matterhorn?

The whole Spliter's life being in danger subplot was weak. Raphael shockingly leaves him in the ruins of the lair fate uncertain to rescue the others but then later out of nowhere it was part of their mission all along to get some mutagen to save his life? Since when was that their intention? How would Raph and April know mutagen would heal his injuries and not do smething like mutate him further? Is the mutagen a cure for this deadly disease? A miracle cure for extensive injuries? While we're at it adrenaline does not help overcome bloodloss.

Now that's just a few things that I think make it a bad movie in general but as a TMNT movie there's seem pretty drastic deviation from the lore that make it a bad adaption.

-Splinter learns and masters martial arts from reading a single book as well as appropriating Japanese culture to the point of growing a fu manchu beard.

-There is zero personal connection between Splinter and Shredder. That's the most important part of their origin, their whole motivation and it's gone. What makes it more galling is that the move tries to make it feel like they are life long enemies when they have no history.

-The turtles characterisation while technically correct in the sense that Donatello is the smart one and Raphael is the angry one and so on is very shallow. Every other version including the previous movies at least tried to show there was more to them than being one-note characters to varying degrees but this movie doesn't bother at all.

-The Foot being a para-military terrorist group based in New York that menaces the city regularly yet nothing can be done about it is apparently more realistic than an organised crime group that are trained ninjas to act in relative secrecy...apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly none of those points make it a disaster as they just make it a very average film.Although I have to disagree with your points about CGI and action as I found the CGI quite good and the actions scenes were properly the best part of the film for me especially when compared the action scenes in Transformers Age Of Extinsion that nearly sent me to sleep!

You seem to think that I think it's a great film which I don't as I just don't think its the disaster that you thought it was.Maybe I just didn't take it as seriously as yourself and just accepted it as a mindless blockbuster which it is!

I know it doesn't stick loyal to the original origin story but that didn't matter to me as I was judging the film on its own merits!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I've just come back from watching this and it really isn't that bad. It's a fun, fast paced film and I for one enjoyed it. I didn't take it seriously. Brought back memories of watching the cartoon when I was a kid. Also to add Megan Fox wasn't that bad either. People take movies like this way too seriously. Just enjoy it as it is with some popcorn.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QPRbabe wrote: »
    I've just come back from watching this and it really isn't that bad. It's a fun, fast paced film and I for one enjoyed it. I didn't take it seriously. Brought back memories of watching the cartoon when I was a kid. Also to add Megan Fox wasn't that bad either. People take movies like this way too seriously. Just enjoy it as it is with some popcorn.

I don't take films like this seriously, I really don't. I love a good brain-dead action movie with big set-pieces that I can lose myself in. This just wasn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly none of those points make it a disaster as they just make it a very average film.

Well I'd say at very least it makes it a bad movie.
    You seem to think that I think it's a great film which I don't as I just don't think its the disaster that you thought it was.Maybe I just didn't take it as seriously as yourself and just accepted it as a mindless blockbuster which it is!

Well I admit if you happen to be a fan it's much worse in the same way that if you happen to be a fan of Batman then Batman and Robin was much worse than it was.

The sad part is the I don't think mindless really cuts it when you have the Nolan Batman movies or Iron Man or Captain America: The Winter Soldier I think a certain levrl of quality is needed and while TMNT might be a harder sell there's certainly objectively good stories they could have drawn from.

I'm also not sure if blockbuster is really accurate. Obviously Paramount is going to bill this as a success but it's only just making it's budget back and it's budget wasn't that big for a movie of it's kind. It's not a flop but definitely not a blockbuster. Considering that the franchise is on a high tight now it seems disapointing.
    I know it doesn't stick loyal to the original origin story but that didn't matter to me as I was judging the film on its own merits!

Well that's a bit of a problem for me as I don't think the movie has much in the way of it's own merits.

Despite the fact that little is played to true to the the original concepts it relies heavily on knowing them. Despite having no history Splinter and Shredder talk as if their lifelong enemies, why should we care if Splinter dies as he was barely in the movie at that point? The only reason we care is because we like Splinter in other versions. Raph's heartfelt speech at the climax falls flat because we never saw him do any of the things he's apoligising for but we know he's done acted that way in other versions, April and the turtles consider themselves family at the end despite not showing any bonding between them - again we're supposrd to accept it because the comics, cartoons and movies did the legwork of building one. It's pretty lazy film making.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I accept your point about Splinter and Shredder but the whole thing about April and turtles is explained by the fact that them and Splinter were basically her pets when she was younger and does not rely on any past knowledge of the TMNT

I don't think its a bad film just very average
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panned by critics. As expected.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member

It was a weird one for me. I quite enjoyed it while I was watching it but after I came out I found myself thinking "that wasn't very good..."
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    My folks went to see it last night (3D) they seemed to enjoy it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    QPRbabe wrote: »

Maybe you are easily pleased, but for me a film has to be far better than just 'popcorn entertainment' to make me bother spending my money and time on it. As movie goers we need to up our standards and stop accepting these second rate movies. Depressingly this film will probably head straight to number 1. The reviews are bad and general feedback is bad but yet people will still flock in droves to see it. It's nothing to do with taking it too seriously, it's about filmmakers treating their audience with a bit more intelligence. I didn't take Guardians of the Galaxy seriously, but the difference is it's a film made by people who know how to tell a story with skill and wit. A blockbuster doesn't have to be brainless.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the film is shit and they've messed up the canon. I know it's had bad reviews. However i'm still going to see this simply because it's the TMNT and i love them. They were my childhood and the best TMNT movie was the original way back in 1990. It's dated but still stands up today.

I can't believe they've f*cked things up so badly. Why couldn't they just start from scratch and do a true origin story instead of this crap they've given us.
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    I don't care about all the bad reviews, i'm excited to see this. I hope it smashes the box office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it doesn't matter how it does at the UK box office as its already got a sequel green lighted!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this over the weekend. Whilst it's watchable enough and entertaining if you leave your brain at the door, it really is terrible. They've totally ruined everything with this re-boot.

There were certain points in the movie where i was thinking this is really bad and they're messing it all up. Don't get me wrong, it IS watchable it just isn't very good.

My main bugbears -

More focus on April O'Neill and less on the Turtles with Megan Fox literally pouting all the way through it. The amount of times the camera focuses on her pouting face is ridonkulous! At least a dozen times, SO distracting! What's worse is her face is so frozen you don't know if she's meant to be scared, frightened, angry etc.

Splinter is all wrong.

Shredder is ALL wrong. He is not a cyborg/robot but a man in a suit of armour, but he may as well have been because he looks and acts like one! Felt like i was watching Transformers anytime he came on screen. William Fichtner should have played him from the start.

I wasn't too keen on the voices for the different Turtles. Only one i think they got right was Michaelangelo. Donatello was very bad. Way too geeky!

Things i did like: Will Arnett, action and CGI was all very well done and i personally didn't mind the look of the turtles themselves and Michaelangelo raised a couple of laughs. Best scene for me was the scene in the lift! :D

Overall this is a movie aimed at the kiddie market, so young kids will lap this up!
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't take films like this seriously, I really don't. I love a good brain-dead action movie with big set-pieces that I can lose myself in. This just wasn't it.

Exactly. Some films are great that you can go to the toilet, but some more food and still not miss much plot but that doesn't mean to say every rubbish film is like that.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    They were my childhood and the best TMNT movie was the original way back in 1990. It's dated but still stands up today.

I agree. It's actually a decent film, the characters are consistent, Shredder is perfect, the music is spot on and there is a coherent storyline. I remember watching it for the first time when I was a kid, and the Foot clan crime wave at the start was genuinely a bit scary to me!

I haven't seen the new one, but will when it becomes available (out of cinema). I'll have low expectations. I expect it wont have anywhere near the personality and atmosphere of the 1990 version, cheap jokes will fall flat and the story will be all over the place. But Michael Bay films are always visually stunning, and I'm one of the minority that appreciates Megan Fox pouting her way through a movie.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I accept your point about Splinter and Shredder but the whole thing about April and turtles is explained by the fact that them and Splinter were basically her pets when she was younger and does not rely on any past knowledge of the TMNT

Ah, that's terrible.

Even in the 80s cartoon, I loved the back story between Oruki Saki (Shredder) and Hamato Yoshi (Splinter) in Japan before they both went to America. Even the slightly different 1990 movie version of the story - it was similar enough to have the same intrigue.

Are Splinter and Shredder even Japanese in the new movie??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think its a bad film just very average

That seems to be an instant establishing a bond between characters rather than building one and it comes off a little shallow.

If a normal person met the doctor that delivered them they might think it was a neat encounter but they wouldn't instantly make him or her part of their extended family. We accept it because we know they become close over a long period in other versions but those versions.

JimothyD wrote: »
    Ah, that's terrible.

Even in the 80s cartoon, I loved the back story between Oruki Saki (Shredder) and Hamato Yoshi (Splinter) in Japan before they both went to America. Even the slightly different 1990 movie version of the story - it was similar enough to have the same intrigue.

Are Splinter and Shredder even Japanese in the new movie??

Eh sorta.

Splinter starts off as a rat like the original comic books and movie but did not belong to or has any connection to Yoshi who doesn't exist in this movie.

Splinter learns ninjitsu from a book he found and also adopts Japanese culture from it. So while the character is not Japanese he acts like it.

Shredder is Japanese but he's never identified as Oroku Saki or given any backstory at all.