Options

Lee Evans retiring from Comedy.

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a611279/lee-evans-retiring-from-comedy-i-want-to-spend-more-time-with-family.html#~oWaPGSps4S7TUe

Nothing good ever lasts i suppose. A brilliant comedian, the best ever in my opinion. He actually makes me laugh unlike these new "Comedians" in recent years. It's a shame he is calling it a day.

Comments

• Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, I enjoyed his stand-up immensely. Hopefully he'll be back in a few years.

With a title like that though, I'm waiting for: "Lol what comedy?"
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Retiring from comedy? :confused: Wouldn't he have to get into it first? :p

Just pre-empting the inevitable posts of a similar nature ;)
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Nooooooooo.

I've always wanted to go see him live. Guess it's too late now :(
  • Options
    Kay_PriceKay_Price Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Oh, my fave by far :(
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny as piles IMHO
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he can reprise his role of Malcolm the scientist in DOCTOR WHO again sometime soon. If he's got any children they might love a look round the sets while he's filming. Especially the TARDIS!
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a God.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I hope he records an album at some point. He is a brilliant musician/ songwriter.
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get how someone can say thank god, Lee Evans isn't one of those comedians who is in your face every 5 minutes on TV. He's not on every TV comedy panel, he stays relatively quiet and makes his money by doing his shows, which sell out every time.

He's easily avoidable, so I don't see why anyone would be thankful that he's retiring.

Any ways i'm going to see him live next week for the first time in Cardiff and I cant wait.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's uncomfortable to watch him working up a sweat - by the end of his act he's drenched.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like watching him and do find him funny, but huge respect to him for knocking it on the head to spend more time with his family.

Maybe when his daughter has grown up he'll go back to it ?
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Funny as piles IMHO

His bbc comedy series 'So What Now' finally proved what a talent free void he is.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damned good in the play - Barking in Essex!
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a611279/lee-evans-retiring-from-comedy-i-want-to-spend-more-time-with-family.html#~oWaPGSps4S7TUe

Nothing good ever lasts i suppose. A brilliant comedian, the best ever in my opinion. He actually makes me laugh unlike these new "Comedians" in recent years. It's a shame he is calling it a day.
    He's one of the few (MacIntyre?, Kay?) that doesn't need to do any promo or plugging, go on any panel shows (Think the comedy galas are the only time I remember him actually appearing on TV, someone can correct me) and he can sell out entire arena tours on the back of his name alone

Most comedians don't have that brand power seemingly, but if he wants to spend more time with his family, I can respect that
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Retiring from comedy? :confused: Wouldn't he have to get into it first? :p

Just pre-empting the inevitable posts of a similar nature ;)

I thought he retired about 20 years ago etc, etc. ;-)

Tbf, I'm not a big fan but I have liked some of his stuff when I've caught him on TV.
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to see him live 3 times now so I'm pleased I've had the pleasure of seeing him live and to me he's brilliant and yet so humble and in love with his wife of 30years that's why he's retiring-to spend more time with her -Awww :)
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    He seems too young to retire in any meaningful sense!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    Nooooooooo.

I've always wanted to go see him live. Guess it's too late now :(

Seen him very recently (Monsters Tour, Leeds First Direct Arena). Never really been that into him before but the tickets were a gift for my boyfriend's 40th (who has always liked him) and we went along. He was absolutely brilliant and I loved it- even more than the boyfriend. The audience was buzzing and he seemed overwhelmed by the response. He does use up an incredible amount of energy in his performances and he might be saying what he has because he's toured this for a while now and has admitted to being knackered. Maybe after a rest and spending some time with his wife (who he has been with since a teenager and clearly still adores) he might 'get the itch' again and do something else. I hope so. In fact, it might even be missus Evans who gets fed up of him kicking around the house and gives him a shove because performing is in his DNA, despite what he says at the moment.

He has also recently said that the critics' opinions can get him depressed (some reviews of his recent tour have been a little bit smug and condescending) but that he also gets down when NOT performing so perhaps he's just evaluating where he stands at the moment and isn't quite sure himself. As I said, elsewhere- could one of those critics fill a stadium and have the audience in the palm of their hand? No, they couldn't. There's your answer. I witnessed the reaction to his set and it must have given him an incredible high. It must be difficult coming down from that, after having thousands of people giving you a standing ovation, especially when you have carried a two hour show, flying solo. Must mess with your head, sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Seen him very recently (Monsters Tour, Leeds First Direct Arena). Never really been that into him before but the tickets were a gift for my boyfriend's 40th (who has always liked him) and we went along. He was absolutely brilliant and I loved it- even more than the boyfriend. The audience was buzzing and he seemed overwhelmed by the response. He does use up an incredible amount of energy in his performances and he might be saying what he has because he's toured this for a while now and has admitted to being knackered. Maybe after a rest and spending some time with his wife (who he has been with since a teenager and clearly still adores) he might 'get the itch' again and do something else. I hope so. In fact, it might even be missus Evans who gets fed up of him kicking around the house and gives him a shove because performing is in his DNA, despite what he says at the moment.

He has also recently said that the critics' opinions can get him depressed (some reviews of his recent tour have been a little bit smug and condescending) but that he also gets down when NOT performing so perhaps he's just evaluating where he stands at the moment and isn't quite sure himself. As I said, elsewhere- could one of those critics fill a stadium and have the audience in the palm of their hand? No, they couldn't. There's your answer. I witnessed the reaction to his set and it must have given him an incredible high. It must be difficult coming down from that, after having thousands of people giving you a standing ovation, especially when you have carried a two hour show, flying solo. Must mess with your head, sometimes.

You have explained Lee Evans to a tee,he's very humble isn't he I found him amazed that so many people had come to see him-something you don't get from a lot of performers today -did he do a lovely song about his wife at the end of this years tour in Leeds ?-as he did in Brighton it was so touching,
    Yes you're probably right Lee may just need a break after all he has been working hard for the last 30 years,if you read his autobiography which strangely only talks about himself up to when he won his first gig when first married to his wife,but in the book he can never relax,he burns off so much nervous energy on and off stage he says so a rest might be good for him and his family although his daughter Mo is a teenager now,but I'm glad you loved his show-I laugh and laugh until my cheeks ache! :D
  • Options
    Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Gutted about this news, he's a brilliant performer and the only comedian I've ever seen live! I was hoping I might be able to go and see him again - but at least once is better than nothing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    He's one of the few (MacIntyre?, Kay?) that doesn't need to do any promo or plugging, go on any panel shows (Think the comedy galas are the only time I remember him actually appearing on TV, someone can correct me) and he can sell out entire arena tours on the back of his name alone

Most comedians don't have that brand power seemingly, but if he wants to spend more time with his family, I can respect that

I have a sneaking suspicion he might still do little things such as the Comedy Gala.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Grimsdale would be sad to hear this news, on the plus side cleaners across the country working in theater's and arena's are pleased to learn they'll no longer have to mop up 40 pints of sweat after one of Norman's performances. And no, I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    You have explained Lee Evans to a tee,he's very humble isn't he I found him amazed that so many people had come to see him-something you don't get from a lot of performers today -did he do a lovely song about his wife at the end of this years tour in Leeds ?-as he did in Brighton it was so touching,
    Yes you're probably right Lee may just need a break after all he has been working hard for the last 30 years,if you read his autobiography which strangely only talks about himself up to when he won his first gig when first married to his wife,but in the book he can never relax,he burns off so much nervous energy on and off stage he says so a rest might be good for him and his family although his daughter Mo is a teenager now,but I'm glad you loved his show-I laugh and laugh until my cheeks ache! :D

It's a wonder he was able to sit down long enough to write an autobiography, lol! I am going to try and read it because I was touched by the little speech he gave during his encore(s). He spoke about starting out and what it was like and compared it with how things were now. He seemed overcome and really humbled by it all. I don't think he could have faked that and he was incredibly emotional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    It's a wonder he was able to sit down long enough to write an autobiography, lol! I am going to try and read it because I was touched by the little speech he gave during his encore(s). He spoke about starting out and what it was like and compared it with how things were now. He seemed overcome and really humbled by it all. I don't think he could have faked that and he was incredibly emotional.

He did a similar thing in Nottingham. The show was over, we were all on our feet and he started talking about how humbled he was and thanking us for coming to see him, and it made you forget you were in a huge arena.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Mr Grimsdale would be sad to hear this news, on the plus side cleaners across the country working in theater's and arena's are pleased to learn they'll no longer have to mop up 40 pints of sweat after one of Norman's performances. And no, I'm not a fan.

He's very much like Norman Wisdom isn't he?!