Options

Will You Be Watching The Super Bowl?

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell of me watching that cr@p..
    Roll on six nations and the The Rugby world cup... :D

And the cricket world cup (not that England have a hope of winning it)

Odd numbered years are usually not as interesting in terms of sport but the calendar this year is pretty good.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Dear God no

American Football is designed for people with short attention spans and a love of statistics.

The game is only live for a few seconds putting it on a par with a Chess Match.

They have a massive squad of players with only a few having any skill and the bulk of the players just being freaks of nature.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I'm just here so I wont get fined ;)

Really excited to see the cheating Patriots witness the terrible defeat the Bronco's suffered last year at the Legion of Boom!! :) :cool:

Stephen A on first take was more worked up about Lynch than he was when he was talking about Aaron Hernandez's arrest for multiple murders.

Talk about getting your priorities straight!

I know next to nothing about the sport but what little I do know I can reference it back to English football. The Patriots are Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson. They win things in style and occasionally cheat to do so. They're reviled by the neutrals. The Dallas Cowboys are always being talked about as potential Super Bowl candidates but never live up to their potential. The way Stephen A talks about their head coach Jason Garrett reminds me of Rafael Benitez at Liverpool. Even though the similarities of two teams living off their history is apt, the Dallas Cowboys have the resources of a Real Madrid and should be able to buy their way into contention.

If you can fill in the gaps with regards with the other notable teams like the Ravens, Colts and Packers etc I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    Stephen A on first take was more worked up about Lynch than he was when he was talking about Aaron Hernandez's arrest for multiple murders.
    Talk about getting your priorities straight.

Stephen A was on fire. Aside from the point he was making about honoring contracts, I think he's taking it personally because he's a sports journalist himself. He thinks fans are being cheated out of getting to know Beast Mode, yet Marshawn is one of the more popular players in the league. I like Stephen A, but I think he's overestimated his own importance.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Dear God no

American Football is designed for people with short attention spans and a love of statistics.

They have a massive squad of players with only a few having any skill and the bulk of the players just being freaks of nature.

If you saw the amount of plays that the players have to LEARN before they even set foot on the pitch you wouldn't be saying that it was for people with a short attention span.

In answer to the OP, no I won't be watching it, I don't have the stamina to stay up that late anymore.

But anyway, go Spungos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I wont. Doesn't do anything for me

Out of curiosity, if this thread had been about rugby, would you have felt the need to 'put things into perspective' by naming all the sports that are more popular, globally, than it. Because there appears to be many.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell of me watching that cr@p..
    Roll on six nations and the The Rugby world cup... :D

The irony of someone denouncing it as crap then saying they like Rugby,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    Dear God no

All of the players have skill, otherwise Lawrence Okoye's venture into the sport would have gone far better than it did.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if this thread had been about rugby, would you have felt the need to 'put things into perspective' by naming all the sports that are more popular, globally, than it. Because there appears to be many.

Rugby fans don't start threads in GD asking 'who's watching the rugby World Cup final' they know nobody cares

Americans and the handful of people outside America who watch NFL don't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Superbowl 2014 115 million viewers, 98% in USA

Chelsea v City LIVE global audience of 650 million.

apparently. Puts things into perspective

Your figures are way off. Are you seriously suggesting only 2m people outside the US watch it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rugby fans don't start threads in GD asking 'who's watching the rugby World Cup final' they know nobody cares

It was out of interest to see what people thought of it. It's growing in popularity in the UK without any doubt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your figures are way off. Are you seriously suggesting only 2m people outside the US watch it?

I would have thought much less than 2 million outside the U.S. would watch it. I didn't make up the figures though, it's what was being reported

In glad you enjoy it, but you'll have a hard time converting people. It's a minority sport for a reason, not many people enjoy it
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not defend the Super Bowl but it's safe to say a lot more than 2m outside the US watch it.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still a sport even if it's scripted and the results are predetermined.

Sport implies a competitive activity. Something scripted with a pre-determined outcome clearly isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Not defend the Super Bowl but it's safe to say a lot more than 2m outside the US watch it.

Out of interest, where? I suppose if we're counting Canada and other North American countries it could be that many, but Europe/Africa/Asia/South America?

There's probably a football match on at the same time in every part of the world that people will be watching
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was out of interest to see what people thought of it. It's growing in popularity in the UK without any doubt.

Definitely is, Ireland too. The 3 sold out Wembley dates aside, the Dublin college fixture seems to be becoming a regular event.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what? What perspective are you going for?

By Americans, I assume you mean North Americans, seeing as Canadians have their own league? Last year's Canadian viewership averaged 8 million viewers, and I believe around 2 million in Mexico.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, where? I suppose if we're counting Canada and other North American countries it could be that many, but Europe/Africa/Asia/South America?

There's probably a football match on at the same time in every part of the world that people will be watching

Do they not count?
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Therefore is nfl going into a terminal decline

Yeah. Just the $9bn in league revenues last year, making it the highest grossing league in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they not count?

I'm sure they do, which means the viewers outside North America is probably a few thousand if that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they not count?

Neither do UK viewers apparently.

I've noticed a couple of the rugby snobs out on Twitter already with their "rugby with padding" comments.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of the players have skill, otherwise Lawrence Okoye's venture into the sport would have gone far better than it did.

I don't want to knock the sport, and I've posted that I used to be into it. Still, I've just read his wiki, and the fact that he got drafted having never played before would show that even coaches/recruitment people think that it can be coached quite easily and they're the experts. If they didn't think that then why draft him?

I can't imagine any other sport where a person would be signed by a team in the most elite league in the world based off nothing more than physical attributes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure they do, which means the viewers outside North America is probably a few thousand if that

However many there are, they count too.

How many does Wembley hold?
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Yes OP.I probably will watch the Super Bowl.but if the Patriots start to win,it's quite possible I'll get mad and shut it off :blush:

There's been no wrongdoing proved yet, I'll wait for the investigation first before I call them cheats. I liked the theory most that they'd pumped the balls up in the sauna.:D

It's totally fair to call them cheaters. They've been caught cheating before. I have no doubt that they are still cheaters. No matter the out come,with this locker room attendant,who was caught on video,I will believe that he was instructed by Coach Belichick and Tom Brady to deflate the balls. To quote Belichick ....if you're not cheating,you're not trying
    But the Colts balls weren't deflated, were they? And 11 of 12? With the 12th, properly inflated ball, presumed to have been saved for the kicker.
    That is 100% correct. Colts are an honest team. We have no need to cheat :)