HD v SD

1101112131416»

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, Faust when faced with uncomfortable truths always resorts to patronising BS. Your reputation goes before you.

If you don't like the response why ask the question? I don't see an uncomfortable truth, unlike you. If you want to follow me around the forums hurling insults then so be it, I have broad shoulders. I assume that's how you get your kicks? It's all pretty sad though don't you think?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    If you don't like the response why ask the question? I don't see an uncomfortable truth, unlike you. If you want to follow me around the forums hurling insults then so be it, I have broad shoulders. I assume that's how you get your kicks? It's all pretty sad though don't you think?
    OK, I'm learning bad habits. From you?
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    The charitable verdict on Faust is that he realised about 100 posts back that he had lost this argument and has been amusing himself since then by seeing how long he can keep winding up the rest of you.

The alternative verdict on Faust is that he really believes he is posting reasoned and intelligent arguments. :D

A little of both I would say.
    Forum Member
    I had a reasonable amount of athletics success of my own when younger, albeit that is some years ago now.

Egg & Spoon ?
    Forum Member

Course you are. Sad way to spend your retirement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Course you are. Sad way to spend your retirement.

I guess that's as close to a confession on your part that we will get. So I will spend my time more productively, debating with you being a fruitless exercise.
    Forum Member
    I guess that's as close to a confession on your part that we will get. So I will spend my time more productively, debating with you being a fruitless exercise.

I'm always willing to debate with someone willing to have a sensible conversation. Sadly you just want to respond with insults, so perhaps you should look to yourself in the first instance.
  • MJH1962MJH1962 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    The charitable verdict on Faust is that he realised about 100 posts back that he had lost this argument and has been amusing himself since then by seeing how long he can keep winding up the rest of you.

The alternative verdict on Faust is that he really believes he is posting reasoned and intelligent arguments. :D

Whichever it is, I suggest we cease responding to his posts. Maybe then he will get the message that he is all alone with his views.
    Forum Member
    MJH1962 wrote: »
    Whichever it is, I suggest we cease responding to his posts. Maybe then he will get the message that he is all alone with his views.

How can I be alone when it's one of the beebs highest complaints? Come on keep up laddie. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    "Faust is the protagonist of a classic German legend; a highly successful scholar but one dissatisfied with his life who therefore makes a pact with the Devil, exchanging his soul for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures. The Faust legend has been the basis for many literary, artistic, cinematic, and musical works that have reinterpreted it through the ages. Faust and the adjective Faustian imply a situation in which an ambitious person surrenders moral integrity in order to achieve power and success for a delimited term.[1] Translated as "fist" in High German, the name "Faust" suggests someone who resorts to extraordinary means to achieve goals, akin to if not actually involving force; it also implies unusual tenacity and persistence.

Plays and comic puppet theatre loosely based on this legend were popular throughout Germany in the 16th century, often reducing Faust and Mephistopheles to figures of vulgar fun."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust
    I just chose my name from my initials.:)
    Forum Member
    KaySea wrote: »
    "Faust is the protagonist of a classic German legend; a highly successful scholar but one dissatisfied with his life who therefore makes a pact with the Devil, exchanging his soul for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures. The Faust legend has been the basis for many literary, artistic, cinematic, and musical works that have reinterpreted it through the ages. Faust and the adjective Faustian imply a situation in which an ambitious person surrenders moral integrity in order to achieve power and success for a delimited term.[1] Translated as "fist" in High German, the name "Faust" suggests someone who resorts to extraordinary means to achieve goals, akin to if not actually involving force; it also implies unusual tenacity and persistence.

Plays and comic puppet theatre loosely based on this legend were popular throughout Germany in the 16th century, often reducing Faust and Mephistopheles to figures of vulgar fun."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust
    I just chose my name from my initials.:)

I didn't. :D. Love the eulogy though.
    Forum Member
    How can I be alone when it's one of the beebs highest complaints? Come on keep up laddie. :rolleyes:

So on average how many complaints do you send to the BBC per day ? :eek:
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I
    BTW... I never watch any sport other than tennis, football and most others leaves me cold, but I respect others devotion to their particular enjoyment. PVRs were invented for exactly this. After all, the 1000S "brings a smile to your face every time you switch it on".

Unfortunately for all viewers, both tennis and non tennis fans alike, PVRs will follow schedule changes to programmes provided they stay on the same channel.
    As soon as the BBC, in their wisdom, swap the tennis and other programming from BBC1 to BBC2 and visa versa, the PVR can't follow them.
    This results in Eastenders etc. fans missing their programme, and those tennis viewers who, for one reason or another, have to record the match they want to see missing theirs.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the days of analogue ... The broadcaster could signal The fact that the programme has changed channel .........But no VCR could understand the command !!!!!!
    So it was not supporting that in pure DVB SI the signalisation was not explicitly there .

Also it is was rare for a broadcaster to have two or more complimentary linked channels even without throwing programes between them in an un scheduled manner.

Now with series link and CRID it is possible to uniquely identify the programme ... But the complexity of understanding required to work out what needs to be done in a world Of grid EPG means that it is not likely to happen ...
    But if the guide was discovery based .... Then it is a lot more likely ..
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we rename this thread "Faust vs The Rest of DS" as this is what essentially it has become?
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    This is most definitely some welcome news this morning with the announcement of 5 more HD channels on our way. (Well welcome to everyone except Faust that is :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I am sorry to see that this thread has degenerated into a slanging match with certain members hurling insults at each other and comments posted which have absolutely nothing to do with the original subject I raised HDvSD
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I used to be actively involved in Athletics then of all things Motorcycle racing. However that was as a participant, I'm not into armchair sports. I'm also not one of those who lives my life in the reflected glory of what happens on a Saturday afternoon.

For that reason I dislike all sport on TV. Stop watching and start doing has always been my motto.
    I've been away - sorry about that - and return to see this has become hugely entertaining.

I'd ask just one question in relation to Mr Faust's suggestion that we get stop watching and start doing; exactly how does one get to see the world's best tennis (or motor racing, or football, or cycling etc without 'watching')? Sure I can go and have a knock about on court or a game of football with my boys, and I can drive a bit too fast up the M1 if the fancy takes me and I can even go out on the bike and hit some decent speeds or wait for the Sunday club ride, but world class sport it ain't. However you phrase it, we can all have a go, but it's the pinnacle of sports that attracts viewers. That's why Sky pay a couple of billion for the Premier League, why BT are lobbing all their eggs into a very expensive basket at the minute and why when the BBC find themselves with an absolute guaranteed audience puller (72% of the viewing population? blimey) they will stick with it instead of showing some filler that would have been put into the schedules for exactly that reason - that it can be easily dropped. Ever notice how ITV's CL coverage in the knockout rounds always has some weak filler to follow? Yep - so it can be dropped with no fuss.

Personally I'd love to know exactly what was scheduled for Sunday evening that Mr Faust was so desperate to see but couldn't due to the BBC sticking with something that apparently 72.8% of the viewing public wanted to see.
    Forum Member
    MJD314 wrote: »
    I am sorry to see that this thread has degenerated into a slanging match with certain members hurling insults at each other and comments posted which have absolutely nothing to do with the original subject I raised HDvSD

Welcome back, on the first page (post #6) you stated.....

"Anyow enough said. I am more interested in the quality of the programme content rather than the technical quality of the picture"

So why hundreds of posts later are you bothered that we're not still discussing HD v SD, enough said !

I think it's been quite a successful thread and it was certainly on topic for long enough (and I like others found it entertaining too). Maybe the OP could of been a little more active, possibly on the 'Content is King' SD side of the argument !

You never know, in the future you might want to upgrade your 26" HD ready TV and then you might acquire a little more appreciation for any good quality HD TV broadcasts.

Obviously no one should watch a programme for PQ alone, 'content' is very important and as far as I can 'see' a lot of that content is visual, after all TV is primarily a visual media and we are all going to experience that visual content slightly differently for the various reasons already stated in this thread.

I prefer to watch and listen to the content that interests me in the best quality broadcasted, others aren't that bothered and others have issues with HD TV that they really need to keep between themselves and their psychiatrist.
    Forum Member
    Current joinfreesat poll !

"What would you like freesat to focus on?

HD channels (63%, 2,149 Votes)
    On-demand (14%, 470 Votes)
    Stick to basics! (7%, 238 Votes)

SD channels (5%, 162 Votes)

Applications (2%, 62 Votes)
    PayTV channels (4%, 149 Votes)
    Servers / NAS (2%, 80 Votes)
    Set-top box choice (3%, 95 Votes)

Total Voters: 3,407"

So it would seem (*to me) that the vast majority of the visitors to the joinfreesat website (one presumes mostly Freesat or FTV/FTA Sat viewers) appreciate HD and want more channels in HD.
    Also there is a small minority that prefer quantity of channels over quality of picture and want more crappy antique primordial Swamp Dwelling SD channels. :rolleyes: (watching the highlights of the Ashes on one now :mad:)

(*other interpretations are available)

Better mention sport again. ;)

Triathlon, really nice to be able to watch/record them on BBC RB HD this weekend. :)
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I've been away - sorry about that - and return to see this has become hugely entertaining.

I'd ask just one question in relation to Mr Faust's suggestion that we get stop watching and start doing; exactly how does one get to see the world's best tennis (or motor racing, or football, or cycling etc without 'watching')? Sure I can go and have a knock about on court or a game of football with my boys, and I can drive a bit too fast up the M1 if the fancy takes me and I can even go out on the bike and hit some decent speeds or wait for the Sunday club ride, but world class sport it ain't. However you phrase it, we can all have a go, but it's the pinnacle of sports that attracts viewers. That's why Sky pay a couple of billion for the Premier League, why BT are lobbing all their eggs into a very expensive basket at the minute and why when the BBC find themselves with an absolute guaranteed audience puller (72% of the viewing population? blimey) they will stick with it instead of showing some filler that would have been put into the schedules for exactly that reason - that it can be easily dropped. Ever notice how ITV's CL coverage in the knockout rounds always has some weak filler to follow? Yep - so it can be dropped with no fuss.

Personally I'd love to know exactly what was scheduled for Sunday evening that Mr Faust was so desperate to see but couldn't due to the BBC sticking with something that apparently 72.8% of the viewing public wanted to see.

Well if we were all to follow your maxim then I assume you prefer watching sex to actually doing it yourself - blimey. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Current joinfreesat poll !

"What would you like freesat to focus on?

HD channels (63%, 2,149 Votes)
    On-demand (14%, 470 Votes)
    Stick to basics! (7%, 238 Votes)

SD channels (5%, 162 Votes)

Applications (2%, 62 Votes)
    PayTV channels (4%, 149 Votes)
    Servers / NAS (2%, 80 Votes)
    Set-top box choice (3%, 95 Votes)

Total Voters: 3,407"

So it would seem (*to me) that the vast majority of the visitors to the joinfreesat website (one presumes mostly Freesat or FTV/FTA Sat viewers) appreciate HD and want more channels in HD.
    Also there is a small minority that prefer quantity of channels over quality of picture and want more crappy antique primordial Swamp Dwelling SD channels. :rolleyes: (watching the highlights of the Ashes on one now :mad:)

(*other interpretations are available)

Better mention sport again. ;)

Triathlon, really nice to be able to watch/record them on BBC RB HD this weekend. :)

That poll is about as scientific as asking folk who had turned up to watch executions at the Guillotine if they would rather watch the heads come off or the old ladies knitting. Deary me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    That poll is about as scientific as asking folk who had turned up to watch executions at the Guillotine if they would rather watch the heads come off or the old ladies knitting. Deary me
    !
    High definition heads squirt brighter blood I believe.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That poll is about as scientific as asking folk who had turned up to watch executions at the Guillotine if they would rather watch the heads come off or the old ladies knitting. Deary me!

You would go that far? freesat are a EPG provider while they may wish for all sorts of things, it does rather rest with the broadcasters.