Ed Laurell sacked but Ally kept on for worse

bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
Forum Member
✭✭
Laurel turns up at work drunk and later making a below the belt comment about Archie. Jai sacked her but Ally has done worse. She phoned the police re Farchie. Number of times she has accused Jai of killing Rachel and he still keeps her. He made her a supervisor because of Rachel's demands.

Comments

• pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    The whole Ali scenario is a complete mystery to me. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and assume she can now read? I hated this family when they first arrived, but have changed my mind about Ruby and Rachel.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    The whole Ali scenario is a complete mystery to me. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and assume she can now read? I hated this family when they first arrived, but have changed my mind about Ruby and Rachel.

Mystery indeed. I don't know if she can now read as that issue is conveniently forgotten. We viewers remember a lot more than the script writers.:D
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much against his better judgement, Jai has to keep Ali on to have contact with Archie, the son he has with her sister.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the loyalty Laurel has served Jai, it is a disgrace to see her get sacked. Yes, she was drunk, but she has been working there for years. A lot more than Ali, who is a waste of space as a character.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jai I guess will scupper any job Laurel goes for, he is twisted re his view dingle related...new nasty Laurel will keep on the booze and Moron will boot her ...he still loves Donna..

Lets hope she goes Bobbit on Jai after he has destroyed her life
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    The answer is obvious. Jai has had nookie with her sister and now he fancies it on with Ally.

Why is beyond me since she looks like an addict but Jai married a horse so anything is fair game with him
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Laurel turns up at work drunk and later making a below the belt comment about Archie. Jai sacked her but Ally has done worse. She phoned the police re Farchie. Number of times she has accused Jai of killing Rachel and he still keeps her. He made her a supervisor because of Rachel's demands.

Ali could have taken Jai to a tribunal if he had sacked her over the Archie thing as it was a personal matter and she was at the end of the day reporting a crime which involved a child. Jai might not like it, but legally he had no grounds for sacking her.

Reporting to work under the influence of alcohol is a breach of most employment contracts and also health and safety regulations. Laurel really doesn't have a leg to stand on in arguing that he has been unfair in sacking her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Ali could have taken Jai to a tribunal if he had sacked her over the Archie thing as it was a personal matter and she was at the end of the day reporting a crime which involved a child. Jai might not like it, but legally he had no grounds for sacking her.

Reporting to work under the influence of alcohol is a breach of most employment contracts and also health and safety regulations. Laurel really doesn't have a leg to stand on in arguing that he has been unfair in sacking her.
    True, and grounds for instant dismissal. Especially as she presumably operated machinery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wyezed wrote: »
    True, and grounds for instant dismissal. Especially as she presumably operated machinery.

I know you both make sense with your well reasoned posts. :) However, this is in a soap where the writers forget details. Ali was reporting a crime, but she knew Jai was conned by Josh. I think she was being vindictive. She even thought that Jay had killed Rachel when he brought Farchie back.

Laurel was packing sweets. :D

Again I know you both make sense but the character Ally gets on my nerves.
  • ZebstrikerZebstriker Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone should have been sacked it should have been Kerry. Her sexual harassment of Kirin was like something out of the 1970s. Imagine if that was a man making those remarks to a 17 year old girl. His feet would not have touched the ground on his way out.
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The woman is never there it was only a matter of time before she got the well deserved boot! Same with Lisa. The staff are a liability
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally cannot stand Laurel with her put on posh accent however I dislike Forty/Sixty A Day more, she should never have been made supervisor he should have sacked her when he thought he had Archie in his arms, but for some reason the PTB on this show want to keep her at the forefront by giving her a prominent job in the factory, one that she wouldn't have a clue how to do.

I agree with the comment above about Kerry, she is ridiculous and so stereotyped, she isn't the only one by the looks of it, EE with Kat Slater and CS with Beth Whateverhernameis
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect there's a large dose of guilt at play in Jai keeping Ally on.
    He bought thst child with no concern for the wellbeing of his mother.
    He knows he didn't do the right thing and whether he likes it or not, Ally is family and family can say and do things that random drunk employees can't.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one of them has turned up for work drunk.
    Forum Member
    I know you both make sense with your well reasoned posts. :) However, this is in a soap where the writers forget details. Ali was reporting a crime, but she knew Jai was conned by Josh. I think she was being vindictive. She even thought that Jay had killed Rachel when he brought Farchie back.

Laurel was packing sweets. :D

Again I know you both make sense but the character Ally gets on my nerves.

Ali gets on my nerves as well and i'm sure there was some revenge involved in telling the police. But there was also a young child involved who might have been forcibly taken from his real parents, kidnapped or any number of other things. If Jai and Megan wereN't going to contact Social Services or the Police, somebody had to. Therefore Ali was doing the right thing, even if her motives were flawed so if it came to it, any representative of the Law (and solicitors, Mediators, Judges even in Employment cases are) would have to support her rather than the employer that had ended her contract for personal reasons.

Whilst annoying, Ali hasn't actually done anything wrong in a professional sense. Laurel has.
    Forum Member
    Only one of them has turned up for work drunk.

And that really is the crux of the matter.

plus, she has been unreliable, turning up late, taking sick leave due to her drinking too much.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zebstriker wrote: »
    If anyone should have been sacked it should have been Kerry. Her sexual harassment of Kirin was like something out of the 1970s. Imagine if that was a man making those remarks to a 17 year old girl. His feet would not have touched the ground on his way out.
    The writing for Kerry, man, has always beem vulgar; last evening's script was beyond vulgar, it was indecent. Would Jai and Priya have allowed Kirin to be subjected to such course inuendos?
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Jai.

But he was absolutely right to sack the even more annoying Laurel; she has nobody to blame but herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ali gets on my nerves as well and i'm sure there was some revenge involved in telling the police. But there was also a young child involved who might have been forcibly taken from his real parents, kidnapped or any number of other things. If Jai and Megan wereN't going to contact Social Services or the Police, somebody had to. Therefore Ali was doing the right thing, even if her motives were flawed so if it came to it, any representative of the Law (and solicitors, Mediators, Judges even in Employment cases are) would have to support her rather than the employer that had ended her contract for personal reasons.

Whilst annoying, Ali hasn't actually done anything wrong in a professional sense. Laurel has.

You give a more reasoned argument than I do.:) I let my dislike for the character annoy me too much.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

You see far too much good in Ali's actions kk.She reported Ja and Megan to the police 100% out of spite. He had explained that they were going to contact social services and Rachel herself was prepared to wait. Ali is an awful woman who cares only for herself, just like Rachel in fact.

Jai has given Ali the benefit of the doubt again and again, even allowing her the supervisor's job though she couldn't even read :o But she couldn't extend that to him even one iota >:( I can only hope he sacks her at the first opportunity as it's not even as if she helps him to see Archie and Rachel is so unconcerned she's thinking of doing a bunk with Archie again :(

As for Laurel I think Jai could have given her one more chance but of course the idea is for her to hit rock bottom and she needs to be without a job for that. On a side note doe anyone else thing she's become a raging alcoholic awfully quickly :confused::D
    Forum Member
    I do agree that Ali's actions were not altruistic but the result was still the 'right' thing in terms of idEntifying who 'fake' Archie was - as i say there might have been a oarent worried sick about him - so it is very difficult for jai to 'punish' her by taking her job away as he has no legal grounds to do so. And you know that Ali would be the type to take legal advice and sue him for wrongful dismissal, especially as she saw Lisa be reinstated when Jai tried to sack her a few months ago. So, in terms of why Laurel and not Ali, that is the answer.

I think Laurel has been unreliable for some time. Her drinking was heavy before Christmas, the number of empty bottles was the reason Marlon suggested dry January in the first place. We've seen her wake up with hangovers, ring in sick, be reminded not to be late in to work or take too long a lunch implying that is something that happens quite often. I think she is already meant to have had chances (a lot of employers would have started disciplinary action after her conviction for DUI) even if we haven't seen them all on screen.

It's about 6 months since the DUI isn't it and whilst that was a genuine mistake (she'd only had one when she wasn't expecting to have to drive) I think it is meant to have got much worse since then. Ironically, not having to stay sober because she might need to drive has taken one of the safety barriers away.

I wouldn't say she is a raging alcoholic - she's not drinking meths in the morning or passing out when she's looking after the kids. But, it has started to affect her life and she seems unable to give up completely so it must be considered a problem. As i understand it, having it cause problems at work (colleagues noticing you're hungover reguarly, even if you are not actually still intoxicated) or needing to rind in sick is one of the most common wake up calls.

I think it's been done reasonably well, they are showing how easy it is to cross the line from being a social drinker that using wine to destress or relax after a hard day to one that can't destress or enjoy themselves without alcohol.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She acted correctly calling the police
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the story is heading for Laurel to hit rock bottom. She will seek help and Jai will reinstate her because in the village the character appears to be more liked than Ally. Hopefully Jai will have the sense to make Ally redundant. He is overstaffed and needs to indulge in a bit in cost cutting. After all he did pay out £40000 for Farchie, of which he borrowed £20000 from Rakesh.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Laurel deserved to get sacked. Turning up drunk to any job is totally out of order, but made much worse by her working in a factory where there will be heavy machinery.

In all honesty I don't know how Ali and Jai can work together with everything that's happened but that's soaps for you:D
    Forum Member
    She acted correctly calling the police

Yes exactly, it may have been for the wrong reasons (wanting to get Jai) but her actions were certainly legally correct and i'd also say morally correct in the end result - which was a young boy being returned to the Authorities so they could find out who he was, contact his parents and find the person that 'sold' him. Yes. Jai was in fact a loving father -of very misguided one and not actually to that child) but the person that sold him could have some kind of ring going, getting children from womewhere and then selling them onto paedophiles. The Police needed to be made aware of the situation and I wouldn't have trusted Jao to do the right thing.