Options

The Green Green Grass - BBC HD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was it just me, or did BBC HD not show the final episode of this last night? It didn't appear in the folder when I looked this morning.

I see it is on BBC1 Scotland tonight, but obviously not in HD :(

Rgds.

Les.

Comments

• Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    Was it just me, or did BBC HD not show the final episode of this last night? It didn't appear in the folder when I looked this morning.

Rgds.

Les.

according to the Radio Times it was only in sd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    according to the Radio Times it was only in sd

I wonder why show the whole series in HD apart from the last episode? Strange :confused:

Anyway, not me going mad (this time :D:D )

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That’s the BBC proving they can also compete with the Government on incompetence.

Would not have been so bad if they had something that was new and important to show on the HD channel instead of a 2007 repeat that has been repeated more time than I can count on two hands.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why show the whole series in HD apart from the last episode? Strange :confused:

I'd keep the schedule intact just incase they decide to air it in the near future, the beeb tend to have some strange scheduling on HD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably incompetance, but here's a possible reason which makes some sort of half sense. I remember reading that BBC don't put out something on HD until it's shown on all regions (or simulcast with them all). If that's the case, and if one of the regions wasn't showing it last night perhaps due to some local event, they would defer it on HD until it was shown on that region.

Having said that, I'm almost sure I've seen stuff go out on BBC HD earlier in the evening than the same programme on BBC NI. It was simulcast with all the other BBC regions, but BBC NI's evening schedule was running later than the rest due to the insertion of a regional programme. Perhaps the rule only applies to the day that a programme goes out, not the time. Or, perhaps they don't care so much about NI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    Probably incompetance, but here's a possible reason which makes some sort of half sense. I remember reading that BBC don't put out something on HD until it's shown on all regions (or simulcast with them all). If that's the case, and if one of the regions wasn't showing it last night perhaps due to some local event, they would defer it on HD until it was shown on that region.

Having said that, I'm almost sure I've seen stuff go out on BBC HD earlier in the evening than the same programme on BBC NI. It was simulcast with all the other BBC regions, but BBC NI's evening schedule was running later than the rest due to the insertion of a regional programme. Perhaps the rule only applies to the day that a programme goes out, not the time. Or, perhaps they don't care so much about NI.

That's a reasonable theory.

However, I checked in TV-Browser, and BBC Scotland (the only region showing it late) were showing Holby City at 20:00 for an hour instead of Rogue Traders & The Green Green Grass. This doesn't look like a one-off regional event, although I can't check earlier weeks. Unless there are some viewers in Scotland that could confirm whether TGGG normally shows on Thursdays or Fridays in that Region.

Again, in TV-Browser, I've checked for rescheduling on BBC HD up to Sat 14th March, and it's not appearing yet. Although that doesn't mean BBC couldn't slip it in without me noticing (ooh matron !!)

I've emailed BBC on their webform asking for an explanation.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless there are some viewers in Scotland that could confirm whether TGGG normally shows on Thursdays or Fridays in that Region.

Les.

The series started on Thursdays, I watched that and Hustle live on HD. After Hustle finished they moved TGGG to Fridays.

BBC Scotland seem to have a strange "juggle the schedule" game as far as Holby is concerned. TGGG is a victim of that game!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series started on Thursdays, I watched that and Hustle live on HD. After Hustle finished they moved TGGG to Fridays.

BBC Scotland seem to have a strange "juggle the schedule" game as far as Holby is concerned. TGGG is a victim of that game!:D
    OK, thanks for confirming.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the reply from the BBC.
    Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'The Green Green Grass'.

I understand you were disappointed that the final episode of this show was not broadcast on BBC HD as you missed it.

The BBC HD channel is a showcase channel which broadcasts a selection of programmes from the main BBC output which showcase high definition television. It has to cater to the audience as a whole and scheduling decisions can therefore be difficult as there can be more programmes we would like to feature than time available to show them.

With the last episode in a series it can also be the case that schedulers ensure the first showing is exclusive to BBC One as this is our flagship channel.

You can view the schedule for BBC HD on the following webpage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/programmes/schedules

At the time of writing the episode was also still available to watch with the BBC iPlayer so I hope you may since have had an opportunity to watch it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hy07c/The_Green_Green_Grass_Series_4_For_Richer_for_Poorer/

I appreciate that you may still be disappointed therefore please be assured that I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks once again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Claire Jordan
    BBC Complaints